Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The work on the qtrs and the spoiler seemed never ending. I ended up playing with the 200 psi air hose and putting some burning oil smoke through the lines and used it to make the spoiler more aerodynamic. Ended up looking really nice as well! Once on the road it was incredibly stable because of it and the airdam/fenders blend! The qtr's blended nicely. The microlite was just a light covering over the epoxy. The shaping turned out perfect. I was happy with the results.

Weight watchers is for pussies he says.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The time had come! Final glazing was done and all the little stuff was done, the body was ready for primer!

This was the best cheap taping job ever! It was 5$ and it worked perfectly! I was doing it for free and the supplies had run out from him, so this was now a budget build lol

The original supplies had long depleted and it was now up to me to take from other jobs. however i was also building an all fiberglass 72 datsun 510 that had 46k Original miles on it! I had just finished this all fiberglass dodge superbee:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I put on my suit and my fresh air system chris got me. They make really nice cheap ones online. the problem is the kits never come with good filters. So make sure you seal the box off from where you are shooting and that room is clean from contaminates! It works much better than the 3m full mask set up though. a little bulky but an overall good design.

The car turned out amazing! the lines were all perfect! A final sanding and it was ready for color! It was the middle of December though and the freezing rain was making it hard to work! My electricity bill was insane. A dozen heating lights and oil heating to assure there was no fires. Not cheap lol. Worth it though. Result was perfect.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Then came the color! The car was more than ready for it after a blocking. The color he went with was a ebay brand that looked ok. We hoped for the best with the color. It was a metallic pearl red/purple.

Despite all the odds against me weather wise, I got it done! The car ended up coming together nicely!

THAT IS RIGHT, FLIP PHONE BITCHES! BECAUSE THIS WAS ALL WAY BEFORE THE IPHONE! ahahahaha

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Chris was more than ready to get back on the road. The entire summer and into winter I had been working on his car. From cure times to times I was not able it took a while and he had to deal while I was driving around my car to all the meets with my brother. He wanted to be there like he was last time, but it was not fun for him to show up to Bobs (from rotards, this was his shop in albany) and Robert white (rx7 club moderator) meets in a classic american car. So he missed out on things Joel, Tom, Darren, Bruce ect would be doing and now could catch back up!

He let it sit the best he could during winter but then he had to drive it! Unfortunately that is when the motor went out on it and he ended up parting out the motor. He started talking about going LS like aaron (tweek games) on the club and I was not having it. I had just finished this car:

Which I will post a few pictures of as well after showing this one off!

I had watched him go through the struggle of working with another shop on the motor he had gotten off the club. It was a good runner, but he put the wrong flywheel on it (s4 turbo with a s6 flywheel). He was convinced to go carbed like his classic car was. He knew them and wanted to go with it. Robert at rotary shack was quick to screw him over. Sold him a ton of parts that did not fit and left him unable to close his hood. When he did finally end up getting the EFI set up on and returning rotary shacks stuff he blew the motor on the first pull when he picked me up. The motor was the most destroyed motor I had ever seen at that point. By then I had taken down well over a hundred motors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So I gave him the motor from my rhd... I had been working on it for a while and had taken so many down I realized that I can probably make another one for free. I even had new seal kits. I had been making many motors for people once I started in on the RHD and retired the widebody to a new home in washington. I sold the widebody for 800$ and chris the complete drivetrain with the act clutch and all the externals,ect for 1500$. It was my first motor and I offered it with the warning that I learned on this one and no promises lol. I said he could make payments or pay me when his taxes came in or whatever. I just did not want him to put a LS motor in the car I just made!

I pulled it back out and took it over. I helped him drop it in and then hooked him up with a bunch of externals to assure this it was perfect!

Again sorry for the bad pictures. It was a flip phone back then. I was just about to get the brand new iphone lol

I had bought a 1978 rhd Savanna and was going to be restoring it back to its original glory. It came with many things that were not being used in other builds and so I gave them to chris for free to assure his car was solid! Now with the new black interior, Apexi N1 exhaust, aluminum radiator, cusco racing seats and autopower roll cage from my other widebody fb in the first pics!

This was a 1990 Cosmo 13b twin turbo motor that I pulled from a low miles JDM car. I gave it to chris as the final gift to assure he would remain true to this car staying rotary.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is a short video of this build and a little cruise at the end of it. A few of the videos of this car driving around are on my youtube page if you want to see the rest!

Five years later...

This was five years after I rolled it out of the paint shop. Three engines in and still boosting like crazy on the one I made along next to the other ones!

Bought him some new bi color lights for the FB from AUS. They really brought the front end together with that nice intercooler he mounted in there!

He got some nice pictures in and I see it around every now and then!

About the time I was finishing up the 78 savanna I started rotary workz with chris. I had a large shop and was willing to do what I did for him for others if he was wiling to help make others what I had made him.

He agreed. He got started on the social media pages and the swag. I ended up giving him the business as we had a falling out over ideas and what the reasoning for it was. This is a while other story for another thread. However while I was building this one, I was also building the one similar to what I am building now. Which is why this is relevant!

So, here is a run down on the last FC I built and why I hope to one up that one with this one. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So while I owed the rx7's I came from a world of classic restoration. I learned how to build his car through years of restoring classic 60's and 70s cars.
1583962531567.png

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I was content... Then one day when I was over at a friends house prepping to restore his FB so we could both have one

He later brought over this little toy of the Initial D car. I fell in love with it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was not sure how I could ever own that car and so I kinda just gave up on thinking about it that day, but the gift was awesome and got me plotting on how I might own one someday. literally the next day I was heading out of town to my wife's parents ranch in the middle of nowhere. Little service if any. Hell. But they are good peeps and she grew up on the 3500 acres and the city is a cramped to her. So we bailed. Sitting bored as hell all day up there ( I am not a rancher ) I was surfing the rx7club and found JD Daniels (ehime) selling a complete RHD front clip! I wrote him right then. I had nothing, just put it all into the build for chris weigel's widebody rx7. I was doing that build for free and took a bit of the cost myself. So I asked if he wanted a payment or two as I was not willing to touch my credit for it. Not that big of a deal. They used to be a dime a dozen back then. Not so much these days.

He was not interested in payments, so I went home and opened the savings up and took out the money for it.
The clip was missing a few parts, but had the metal and the dash and that was all I really needed. He ended up also having the rack and crossmember as well as the doors. They were a bit beat up, but looked usable.

I ended up then needing a dummy car! I wanted an S4 as they all have manual belts in JDM cars and was trying to stay close to stock looking with the interior. So I found a nice 1987 SE to start with. It was local and only 300 bucks or so!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
There were several ways to do this. I have not really seen one done that was not a good looking and functional set up in the end. However I wanted it to look stock. Like it never happened and came from the factory that way. So my friend Isaac and I started on the body. I took everything off and he started drilling out weld points.

The firewall swap was not easy. They were both removed with the metal as each piece was created at the factory and needed to be slid back into place.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
All welded up and painted the car was now ready to get to the body and paint!

I gave the cars engine bay a coat of paint before I started on the body.

I ended up getting a rare s4 body kit. I wanted to keep it s4 as I had some Bi color lights I wanted to run on it.

I ended up getting a turbo parts car and using all the body panels from it and passing the shell onto a friend after taking the diff and the trans (as seen in the last pic already installed).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I spent many hours after this point. Making all the edges right, smoothing the dings and making the prep perfect. When it was ready to shoot I pulled everything together and got ready to lay primer and color down! I was by myself from the firewall on, so no pics of me doing it unlike the other builds. Late nights only car guys can understand lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It turned out perfect! I was pretty happy. I had instantly had some regrets with choosing the s4/5 trim to run the lights. But was otherwise content with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I started putting the interior back into it. The wiring was all wrong. after many days of trying to figure out what was wrong with all the blinkers and why turning on the hazzards killed the headlights, ect... After dozens of friends like Marc from Pineapple Racing came down and could not figure it out and left with it not being functional. I gave up. I rewired a USDM harness and ran all us relays and switches. It was not easy, but it worked perfect and I had everything for a 91 GXL model now! ( Obviously I parted one, I bought the NW moderators car, Fumi).

I had all the options of what lights to run on it. However I decided that for now I was just going to run some clean s5 USDM lights!

decisions decisions

There was a lot of wiring to do, I ended up putting in a touch screen system I loved. Had everything as an option. Lateral G's, acceleration in g's, the a neat digital speedo. However I wanted the stock cluster still and everything working, So I wired in everything separate. It ended up all working amazing! Loved the EDFC (at first).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I started building a motor for it. I had helped marc heynderickx of pineapple racing move his shop FD3S engineering from the original place in beaverton to his fathers house in Canby after his falling out with his engine builder Daniel Leed from pineapple racing. It was a big mess. He ended up calling him a scammer and said they had a falling out because Daniel was on drugs and he would help me build my motor and just avoid the guy. (foreshadowing into my own life later ahaha,ugh) So when I was up there, I had Rob at pineapple port my s5 Irons I got for the build.

OMG they were minty! Rob Golden at pineapple sure can port a motor! Those templates are gold, use them! That aside, I lost the pics. Many pics faded to time unfortunately. That was one of them. I picked them up and went over to marcs house. He was there and we set up another day to assemble it! I showed up later and had the rotors and the housings,ect. He was not happy with the cleaning and only the irons were prepped well enough. I had not a media blaster and did my best. So I spent the day cleaning and prepping the motor!
I got the motor ready as Derek of Rotary Power Northwest showed up! Marc then let me know I was building it. I kinda freaked out, but Derek assured me it was going to be ok, I got this. I was a body, paint and interior guy, this rotary engine build was new to me! So I said **** it and went for it! I assembled the rotors with crisco and superglue as he and Rob has said. Marc would come out from the house and check on each stage to make sure I was doing it right!

What was going to be a couple hour build I went up for turned into a 12 hour day working on the motor. I snapped a couple pics that I sent to my wife to explain I was a little busy but ok lol!

After I ended up getting the rotors ready and all the seals in and glued, he ended up coming out and helped/showed me how to stack it! We stacked it and then we called it at a short block with just the tension bolts in as it was the 12 hour mark for me with two hour drive and he had work in the morning. But the right hand drive had a s5 turbo motor ready for it! Loaded it up and headed home!

Note marc is in clean slacks. lol :p

i got it home and the next day started putting the motor together. I had lots of goodies. Not even sure of everything now. Act, trust, ect. It was good.

I ended up putting it in by myself right there. That was not easy, but I did it without a chip in the paint!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The car was nearly done! I needed to finish the exhaust and a few other things but the car was going to be finished soon!

I ended up getting some rear seats for it. they ended up giving it a nice touch!

Took a couple glam shots after it was all finished up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The car had gone through a couple transformations to get to where it is way in those glam shots. The fact it made it there is a miracle in itself. My wife ended up getting a turbo II and I had a FD and a few other toys I ended up getting while pretending this was top priority. haha

I hated the body kit, but she loved it and so did the kid. He has a couple rx7's now and a miata and I think this little red bucket might have inspired the desire to own things that shoot fire.

The next post will describe this better, but things changed and the cars ended up all swapping parts around. The FD3s left and the RHD became top priority again... I will explain.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts