Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Toyota Supra Turbo with a 5 speed manual transmission. The problem i'm having with the car is that, with the car already in gear, whenever I step on the gas pedal to accelerate it jerk violently and then drive as normal.

It does that when i push on the gas pedal and it also does it when i let go of the gas pedal.

In lower gear, it felt like my car got rear ended everytime i push and release the gas pedal.

In higher gear, the effect is minimal but it's still there.

I want to fix this :(

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
i have this problem too...its partially a fault of drivetrain slop. As well, i beleive this is a TPS problem (one which i havent bothered to solve myself) since at a throttle angle held somewhere near the point of accel and decel my car will buck pretty wildly.

adam

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
same problem here. was wondering if it had something to do with the tps....

·
Registered
454 Posts
The procedure is listed in the TSRM. Basically you'll need some thickness gauges (any auto parts store has these -- harbor freight is wicked cheap), a multimeter and a paper clip to jump the diagnostic box. You stick a feeler gauge between the stop screw and throttle linkage and measure the resistance or voltage (can't remember which) at the TPS. Loosen the screws and adjust it to bring it into spec. If its already in spec, try setting it to one of the extremes (but still within limits according to tsrm). TPS is one of those things that varies from car to car, each has its own unique setting that makes it run well.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
LOL-
At first, I thought this was a joke thread, judging by the title. I was going to say that ALL cars jerk if you hit and reolease the throttle. Anyway, I have some of that myself, I think I need to try to set the TPS as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have the same jerk when I let off the throttle, it will also stall often when I clutch it for a light. Mine only does this with the Lex and 550's with the stock AFM and 440's I'm fine. Mine for sure isn't TPS or D shaft.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Depends what kind of jerking. If it is drivetrain slop, it is either the center ebaring on the driveshaft or play in the diff. If it's the diff, I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the same on my manual n/a , still there after replacing the prop .
It must have something to do with the 1/4 inch of free play in the diff :eek2: .
New diff on the way me thinks

·
Got Boost?
216 Posts
Try disconnecting the vacuum hose off of the EGR modulator and plug it. Now take the car for a drive and see if it still does what your describing.

M

·
0 Posts
could you tell me where this is in the tsrm, cauz i should check my cars tps too, similar problem, and like someone said i think it needs to be changed for you suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts