Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'm in the process of building my new engine, and yesterday I got to assembling the pistons and rods. I have JE pistons and stock rods, and I just can't get those darn locking rings for the pin in place!
The instruction that came with the pistons says to place one end of the ring into the groove and then turn it, feeding the ring into the groove, until the entire ring is in place, but that is impossible!
Does anyone have any tips for this?

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Soldier9 said:
Hello all

I'm in the process of building my new engine, and yesterday I got to assembling the pistons and rods. I have JE pistons and stock rods, and I just can't get those darn locking rings for the pin in place!
The instruction that came with the pistons says to place one end of the ring into the groove and then turn it, feeding the ring into the groove, until the entire ring is in place, but that is impossible!
Does anyone have any tips for this?
Here's how I've done it: If they are the spirolocs, spread the spring slightly so you could insert one end of it into the groove. Hold the lock with your thumb 180 degrees from the end you are starting with. Starting from that end, and in small increments, use a small screw driver (flat) to push the lock into the groove. You do it this way and you might even figure out a better, easier way, you'll see :) There should be two spirolocs on each end of the pin. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not spiro-locks, it's regular locking rings. Looks like the stock ones except there isn't anything bent inwards to grab with a pair of tongs...

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
you have to work them in with the aid of a flat head screw driver very carefully

1 - 6 of 6 Posts