Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
grease monkey
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im pickin up a used 7mgte engine from japan to drop into my 87 cuz i blew my crank so im curious if its gonna drop in or if there is any mods needed to be done. any advice would be appreciated tia
Cameron

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
It's almost an absolute that you consider cracking open that block to perform some rudimentary refreshing of the block; bearing gap / tolerance inspection, replacement of all coolant, PCV, and vacuum hoses, new head bolts, and definitely the HG.
Please note, the last time anything 7MGTE was in a JDM chassy was ~'90-91. So, either that motor was sitting around for 16+yrs, or this establishment sold you some "JDM" jive. If I had to wager, I'll bet you've got a "very" used USDM motor....

·
Heavy Right Foot
188 Posts
you'll know pretty much right away if it's actuall a jdm motor.. by the above mentioned and the throttle cable linkage is different..

i switched the entire intake manifold when my newish motor came in, throttle body is a little different..

plus the comfort of new seals and gaskets is comforting..

·
function > form
512 Posts
You blew the crank??? As in scored journals from oil starvation or actually breaking it? If so, how did that happen?

·
grease monkey
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha jus scored the journals down 2thou " so and as far as gaskets go, parts are here new hg and full gasket set, im gonna rebuild the whole engine and could some one breif me on if i shuld throw my old egr bak on or is it good without?

·
Formerly Nosechunks
1,071 Posts
haha jus scored the journals down 2thou " so and as far as gaskets go, parts are here new hg and full gasket set, im gonna rebuild the whole engine and could some one breif me on if i shuld throw my old egr bak on or is it good without?
Cut crank and rebuild origional motor, case closed.

Its simple and cheaper, just get a gasket set, main and rod bearings, and the crank cut and call it a day.

·
Banned
330 Posts
i swear this thread was gonna be about a jap engine in a ford or chevy or something .btw it should be a simple procedure considering its from the same car

·
grease monkey
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts