Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about the JDM engine being with only 280hp and will probably never be legal in CA, but what about a JDM 6 speed tranny into a USDM car with USDM engine and USDM ECU? Trannies should be the same JDM and USDM im assuming ...

·
Banned
865 Posts
I heard there were some issues with the RHD and the direction of the shifting, but im not too sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought it doesnt matter as far as shifting, first gear and rear wheel drive is in the same spot in both JDM and USDM trannies... as far as i know.

·
Turbo LAX
274 Posts
msivyhuynh said:
I know about the JDM engine being with only 280hp and will probably never be legal in CA, but what about a JDM 6 speed tranny into a USDM car with USDM engine and USDM ECU? Trannies should be the same JDM and USDM im assuming ...
Same gearbox, just a JDM smoke and mirrors agreement on power output.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Actually I believe the Jap spec tranny is a V-161. It has different gear ratio's, but would probably still work.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Wonder how different the ratios really are. Any of the Jap guys can chime in on this?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The JDM engine is actually rated at 280 at the wheels, while NA is 320 and the crank, so they are actually very similair in power output. The JDM tranny will work fine in a USDM one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so some say the gears are different in the JDM tranny... so are they shorter or longer, and i hope i wont need a JDM diff.

it will bolt on
gears are in same place

longer/shorter gears?
ESDM ecu will work with jdm tranny and plug right in?
JDM diff needed?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boosted&Confused said:
I just looked at a jdm 6spd tranny thats on ebay yesterday. It is the v161 with different gearing. Its 3.26 I thing http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/getrag_ratio/getrag_233_ratio_info.xls
shows the different between the two

Theres also a 6spd NA tranny. that one has a 3.769.
good find, dang i didnt know they had 6 speed NA trannies. So the one on ebay you are saying is a 6 speed NA tranny? 2 different types are V-161(jdm) and V-160(usdm) so the 6 speed NA tranny is the v-161 or is there a 3rd type of 6 speed?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
msivyhuynh said:
good find, dang i didnt know they had 6 speed NA trannies. So the one on ebay you are saying is a 6 speed NA tranny? 2 different types are V-161(jdm) and V-160(usdm) so the 6 speed NA tranny is the v-161 or is there a 3rd type of 6 speed?
No, the one on ebay is from a supra twin turbo from what the seller told me. The 6spd NA tranny is JDM only and its the v161 and its basically the same as the v161 in the turbo except the extra short gearing. It was an option for 97+ na supras in Japan.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Jesus, don't think i have ever seen so much BS in one thread !

V160 = 6 Speed TT tranny in JDM, USDM, UKDM, etc
V161 = 6 Speed NA tranny (JDM only)

Yes the ratios are different between the V161 and V160 so that the 161 suits the NA better.

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
yea the nov 97+ jdm N/as were given all shorts of options. Basically only way to tell was to look under the hood. Whereas befire I believe teh Trac switch was a giveaway. 97+ N/As were also given the torsen lsd. Think that made things easier for a n/a -> T switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts