Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pics I took of my catch can install this weekend, lmk what you think. Please ignore the ugly engine bay :)
mysupragallery.com

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
looks good nice work, That u blowing ur Turbo in the avatar? hah

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope -- it's cramerizking. :bigthumb:

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
the second line is going to the block right? And you basically removed the line from block to valve cover buy the alternator?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
catch2nd said:
the second line is going to the block right? And you basically removed the line from block to valve cover buy the alternator?
No you don't remove the line by the alternator. That fat hose next to the oil cap has to stay there. You are supposed to vent from the top of the valve covers behind the 3000 pipe. Those two ports is what you are venting.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trent said:
No you don't remove the line by the alternator. That fat hose next to the oil cap has to stay there. You are supposed to vent from the top of the valve covers behind the 3000 pipe. Those two ports is what you are venting.
Yep -- I just joined the two vents (like on an NA), ran them to the catch can, then ran that back to the TB at the stock location. Capped off the port on the accordian hose.
This is where I originally saw this mod -- C. Jensen -- but I have done it a little differently, like some setups seen here on SF.

Also, it has recently occured to me to watch for oil condensation on the headlight, but I shouldn't get much, if any. (unless I have a really big problem in the engine) HTH

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
CassMori said:
Yep -- I just joined the two vents (like on an NA), ran them to the catch can, then ran that back to the TB at the stock location. Capped off the port on the accordian hose.
This is where I originally saw this mod -- C. Jensen -- but I have done it a little differently, like some setups seen here on SF.

Also, it has recently occured to me to watch for oil condensation on the headlight, but I shouldn't get much, if any. (unless I have a really big problem in the engine) HTH

yea... i'm an idiot, somehow i didn't see the line going to the TB

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update:

I've just disconnected the catch can today, partially as a diagnostic experiment. The first thing I noticed, with the orginal pcv hoses connected, is the turbo spools much quicker/sooner. The only reason I can think of for this, is having the hose reconnected to the accordian hose (the top of the catch can, at present, is just vented to atmosphere, via small K&N filter). I plan on attempting to shorten the hoses to the valve covers, and running a hose from the top of the catch can back to the accordian hose, to closer duplicate the stock system. The reason for this is primarily excessive smoke from the exhaust during startup & hard accel in low gears. I think this is from improper crankase ventilation. I really noticed how bad it was yesterday, when Toyota's alignment guy let the clutch out too quick ( :D ) going on the alignment rack, killing the engine. When he restarted, a huge cloud of (white) smoke came out the exhaust. This wasn't a problem before the catch can went on, thus, the aforementioned "diagnostic experiment".
Another thing I have noticed recently, it my oil consumption has went up quite a bit, no doubt partially to the visible smoking, but it also must be burning oil more than just when I can see it. We'll see, I'll run this stock setup for a while, then switch back to the can with the accordian hose hooked up, see what I get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts