Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first time posting but long time reader. I recently purchased a 96tt 6spd but it's missing the entire drivetrain (eng,trans,diff). Ive come across a Jdm 6spd rear diff but it doesn't look like the usdm rear diff( it doesn't have the ears). Been doing a lot of searches on supra forums n google. I found only one post that said that sum jdm 6spd rear diff don't have the ears but just wanted confirmation from others on this site. Thanx for the help if any

·
97 HARD TOP
1,044 Posts
well posting a picture of it would help alot. not really sure what your asking here. im assuming you want us to verify that it is one but without a picture and more detail, its not going to happen

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They guarantee that it's a 6spd LSD. When I check it both wheels should spin the same direction right.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
no, a torsen led will act like an open diff if one wheel looses complete traction.

I doubt that link is a RZ 6spd diff. The late model RZ 6spd cars did use the smaller size case but they also came with the TT brake calipers. You can see NA calipers so best guess would be it's a SZ-R 6spd diff which is actually the RZ auto differential.

Also for that price, I'm assuming you need to pay shipping too, you could go buy a gs400 differential and get an aftermarket lsd.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wait wait...
You bought a 96 Twin Turbo 6 speed?

You sure about that?
In 96, you couldn't get a Twin Turbo with a 6 speed... So either converted auto or NA 5 speed swapped to TT

Post a pic of the engine bay

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry a 95TT 6SPD

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well yours def.looks like a TT 6spd rear diff. Because of the cooling ears. Affixrider did u receive your diff yet?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I dunno, the drivers side axle is shorter, which leads me to believe it is a 6-speed diff, just weird. I do not know crap about the jdm diffs though, so someone with more experience should probably make the car. The auto diffs have same length axles on both sides though, iirc

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes sir, they had it to my house in less then two weeks after i purchased it.
Yeah they ship it quick. I'm suppose to be receiving mine today. I wish mine looked like yours though.

·
97 HARD TOP
1,044 Posts
well did they confirm on what yours ways? at least yours is clean. i had to take some grease remover and a pressure washer to mine

yours might end up looking like mine. in my ad it says "actual pictures posted" but in your ad it doesnt say that. so the one they have could just be a example of what they carry. after all they did tell you that yours was a 6 speed lsd one

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, it is a 6spd LSD diff.

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts
JDM TT 6-spd's made after 5/96 had a 3.266:1 rear diff that was the same size and casing as the TT autos. So these won't have the cooling fin arrays on either side of the diff cover, but will have a 3.266:1 final drive with the Torsen LSD, but it's a 200mm differential like the TT auto/NA stuff and in the same carrier as the TT auto/NA.

The JDM TT 6-spd's made before 5/96 had the 220mm 'big' diff we all know and love as the '6-spd' diff, but with a 3.266:1 final drive as well. Otherwise they're identical to the USDM/Export TT 6-spd differentials.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Anybody know if the JDM 6 speed torsen diff will support the same power as the USDM?

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts
Anybody know if the JDM 6 speed torsen diff will support the same power as the USDM?
Early JDM ones are every bit as strong as the USDM export ones, because they're identical aside from the final drive ratio.
The Torsen LSD itself is crap above 500whp because it will briefly act like an open diff between gearshifts, which at higher power levels makes the rear of the car violently jerk to one side. Most 600+whp folks, particularly drag racers, opt for a TRD LSD which replaces the Torsen with a much more effective clutch type LSD. Road racers prefer the OS Giken Super Lock LSD which is a very advanced 1.5 way LSD and is literally the best of the best.

The later JDM TT 6-spd diffs that share the smaller 200mm ring gear size with the TT auto's and NA's, so they're weaker. How much weaker depends on who you ask. Driveline parts break from shock not from HP, and while HP/tq is a factor in that equation, it's not the only variable.
I've seen BPU TT 6-spd's grenade their USDM big diffs at the drag strip by sidestepping the clutch off the rev limiter on VHT'd drag radials, and I've seen TT auto 'small' diffs behind drag Supras survive repeated 1.3x & 1.4x 60ft launches off of a transbrake'd TH400 on 15in wrinklewalls that dipped into the high 8's.

So long as there's some 'give' in your driveline, by doing things like slipping the clutch, running taller tires with soft sidewalls, running sprung clutch discs, keeping the rubber 'donut' between the driveshaft and the diff input flange, etc, you can support huge power with a small diff. I personally would only consider the 220mm 'big' diff from a US spec Supra or an early JDM a mandatory item if you were over 1000whp. At that point, of course, the TRD LSD or other proper clutch-type LSD is basically mandatory too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there, just a question about the differential/transaxle, since this thread regards theses parts....

I need to know in wich way the driveshaft (Getrag <=> Diff) ratates to the supra run forward... is it clock wise or counter clock wise?

With best regards,

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts
Hi there, just a question about the differential/transaxle, since this thread regards theses parts....

I need to know in wich way the driveshaft (Getrag <=> Diff) ratates to the supra run forward... is it clock wise or counter clock wise?

With best regards,
Marson,

From the front of the Supra looking towards the rear, the differential (and driveshaft) are spinning clockwise to make the car go forward.

I hope that explains it clearly enough!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts