Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have a 96 NA JDM Supra. Does anybody know what differences does it have compared to US NA versions?

Also, is there any 6-speed Supra that is not Getrag, or are all 6-speed tranny Getrag?

Thanks

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Marmoot said:
Hiya,

I have a 96 NA JDM Supra. Does anybody know what differences does it have compared to US NA versions?

Also, is there any 6-speed Supra that is not Getrag, or are all 6-speed tranny Getrag?

Thanks
Im not real sure on the differences but I do believe the JDM NA Supras are faster due to less emission devices being used.

The 6-speed for the Supras is always a Getrag. From what I hear the same Getrag 6 speed is used in the newest BMW M3s as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about engine-wise?
Because, I'm thinking about turbo-ing my NA, and (if it is the same as US versions) I am thinking about following some of the paths that has been taken by you guys (e.g. copying the component list, boost rate, etc). I'm aiming for 450rwhp on the road eventually.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marmoot, what city in new zealand are you in :]?

there is a NA-T 94 in wellington, that was done with parts ordered from the states, so im assuming it will work for you man :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Auckland, but I'd like to get in touch with the owner if you have the details, to see what problems he had turboing his car.
I really want to be very careful with this project since it has to last for more than 5 years (e.g. more bulletproof than powerful).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good wealth of info in that page, thanks.

But still doesn't give precise answers to my questions regarding partwise (any part difference?) direct comparison between US NA and JDM NA. And, most importantly, any experiences in doing NA-T in JDM by any of you guys? Problems and whatsoever different than guidelines made for US NA?

Any input is appreciated, however small and/or redundant it is. Thank's all
:D :D

P.S.
Thanks about the info re: MAP sensors

·
all motor baby!
410 Posts
Marmoot said:
Hiya,

BoostAddict said:
JDM versions supposedly have smaller turbos and smaller injectors. That is the extent of my knowledge of JDM vs. US motors.
To the best of my knowledge, neither the JDM nor US spec NA Supras have turbos. :p

Do you mean the NA engine internals being different? If that is what you mean, then no difference.

All the Supra 6 speeds are Getrags - however I am led to believe that the turbo 6 speed is the V160 and the NA 6 speed is the V161. I can't guarantee that is correct.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Power-wise (durability), is there any difference between V160 and V161 getrags? Which one is weaker and by how much? I hope my getrag can withstand extended 450hp?

Also, does that info about injector difference apply to JDM NA (vs US NA)?

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
gianttomato said:
To the best of my knowledge, neither the JDM nor US spec NA Supras have turbos. :p

Oops! I jumped the gun before I read the thread carefully. I thought we were talking about the turbo motors. My fault!:p

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But,.......aren't you in the NA forum? :D

About the box, "they're both pretty strong" is enough for me :D :D

Right, NA-T it is then. With TD04 probably......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts