Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with OLD JDM OEM Toyota double din head units? I recently bought one online for relatively cheap, but it's not fully working on my 1989 USDM Supra.

Background:
I refreshed all the speakers in my car last year, and wanted to upgrade the original radio/cassette unit with a newer OEM Toyota unit that included a CD player. Got one installed, eventually decided I didn't like it for several reasons, but still wanted to replace it with something with the following objectives: 1) Preferably still keep it a Toyota product, 2) still wanted a CD player, but also still wanted to retain a period-relevant tape player, and 3) preferably get something a bit unique and interesting.

What I got:
  • Toyota CKN-D59, p/n 08600-00027 (was advertised as working)
  • It uses a 10p + 6p connector just like my '89, so I assumed it to be plug and play.
  • Like the original radio/tape player on my Supra, it has an internal amp -- there are no external amps on my car.
  • I can't find 08600-00027 in any Toyota parts databases, but it seems to have been an option on RHD J90 Land Cruiser Prados, so it's likely a good 20 years old.

What's happening:
  • It powers up and all the controls work, but audio output is ONLY from the RIGHT FRONT speaker. If I fade it to the rear, there's nothing. If I adjust balance to the left, there's a TINY bit of audio, but it's super weak.
  • If I put my original unit back in, all the speakers still work as expected.
  • This thing looks very clean all around, especially the pins in back are nice and shiny with no signs of corrosion or anything broken or missing.

Any thoughts? I can't find a pinout for the CKN-D59 unit, but from what I can tell, there aren't any major differences with Toyota 10p + 6p connectors, especially for power, ground, and speaker wiring. Could a JDM version be different? I'm thinking the unit is bad, but just wanted to see if there's something I might be missing first, because if bad, I'm just gonna crack this thing open and take a peek out of curiosity (and it might get damaged in the process). But if I can salvage it, that would be cool!

If it's a dud, I already have a Plan B, but curious if anyone has experienced a similar problem, not even specific to a JDM radio.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Despite my not knowing what I'm doing, I went ahead and cracked that thing open. Everything looks very clean and not finding anything broken or loose connection-wise, nor any obvious degraded solder lines. There is one big blue capacitor that has some white goop at the base. Is it good goop or bad goop? It seems to be the only one that has that stuff. If the internal amp is failing on this thing, that's one thing that would make sense to me for not all of the speakers working.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
554 Posts
The white stuff is potting compound, its normal.
Keeps components from moving around / breaking off leads things like that.

See if you can trace the pins/leads inside the unit for the speakers that are working.
You might be able to identify if the rear speaker leads have a different pinout than US models.

I searched pretty extensively all PN's listed on that unit.
You are right it really does not show up in any parts catalogs from Toyota, strange.

It is a Matsushita 75802, but there are no hits on that part number.

Maybe from the image here you can get the wire pinout, or a good guess?
There are 3x wires that are twisted together, maybe they are pairs of speakers?
Says it was removed from a 15 series Crown.
Worth a shot.

Also look at this pinout diagram.
Not the same Matsushita unit, but the pinout might be the same as yours.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
554 Posts
I looked through a number of connector pinouts that correspond with your 2 connectors, and they don't appear to all have the same pinouts.
-CN701 10P/6P Connector
-CN702 12P Connector

So you will likely have to experiment around until you find the correct pinout that corresponds to your unit.

They don't look standardized to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The white stuff is potting compound, its normal.
Keeps components from moving around / breaking off leads things like that.

See if you can trace the pins/leads inside the unit for the speakers that are working.
You might be able to identify if the rear speaker leads have a different pinout than US models.

I searched pretty extensively all PN's listed on that unit.
You are right it really does not show up in any parts catalogs from Toyota, strange.

It is a Matsushita 75802, but there are no hits on that part number.

Maybe from the image here you can get the wire pinout, or a good guess?
There are 3x wires that are twisted together, maybe they are pairs of speakers?
Says it was removed from a 15 series Crown.
Worth a shot.

Also look at this pinout diagram.
Not the same Matsushita unit, but the pinout might be the same as yours.
Yeah, those 3 paired wires match up with speaker wires on the Supra's harness. And if you look closely there's a 4th red and white pair, which also matches up. I will have to see if they appear to match pinout locations as well.

I looked through a number of connector pinouts that correspond with your 2 connectors, and they don't appear to all have the same pinouts.
-CN701 10P/6P Connector
-CN702 12P Connector

So you will likely have to experiment around until you find the correct pinout that corresponds to your unit.

They don't look standardized to me.
I was thinking that even if things were switched around a bit, the balance and fader adjustments would just result in hitting the opposite sides, unless + and - being reversed somehow compounded the problem.

I already reassembled the unit (hitting my technical limits of eyeballing for obvious things and blowing air at everything -- everything really does look good in there to my untrained eye) and tested again, but same issue. I will revisit the wiring though.

Thanks for those links.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
554 Posts
Yeah you should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
815 Posts
When I attempted to wire up a MKIV JDM headunit 14 pin IIRC using the MK3/MR2 13 pin premium adapter through the factory MK3 amplifier I got similar results to OP.

I never could figure out the speaker pinouts with the line out converters, something wasn't right, some speakers worked and some did not. Balance and fade were wrong and I gave up trying. This was all detailed in my 900 page MK3 thread somewhere.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I attempted to wire up a MKIV JDM headunit 14 pin IIRC using the MK3/MR2 13 pin premium adapter through the factory MK3 amplifier I got similar results to OP.

I never could figure out the speaker pinouts with the line out converters, something wasn't right, some speakers worked and some did not. Balance and fade were wrong and I gave up trying. This was all detailed in my 900 page MK3 thread somewhere.
Interestingly, I used that Autoleads PC9-406 harness and a Metra 15 pin adapter on my MR2 very recently. Had to chop up the Autoleads a good bit (got rid of the RCA plugs, for one), and it worked nicely. Only thing not working was being able to dim the new head unit, but I believe that's because neither harness had the extra wire needed.

Back to the Supra, I ordered a female harness chopped off a Celica, and once I get that, I'll use it with a Metra 10p + 6p harness to experiment with wiring configurations to see if I can get this thing operational. I'd hate to just have to toss it.

Reactions: pham

·
Registered
815 Posts
Interestingly, I used that Autoleads PC9-406 harness and a Metra 15 pin adapter on my MR2 very recently. Had to chop up the Autoleads a good bit (got rid of the RCA plugs, for one), and it worked nicely. Only thing not working was being able to dim the new head unit, but I believe that's because neither harness had the extra wire needed.

Back to the Supra, I ordered a female harness chopped off a Celica, and once I get that, I'll use it with a Metra 10p + 6p harness to experiment with wiring configurations to see if I can get this thing operational. I'd hate to just have to toss it.
Had to chop up the Autoleads a good bit (got rid of the RCA plugs, for one), and it worked nicely
I suspect this was my problem, thanks for that. I saved all my work in a box to return to later

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My non-Toyota Plan B head unit arrived today. It's a JDM Sony WX-C55 CD/cassette/radio, circa 1999. I have already tested it out and everything is working nicely: power, audio to all speakers, balance, fade, CD, cassette, AND it dims with the headlights on.

This unit is neat because it has a fun old school spectrum analyzer, and unlike most JDM units with RHD-centric controls, the volume is right in the center on this one. It even had a '80s Japanese rock band CD left inside. And so far the audio is a lot better than the boring USDM Toyota head unit I tried but did NOT like (second pic).

That said, I'm still waiting on that extra harness to arrive, and when it does I will give that blue JDM Toyota head unit another shot just to see if I can get it working. If I can get it to work properly, AND it sounds as good as the Sony, I'm not sure what I'll do, but leaning toward the Sony.

I will post pics of the Sony powered up when I do my after dark test with it later.

Just don't put this type of head unit in your Supra, not just because it's boring, but it doesn't work well:

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
554 Posts
Hah. Both those units are pretty sweet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still haven't fixed the single-speaker only audio output of the Toyota unit, but here's a video of what it looks like in action. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And here's the Sony in action. I have not reinstalled the bezel yet, because I still need to wire in the FM band expander gizmo.

·
90T
764 Posts
My guess is the output driver ICs are blown on your Toyota deck. I had a similar issue with my external Toyota amp years ago. Back then the ICs were available from mouser so might be worth looking for them. Also look for any leaking electrolytic caps in there. That timeframe was when there was a lot of problems with electrlytics failing quickly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IC as in Integrated Circuit or?

·
90T
764 Posts
yup The output amps are usually integrated circuits ICs on these units. Look for something bolted to a heatsink and connected to the output speaker lines

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, there is a little board wired to the heatsink. I was wondering what that might be. Seemed like an odd location for a component. At least it will be easy to get to if I want to take a look at it again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sony head unit now fully installed. Looks good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts