Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I searched and didnt really get what I was looking for.
I'm going to have a T66 sitting on the Ebay T4 Manifold(this is not a time to flame the ebay manifold). My question is this should I jet-hot(or whatever) coat this manifold and the turbine housing. I'm still rebuilding the engine and have never started my car(bought it already torn apart),easily still have a couple grand to spend on the car to get it started. So I dont know if it is worth the couple hundred bucks to coat these things now. What is everyone opinions on these High Temp coatings and are they really worth it?

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Its worth it if you value good looks and keeping engine bay temps down. Jet hot 2000 cost $175 for the manifold and $85 for the turbine housing

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
I Ceramic Coated My Ebay Manifold

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
BoostedFloto said:
ok....aside from looks and engine bay temps, will it really help prevent manifolds from cracking ??

nope

might actually help them in cracking as heat retained inside means more overall heat.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figgie said:
nope

might actually help them in cracking as heat retained inside means more overall heat.

that's kind of what I was thinking. So now I really dont know what to do. Any other opinions do it or not ???

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I had my RPS manifold, WG tube, Exhaust housing, downpipe, midpipe, and catback all jet hot coated. WELL worth the money. With no heat shields or any protection it was definitely cooler under there than stock and no huge wave of hot air when you open the hood. Damn worth it.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
BoostedFloto said:
that's kind of what I was thinking. So now I really dont know what to do. Any other opinions do it or not ???

do it

if it cracks that means the manifold was shit to begin with. :1poke:

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
um kinda stupid q, but do you do it both to the inside and outside or just the outside? ive concidered this when i port the exaust mani to do this and always wonder that question lol

<l><l>

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
its only a 89.99 ebay manifold not a large loss. Just do it. I did.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all very good points.....I'll prob end up doing it. I was just trying to only spend money on required parts till the car actually starts and runs didnt know if i wanted to spend all this money on coatings etc and fire it all up and have engine problems or some shit....

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yup coat it. I coated my manifold and hotside of the turbo, costed me 200 dollars all together. I was told that it will help it not crack. Ive got some pics if you would like to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Friend of mine got an e-bay manifold and jet hot coated it and his hasn't cracked in 2~ years while guys who bought from the same guy and didn't get the coating done...well all of theirs cracked. These weren't on the 1J, but were on SR20's though....but still.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
I'd think slower heat dissipation cycling would attribute to longer life, and less prone to cracking.

What do we know about cracking?
: Cracking can happen when excessive weight is being applied while the overall distance from a main flange has been extended.
: Rapid and several heat cycles.
: Dissipation of heat in dissimilar metals, such as a heavier stronger stainless vs. mild (tubes vs. mating flange.)
: Vibration.

Sure there are some other things too... but these are the most you'll read about.

Jet-Coat in my opinion would keep that 1500 degree temperatures flowing out, and not soak the metal so badly.
If you've ever felt the pulse of exhaust air out the muffler of a non ceramic treated exhaust, and then felt the incredible heat of the pulses in a ceramic threated exhaust... you'd know what I'm talking about.

The ceramic treated piping HOLDS that heat inside the piping all the way to the exit at the muffler, so I wonder if Jet-Hot would do the same.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
if you do coat the manifold, be sure you do it inside and out. less prone to cracking that way.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
anyone have pictures on how parts look coated?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts