Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

the way it looks i will have to rebuild my engine. Now I would like to know, if JE Postons are suitable for daily drivers? For other pistons can you recommend? How much lighter are the JE than stock?

Thanks

Mark

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
What are your power goals, if any? If you are only doing a rebuild, and mabey some basic mods, then new stock ones will be fine....If you intend to build a high HP engine, then forged is the way to go.

Yes you can use JE's in a daily driver!

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
JE's are great pistons you can use them for a D/D but they have a bit of slap when cool. Once they warm up they wont slap as loud but you can still hear it. I would say go with Wiseco simply because the skirts on their pistons are longer then JE and slappage is not nearly as loud as say JE. Just as good btw!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why i am asking, is bevause i was told, the forged ones need some time to warm up propberly. My golas are 420 or 450 hp. how muich will the stock ones do?

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
stock will be fine for 550. Just tune the car properly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well then i believe i can save a lot of money. are the stock pistons from ebay any good, ayn experiences? how muc do wisecos cost? The "slap" you can hear, is it harmful?

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
no its not really harmful enough to kill the motor.
Goto Titanmotorsports.com and check on a set of wiseco pistons. They arent too expensive. Talk to sean!

Havent had any experiences with the ebay(Stock) pistons

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
For stock rebuild parts (not OEM, but excellent in quality) contact Ted at engnbldr.com. He quoted me $520 for a master rebuild kit, Rock brand pistons (heard good things about them), rings, overhaul gasket set, oil pump (big advantage) etc. May want to see if you can get your hands on some of his hard to find o/s valves for the 7m as well :)

·
Dagger OCHO
790 Posts
hey man, i am also rebuilding my engine....i went to suprasport.com and looked in their engine list

they put together a kit from Ferrea. it has the +1mm oversized valves in there. or you could go to www.ferrea.com and get all the parts yourself. it might cost a little more though

the kit suprasport put together is about $1450

i was also gonna go with the JE pistons .... i would like to get 500 hp...that would be nice...for now

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
hit up jdkmk3.com to check out the piston skirts comparisons. JE has little to none and before it warms up you can hear piston slap nicely. Even once it warms up you can still hear it rather well.

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
im going with forged in my DD and plan on 600hp, i would recomend it highly, if you ever want to up your power goals and used stock you'll be right were you started.

·
Boostin
321 Posts
so ya im building my engine too hopefully w/ in a month, anyways i've been looking at pistons so which ones do you guys like more the Wiseco’s pistons or JE pistons, and how bad is the slap on the JE pistons, how bad is it for long term?

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
i cant say from experience but ive heard JE's have the worst slap and that the weisco's are the best because they have the longest skirts, i havent heard anything bad about ross either. i am running weisco.

·
Super Moderator
10,161 Posts
Do NOT get Roc or Nippon pistons from Ebay. I bought a set of .040 overs for a mild engine build and the ring lands shattered clean off on 3 of 6 pistons.. there were some *small* flashmarks from detonation, but the biggest flashmark (about dime sized) wasn't even on one of the pistons that broke, one piston that broke still had a clean thin coat of carbon on it with no sign of detonation at all. The only thing that could have done it in was the cylinder pressure of ~380whp.

I've ripped apart 100k stock 7M blocks that had flashmarks that blew all the carbon off the dish of the piston on all 6 and they still were otherwise 100% intact. I strongly believe that the Rock/Nippon pistons are below OEM quality.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
SupraDreamer44 said:
im going with forged in my DD and plan on 600hp, i would recomend it highly, if you ever want to up your power goals and used stock you'll be right were you started.
Hmmm...

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
ha ha whatever you say shlongor...... i wont get in a war with you but i know lots of people with 7,8, or 9 hundred horsepower daily drivers..... and there are people on here with them as well, also you dont use that 600 all the time... i will run low boost and make 400-450 daily and 600-650 when i turn it up and want to have some fun.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts