Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got my supra and found a great deal on jl xr650-csi component speakers. I have searched and have seen that a few people have had these speakers installed in their cars (maybe not supras) and had a question, how did you use the grille that came with them or did you use the stock grills? Can I use these components or am I screwed?

I took my car and these speakers to my local audio shop but they were no help at all. I asked them to make a bracket for me but they couldnt understand what i was talking about and said it was impossible to use these speakers in my car. The owner of this store owns a supra, but installed his mbquart speakers onto the door panel, instead of using a bracket.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm if I were to fit these speakers by using fiberglass, would i make it the same way fiberglass sub boxes are made? I plan on doing this myself so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched on making the enclosure and modifying the stock one but if i were to do that, wouldnt I have to use the stock grille and cause vibrations? or would I just use the grille that came with the speakers and just let there be a gap between it and the door panel making it look pretty bad?

yes its for a mkiv

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh the problem with the aftermarket grille is that it is smaller than the stock one and smaller than the hole in the door panel.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I'm in the middle of putting 6.5" bostons in my doors. Trying to get a flat piece of board mounted in there is difficult if you try bolting it to the original holes. The holes and contour of the door are not flat. I ended up doing some cutting on the factory box, then mounted a mdf ring to it for the speaker. 3/4" is perfect, it comes up flush to the back of the door panel. I also used a router on the mdf ring so the speaker sets flush. For the grille, I took it apart. It's actually two pieces. I got two 6.5" grills from parts express. They fit into the outer ring of of the factory grill perfect. Then you can put the grille on like stock. If you wanted, you could probably cover the grille with grille cloth to make it look more like stock. I also filled the factory box with cement to make it more ridgid. The box is open behind the speaker, using the door as an enclosure. The factory enclosure doesn't have enough air space. Last I'm doing my best to seal up the door. I'm going to run some expanding foam around the perimeter of the box to seal it to the metal of the door, and there is a big cut out further to the rear I'm sealing with foam matt I got from parts express. Hopefully, my midbass will be half way decent when I get done.

That factory grille is bigger than 6.5". I don't think most aftermarket speaker grilles will cover the hole.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for all the details supra400hptt. MUCH APPRECIATED. My plan now is to mount a 3/4 ring on the stock box, but I will separate the box or cut a hole in the back since the magnet of my speaker will not fit in the stock box. Also, should i remove the big sheet of plastic on the door and put some sound deadening material behind the speaker?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Will add more details and pics later, but it is up to you if you want to remove the plastic sheet. I am going to use sound deadening spray and cover all of the holes on the inner door skin. On the outer door skin I used two layers of sound deadening mat. Don't separate the box. Just take the time to cut on it until the speaker fits. I even filled it with cement to deaden it. When the speaker is playing the mounting surface should not vibrate along with it. Will post pics tonight.

Ok, here is how I did the doors and some pics.

1. Remove door panel, plastic barrier, stock speaker, and box. Remove speaker grille. Be very careful with the pegs, not to break them off. Easiest to just cut the push on metal tabs and get new ones from the hardware store.

2. Using ¾” MDF, cut out a circle that will fit in the depression on the back of the door panel. This will serve as the new speaker mounting ring.

3. Shave off the lip and vent of the speaker box with a dremel and cut off blade. I use the fiberglass blades.

4. Remount the speaker box and hang door panel. Slide the MDF ring up into place so it fits the depression in the back of the door panel. Mark the four holes that the speaker grill pegs stick through onto the MDF. These marks will serve as a centering guide to cut out the center of the MDF for the speaker. I also drilled a hole where the marks are so when the grille is mounted, the pegs will have a place to fit. When finished the MDF ring will be flush up against the door panel and the pegs will hit it unless you make small holes for them.

5. Take the MDF ring out, lay your speaker template out centering inside the peg marks. Mark and cut out the center. You can router it now to flush mount the speaker.

6. Place the ring back in between the box and door panel. Mark the area you need to cut out of the box. The back side of the box will vary depending on the speaker magnet. Also make reference marks to the orientation of the ring so when you attach it to the box, the peg holes line up with the holes in the door panel.

7. Do the necessary cutting on the box to get the speaker to fit and clean it up.

8. Attach the ring to the box with silicon and screws or small bolts. You may have to countersink them a little so they are flush if they are under the speaker instead of on the outside of the ring.

9. I filled the box with cement to deaden it.

10. Mount the speaker. I added some fiberglass on the back side of the box since I had cut out a large portion of the box for the magnet. Aluminum foil works great to protect what you are fiber glassing around.

11. Hit it with some paint and bolt it in. I popped out the plastic pieces in the door and will be using bolts instead of the screws to mount the box.

12. Once mounted I will run some expandable foam around the perimeter of the box to seal it to the door. Also covering up any other holes. Foam mat from partsexpress works ok on the big hole.

13. I also put two layers of sound deadening mat on the outer door skin and will be using deadening spray on the inner skin. Just too many holes, contours and things in the way for the mat.

SPEAKER GRILLE

1. Parts express 6.5” grilles will fit inside the outside part of the oem grille. You just have to disassemble the two pieces, then silicon the new grille to the outside ring. Then remount it to the door like factory. Cover with grille clothe if you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts