Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Champagne Papi
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stumbled across an NSX ad in the FS section earlier and realized the 25 year rule allows 1991 JDM NSXs to start popping up. This isn't news, but as most may know the NSX has held its value and maybe even started appreciating lately.. I have never seen one sell for less than 20k regardless of the status of the title, mileage..etc. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out until 2018 when the MKIVs end up at our shores. I feel this NSX saga is a good indicator to see whats to come. #fuckelnino

edit: I looked up several japanese auto trader type websites for an NSX-R.. have they become complete unicorns?

·
Trust In Trance
803 Posts
Previous model is timeless....pure sex on wheels. It looks good now as it was 25y ago. If i would of have to choose between new and old one, i would take the old one in a blink of an eye.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I thought I had read at least once that NSX-Rs were also manufactured in LHD, just not for our market. I'm not 100% sure about that but if it's true...that's pretty awesome news. :)

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
I wouldn't import one due to lack of documentation. I'd wait for the right USDM model for the right price, condition.

Very high up on the acquisition list is a 93-94 Brooklands Green/Tan or ./Black 5spd with a Comptech and black Enkei's. Couple more years and moving to a much larger garage and friendly state to fill a few more niches.

I was interested in the NSX long before Supras, my day will come.

·
Registered
545 Posts

R - Accident repaired
*** - Accident non-repaired
3-3.5 - Average condition
4-4.5 - Great condition
5 - Near new / New

USD exchange rate being so great you can snatch a decent one for as low as 15k usd
I would't bother directly importing into US as importation I wouldn't believe has been well established yet...
Canada import/registration then US import seems a better route...
5 and 6 speeds are going for approximately the same price but rarely come on

·
The Caravan Aficionado
5,000 Posts

R - Accident repaired
*** - Accident non-repaired
3-3.5 - Average condition
4-4.5 - Great condition
5 - Near new / New

USD exchange rate being so great you can snatch a decent one for as low as 15k usd
I would't bother directly importing into US as importation I wouldn't believe has been well established yet...
Canada import/registration then US import seems a better route...
5 and 6 speeds are going for approximately the same price but rarely come on
for anyone reading this, 15k (in total) number is a little unrealistic. You should factor in around ~5000 having a it shipped, paperwork, brokering fees for the importer ect

US importation is all about who you have doing your paperwork, there are plenty of competent importers out there...but on the same token, equally terrible ones as well

As mentioned, most that come on the auction block are auto. Manuals are few and far between and are roughly in the same ballpark as their USDM counterparts...just know that you still have to get them over here, so unless the RHD factor is what makes the car, its almost not worth it

FYI, been watching the market for a while now as more and more cars become available for import

·
Registered
545 Posts
for anyone reading this, 15k (in total) number is a little unrealistic. You should factor in around ~5000 having a it shipped, paperwork, brokering fees for the importer ect

US importation is all about who you have doing your paperwork, there are plenty of competent importers out there...but on the same token, equally terrible ones as well

As mentioned, most that come on the auction block are auto. Manuals are few and far between and are roughly in the same ballpark as their USDM counterparts...just know that you still have to get them over here, so unless the RHD factor is what makes the car, its almost not worth it

FYI, been watching the market for a while now as more and more cars become available for import
I hope you know I meant 15k car cost and not total especially you mentioning you looking at the market and this sample i posted

·
The Caravan Aficionado
5,000 Posts
I hope you know I meant 15k car cost and not total especially you mentioning you looking at the market and this sample i posted
Just wanted to clarify for those not as experienced as us who may be reading this thread; dont want to give anyone false hope :)

On a side note, id be quite hesitant diving into that 126,000km nsx that has been hit even at 13k. IMO thats too risky a move even with a plethora of inspections/photos ect, but if you're up for some risk, you get what you pay for

Side note, you do prove a good point about looking at Canada. CDN is weak to the dollar AND its on the same continent (so you could theoretically fly and take a look at it if you wanted to and not kill the bank.) But you're dealing with a much smaller sample size of cars and there is a higher probability of finding what you want at the price you want in japan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts