Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all these realy noob questions but i'm just tring to find all this stuff out before I swap my sc300.

Anyway, how much power can a JDM auto tranny hold? It would be switched out for a 6-spd later on but I need to know its limits for the time being while I save money for the 6-spd. My plan is to baically swap the engine/tranny in and throw a good size single on it, like a GT42R or GT47 with supporting mods of course and be happy.
Any help will be greatful!

·
The Don of SF!!!
91 Posts
IIRC .... 550 whp would be like borderline .... anyone care to correct me?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd keep the stock tranny at about 450rwhp to be safe - 500rwhp would be borderline and anything more expect your tranny to grenade in a short while :). Also depends on your driving style...ie: if you brake boost often?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Damn, 450whp, thats it? I mean I could keep the stock sc300 W58 tranny for that with upgrades. A torqe converter would allow for more power, right? Or is 450whp-500whp the limit for the gears? Any upgrades I can do to it to allow for more power besides?
Do tranny coolers do much?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I searched this awhile ago and talked to BL. From what I remember the stock turbo tranny will only hold 500 whp for so long. It will last longer with a torque converter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, tranny coolers are a must. Heat kills auto trannys. The bigger the better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Whos BL?

Okay, I thought you were talking about a member but then I relized it is Boost Logic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine was running about 450/500 with a 3800tc. But after about 4000/5000 miles i could feel it was getting weaker and weaker.

If i were you i'd look into getting the BL box or SP one. And if you have the money definatly do the 6 speed swope. It's like a totally new car when you've done it :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts