Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Car is being held ransom.
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

before I ask my question, I just want to say that I took my time to research etc. online and on this site, but I never found any solid facts about what I am looking for.

What is the difference between a JDM engine and a US Spec engine? I have asked a couple people and some say that it is only the wiring that is different. They could be wrong,b ut I am not sure.

Thank you.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
JDM 2jzs have ceramic turbine blades in the stock twin turbos=weaker.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
nadda

·
Car is being held ransom.
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could I just swap out the turbo's for US spec turbo's?

I e-mailed someone selling a JDM front clip and this is what he had to say about the Cermaic turbo blades.

"That's technically not true, the loss in horsepower was dictated by Japanese law requiring horsepower to not exceed 276HP on an street car. Toyota just effectively turned down the boost. Ceramic blades actually aid in spool up and while stock does not put out as much as a USDM motor, with a boost controller the car could easily be made to produce 320 or more with the ceramic bladed turbos. Australian spec Supra's came with the JDM versions of the engines but produced 310HP stock."

"I can try to find you a US spec engine, but they are extremely expensive and rare (there were only roughly 2300 made for the US). Your better option is the JDM motor simply due to price and at the end of the day you'll mostly likely end up upgrading the turbo anyway when you get to the point that it maxes out either stock turbo."

Is the stock boost set lower on the JDM versions? If so, I could just raise the boost to US spec.

·
Registered
201 Posts
JDM engines also have 440cc injectors instead of the US spec 550cc, and the exhaust cam is less agressive on the JDM motors.

Nothing that can't be upgraded easily...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
From what it seems to get the JDM version motor to US spec you need to replace the cams and the turbo plus the injectors.... seems like that's it.... any other things guys? Here's my question.... when you go and decide to upgrade your cams do you have to tell them that it's a JDM ?.... or would it be the same as the US just the lift is a bit different? Thanks guys

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Also, 1999+ 2JZ-GTE's have VVT-i, we never had VVT-i in North America on the 2JZ-GTE. (2JZ-GE got it in 1998).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts