Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I purchased a really nice JDM motor (had bad luck with about 3 not headgasket but rod knock) and the shop just took one head bolt out of time and put in ARP head bolts and torged them down to 84/lb

is this a good idea? without replacing? the engine is an actual good condition one as just looking inside the water housings its all still grey as oppsed to brown/orange from water.

write back thakn you for everyones help.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Im gonna have to say that its not a very good idea not to replace it. Shit your already there when you remove the head studs you shouldnt just went with a lil more insurance and replaced it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
CalgarySupra said:
Hello, I purchased a really nice JDM motor (had bad luck with about 3 not headgasket but rod knock) and the shop just took one head bolt out of time and put in ARP head bolts and torged them down to 84/lb

is this a good idea? without replacing? the engine is an actual good condition one as just looking inside the water housings its all still grey as oppsed to brown/orange from water.

Don't be too surprised say If the headgasket lets go. What you did was disturbed the stock gasket by relieving tension, and now tightening it even more. The wise decision was to replace everything while your in there. I contemplated doing the same with my JDM engine but I didnt, if it's going to blow its going to blow, then fix it properly after.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nooooo. ok i will tell them sicne they didnt even change it yet. but screw stampede toyota its all their fault.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
CalgarySupra said:

Quite possibly, the reason why your last engines died might have been due to a leaky hg which allowed coolant to enter the block and cause "rod knock". Just my guess, it's happened to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no i thought retorguing hq was good?

no the all had rod knock for various reasons, basically they where all abused

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
CalgarySupra said:
no i thought retorguing hq was good?

no the all had rod knock for various reasons, basically they where all abused
If the HG is still relatively new, it should be fine with a retorque... but if it's crossed the ocean and who knows how many miles are on it; I'd change the hg for a new one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
And since you did the bolts and the head will be coming off....you should make sure that it's resurfaced so you can use a metal headgasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts