Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know what the draw is on the CP piston?

I notice the majority of the builds I see happening on this site list CP as the piston. It is obviously the piston of choice, the question is why?

I have primarily worked with JE in both my Buick and Eclipse. But I am definitely not interested in re-inventing the wheel and if CP makes what we need then I want to know why.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Built 2 enjoy NOT garage
505 Posts
CP all the way.

I've seen a few sets of JE's fail (Including a set on my old built MR2) due to the design of the pistons itself. The ringlands are too high up on the top of the piston which doesn't leave much material on the valve relief side before the first ringland. The top land will slightly melt down to the first ring and trap it in there which in return results in a slight loss of compression and power.

Switched to CP since and have had great results since.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My last set of JE went to hell so I went with CP this time.. not to say they were bad pistons.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I love JE and CP both... The top ringlands are dependant on application for the most part. If the engine is an NA motor, they may use a higher top ringland, if it is Nitrous/boosted and such they usually go much lower.

Regaurdless you can get JE to make what you want custom, that being said, I like CP and JE equally

·
Registered
923 Posts
I like JE just because all the Honda guys have major horror stories with CP pistons and their customer service.

No piston would survive a bad tune anyway, so the next thing I look at is customer servive and customer support. JE (and even Wiseco) all the way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like JE just because all the Honda guys have major horror stories with CP pistons and their customer service.

No piston would survive a bad tune anyway, so the next thing I look at is customer servive and customer support. JE (and even Wiseco) all the way.

This is true and the true bottom line.

Thanks to those who have posted. I wanted to see if there was anything to the CP favoritism. Based on what I have been reading and looking at the design of the piston, the favoritism that exists on this board is personal.

What I wanted to do was buy the piston off the shelf and then have it treated by caliso with their ct-2 dry film coatings for the skirts and I think ct-3 thermal coatings for the piston tops.

If there is any, additional feedback is welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts