Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a friend of mine recommended sending my engine in to Jasper Performance Group for a rebuild. He claims they can make a 7M-GE gain 50hp more than stock form for a price of $3k plus parts, with a 3 year 100k mile warranty included. It sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have experience with this company?

·
Registered
594 Posts
time to evaluate if that person (that recommended a jasper engine on an import) is a friend or not....

where do they find 50hp on a 7m anyway? they are not putting in new performance cams at that price. I just don't see that much free hp available in the na 7m.

speaking from experience, 3k gets you a turbo conversion and whole lot of fuel/electronic parts provided you can do it yourself. prob pick up 150whp if you compare stock [ na 7m ] vs[ 7m+56trim+14psi]

·
7M Fanatic
3,064 Posts
Just what does this $3k include?
What parts do they want you to buy? (what is their master plan?)
Cams? Hi Comp pistons? larger valves? Better valve springs? Electronics? larger throttle body?
Do they un-shroud the valves? Porting using a flow bench? After market rods? Head studs?
What do they do for fuel management, as the stock barn door AFM is a big restriction.
Is the $3K just for machine work & assembly ?

They have an excellent rep, and have been around for a long time, but have never considered them to do anything for me, even though they are just across town from where I live.
Always thought of them as a circle track, American V8 place.
If you are in San Antonio, go talk to them.

By the way, I out run 1JZs with my GE, but I probably have 10 times that in my engine.
If I had to do it all again, and could go back in time 35 or so years , I would have bought a used 2JZ NA, and threw a turbo kit on it.......

·
YotaMD.com author
699 Posts
Having owned a GE, ridden and driven a well tuned GE and then owned a bunch of GTEs... I don't know why you would spend $3k+ on a 7MGE. For $3k you could slap on a small turbo and have way more than 50 extra hp.

I do vote stick with the 7M though. 1JZ swaps at or near that price point are going to be sloppy (or luckily scoring super cheap parts).

·
7M Fanatic
3,064 Posts
Probably not if Monsoon's engine is well worn, just 'slapping' a turbo on it will result in even a shorter time until final failure.
Worn valves, rings, bearings, smaller oil pump, higher compression pistons, stock head gasket, just to mention a few things that will lead to engine failure quite quickly of a 30 year old engine.
Then you have to figure in that it's a 7M, with a long history of blowing up due to cheaply done upgrades, even when they were only 10 years old.

There is an old saying about building on weak & shifting sands....

·
YotaMD.com author
699 Posts
Probably not if Monsoon's engine is well worn, just 'slapping' a turbo on it will result in even a shorter time until final failure.
Worn valves, rings, bearings, smaller oil pump, higher compression pistons, stock head gasket, just to mention a few things that will lead to engine failure quite quickly of a 30 year old engine.
Then you have to figure in that it's a 7M, with a long history of blowing up due to cheaply done upgrades, even when they were only 10 years old.

There is an old saying about building on weak & shifting sands....
Oh absolutely agreed. If the current engine isn't excellent, that's where he needs to start. Either fix current or buy another and get a fresh baseline to build from.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You’re close to 1JZ swap money at that point.
Pretty sure they're using the GE as a counterweight for the engine crane that hoists the "$3000" JZ into its new home. :p

Seriously though, "$3000 plus parts" can get REAL expensive, REAL fast, especially when considering that a 7m was pretty well sorted out of the box. I've seen a couple that put out some power NA, but I can count them on one hand... Even the 2jz-ge I've only seen barely crack the 300whp point with a LOT of quality work done to it.

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
Jasper offers cleanly done rebuilt engines, but in stock trim for the most part. Back in the day, they did nice 7M-GTE remain shortblocks and longblocks and typically did the machining well enough that you could just install an MHG without any fuss. Toward the end, I believe they offered a metal headgasket and ARP studs, but that was the extent of their upgrades.

Jasper offers a lot of different HP levels in things like SBC, SBF, etc rebuilds, but not for 7M-GE's and I'd honestly be shocked if they even still offered a 7M rebuild. There's so much required to pick up 50hp on a GE, that your friend is simply full of shit and/or confusing Jasper's options for V8's that are easy to bump HP on with milled heads, etc.

A very good friend of mine is the regional rep here for Jasper and he personally owns a nicely built 7M-GTE MK3, and we have never spoken about 7M builds by Jasper unless it's a quip about 'back in the day'.

So yeah, all in all, I wouldn't sweat it or spend the $3k on one even if it was available. $3k will go a long way toward a JZ swap though, and that's a much, much better option!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts