Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
After lots of elbow grease the grease was all gone! The floors were clean and ready for some sound insulation!

I had removed the roof to swap it over to a R1 skin. I ended up buying one from the dealership near me. Turns out they still make it and it was only a bill!
I also picked up a perfect interior with rear seats and parted a motor from three fd's. Two auto's and one rhd clip that just happened to be near me!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
FOUND THE KIT! It was not easy, I tried to get it from the company, they never answered back. My silver was sterling and I am not good enough. But I can preserver lol! I ended up finding the kit through a kid who had a race team in Canada. His dad lived in Washington and I was going to buy it from him and have him bring it to his dads house in WA! Thank god for Zilvia!

He had not mounted it yet and only mocked it up. I told him to tell me where to sent the 5,000$ for it and I went and picked it up!

Real kits are the best!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So now I have the hardest part taken care of. Now it is just the rims and putting the car together to make it look good! I started mocking up the panels and getting ready to have the roof skin put on!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I had a friend weld the roof for me and then got all the panels secured on (besides the front bumper that I was waiting on intercooler piping before I mounted it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

While working on the RHD FD I also got some time to finish up the RHD SA. It had come a very long way since first pictured in the thread.

There was new metal put on everything, new electrical and interior. Custom panels and a 13b turbo motor to drop in!

I got this buttoned up to go while working on FD, however it was never finished as my heart was fading from the game and my friend chris was no longer helping with the cars. and these builds had been like the others, I was alone for them. That gets old after some years.

I had been working on classic cars for almost ten years at that point and had made many nice ones. The current daily driver had me wanting to head back towards classics. However I kept on with the FD pushing towards the goal of having the widebody track car finished!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
After a bunch of work. the engine was done. I had a few to choose from. In the end I just resealed a reman motor I got from mazda. It was one of the auto ones, but it passed the leak down and the comp tests. So I took it apart and then tossed a new seal kit on it! I figure it is a grenade, so I painted it accordingly. I kept the Cosmo motor for another build. It was eventually given to Chris and his widebody to assure it stayed rotary.

I brought the car in and got it ready to put the drivetrain in it!

I started on the externals. Found a good turbo that will be great for the range I am going for and got it all buttoned up!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Wheels... I needed some! So I started looking into what I wanted to run with this kit. I ended up falling in love with the VSXX rims from Works. I called them up and ordered some custom rims for the widebody. I Got them with a 9inch lip, white faces and black bolts. The fronts to be 18x13 and rears 18 x14.5. They ended up really making the kit come together. They were not cheap hahaha.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I ended up inheriting a couple hundred acres and went a different route for a couple years and have really enjoyed watching the car and the kit become what they have and seeing peoples designs with it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
He ended up selling it, it is now in Nevada and a color I am not the biggest fan of, but glad to see it finished up! The kit was cool, the project was fun and I would have enjoyed it but I am a FC guy... I missed the fc build the whole time I was building it, so I went looking for a FC worth building. That is how it has come to this! Why I love this GTUs and why I am putting a 2jz into it!

And then he sold it!

Summer is creeping up and I look forward to finishing the body of the rhd and the gtus and updating as I go. The rims from fitment industries are finally getting mounted and might be shipped sometime this year, so when they arrive I will toss them on and give my two cents of ESR one piece rims. I still look forward to getting another set of VSXX rims for it and toss these on the Lazarus project! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
New rims arrived! I ordered from Fitment Industries, shipping was incredibly fast as soon as they got mounted and balanced! However the stupid virus going around made it really hard to safely get them. After some delays from fed ex and a couple phone calls I was able to get something set up for pick up in Salem Oregon. I am about a half hour outside of town and there was a ban put on groups of more than ten in the county that morning. So it was going to be an interesting drive for sure. As I was about to head out we had a ban of more than two people meeting. I however was able to set up the pick up to meet the driver of the transport truck in the parking lot and he would use the forklift to unload it in the parking lot and then leave the papers, I sign and load and then he returns for it... I got to keep the pen lol. Same thing at the bank, it was a free pen day.

The rims were packed really well. Tight and on a new pallet. The wrapping was great! The packing was excellent and they came with stem caps, center caps and swag! They forgot one of the center caps in the package, but I wrote them on it that day and showed what came, they shipped me two of the ESR caps overnight! The rims are perfect. I love them. A great driver and meet and greet rim set up for sure. They are lighter than I thought they would be and they are painted far greater than I was expecting. The fake three piece design is funny but it really does look good. The tires are NEW, boy do they smell it too ahaha.

So if you are not watching fitment industries on youtube, watch them... If you are thinking about ordering from them, it was easy to shop, pay and I got them fast and safe. It has been a while since a transaction was so smooth. Oh and I almost forgot that I even ****ed up my order and forgot to select the right set up and they called to make sure the contradicting information was corrected. Here is a little video and some pics of when I went and picked it up!

Fitment ESR 18x8.8 5x114.3 rims

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
well I bought a parts car with the hopes at first to restore it.

I bought new parts for it like new drilled and slotted brakes and rebuilt calipers, BC stance coilovers, some rare goodies like corksport exhaust and knightsports strut tower bars.

I ended up teaching my kid how to build rotary engines with this car... At 12 he built and sold his first rotary engine:

He has been helping me build and part out cars since he was able to walk and before that he was always with me picking up the next project or toy!

Just found a couple pics of an old GTU that I used to have. I have owned hundreds of them and every now and then stumble on more pictures I thought I lost.

Well... Liam got this 2003 NB Miata and that was that for the project fc. The decision was made and we the car was parted out to finish the GTUs build and the right hand drive 90 savanna build we have been working on and really need to start a build thread on as it is now closing in on being finished!

So I now have some nice BC stance coilovers and some new brakes for the GTUs!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Got set up to do the suspension parts, finish the crossmember swap for the 2jz engine and will be getting started on cleaning up the engine bay, working on the under carriage and getting it ready to put those new shoes on it!

I started working on the frame and getting the welded in bolts out for the new extended ones. Here is part one of the process, will be taking down the rest of the engine bay and shaving almost everything in part 2.

The 1990 Right Hand Drive Savanna Rx7 build got new metal and a new bn sports body kit. It will be getting ready for paint with the GTUs now that it has a brand new interior in it! Good to have a full black mint condition and a full blue mint condition interior, contrast is key to life! lol Right and left hand drive. One knight sports and one bn sports

I will be getting to the sub frame and hubs and everything next!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Power By Max goodies are in the mail and heading this way! Getting the Energy Suspension kit installed on the S4 control arms from the parts car. The hubs are getting new bearings and extended ARP wheel studs. Should have it all gathered up and put together during the quarantine lol.

So I got these parts and was about to order the diff and sub frame solid bushing kit but they were not able to process anything outside of the USA... So I ended up getting the Derlin kit for the moment, in case I cannot get the PMB ones later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I wanted to take a moment and go over the history of this car.

This video is possibly this car... That being said here is MotorWeek in 1989 talking about this cars release.

The GTUs is nothing more than a GTU with some special parts on it. The car itself is only different because of the 4:30 LSD differential, turbo seats and the turbo brakes. The cars also all came as non sunroof options, which was only available from the factory as a special order at the factory and was a roof skin replacement. The only reason for their release was that Mazda was not shipped enough turbo 13b engines from Japan and when confronting mazda about it they were told to release the cars under the GTUs badge with non turbo motors but the turbo package. The differential was the option that was going to make them their own stand alone model.

There are many other rare models. The 10 AE Turbo II has only 1500 of them made, there are only 1400 Infini models, 1000 Final Edition and 150 92 Final Edition Vert.

So there it is... The GTUs has 1100 of them made, ranking it in models as the third rarest production model.
1500 10 AE Turbo II
1400 Infini
1100 GTUs
1000 Final Edition
150 92 Verts.

Here is where it gets tricky though. A car is not rare because of the parts that come on it. Those cars listed are rare because of the vin number showing that they are the models that would have come with the rare parts they have one them. Anyone could take a 10AE badge or Infini seats and put them in a base model and call it that rare model, the vin is what proves the car is the rare model and would come with those parts.

Take for example my superbee clone pictured in this thread. It was a Coronet 440. This car came with a 318 small block, common coronet gauge cluster. The vin was WH23 because of this being the model it was. The Superbee is the exact same car. All the parts are the same, the car is identical outside of the motor it comes with is a 440 big block and it has a circular gauge cluster and a bee emblem. The vin for it is WM23. All the rest of the numbers tell about the plant, the colors, etc. However the model difference is only provable by the vin. The body panels for a superbee and coronet 440 reads the same through out the car.

So when I started learning about this car I realized how rare it was. While it ranks third in place for rarity in model, the car itself is the rarest by vin numbers. Let me explain how this is...

The 1100 GTUs models that were made are actually grouped in two categories. There are 100 that are made with the original Turbo II vin. Then there are the 1000 that had a NEW VIN NUMBER given to them making them no longer the turbo chassis vin numbers, but the GTUs specific vin. The GTUs turbo chassis models are K stamp. The GTUs non turbo chassis vins had a "X" put through the K and a "L" stamp issued. These are different models of the GTUs.

Here is another example of what I mean. The GXL was made from 1986-1991, there are two series of them, the S4 86-88 and the 89-91 S5. The vin number shows the difference in the different versions of that same model.
Another example is the Final edition vert. Say I got a s4 vert, put all s5 parts on it and then badge it as a final edition 92, the only way to prove it is not is the vin, the reason it is not is the vin.

Vins make the car rare, they make the swag and models rare. So that got me thinking. How many are left??? I asked around and that is how I came to realize that there are only a few left, this car is VERY rare and I am glad to be saving it from the salvage yard it was destined for!

IMG_0076.PNG

There are very few of these models left and I found and registered it on the club a while back when I first got the car. I posted up a build thread and then started learning about what made it so different. Although I have been driving and building rotary cars since 1999 I somehow had missed learning about this one along the way.

Confusion is normal when figuring out collector cars and the way that some of them came to be. Now as stated above the difference in the GTUs turbo chassis with the original vin and the restamped GTUs vin is the "X" through the letter K or L on the firewall and another letter stamped in above it. It shows here that there are L and K non restamp cars that make up the 100 rare non restamp models. This one here is one of my favorites. The seven stock 2016 has some of the best photos of the red on black model! Be sure to check it out on youtube! I showed a great company that can get the factory stickers in the thread for those who are seeking GTUs stickers in a restoration! :)

So here is the GTUs registry list, the rare 100 non restamps. There are not as many names as I would have hoped to have found on it. 83 red on black, 10 black on black, 7 white on blue. What is known to be left:

So I am #41 on the GTUs Registry list and as shown there it is one of the three known remaining left of the seven made! That car in the video could be the one right here! one in seven chances!

I look forward to bringing more pictures and videos of this thing coming together!
:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
I ended up getting the Power By Max problem worked out, the store in the USA can ship out parts from the other stores around the world through their checkout, so I got all the rest of the parts for the subframe and diff!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
One of the guys on the groups had a set of louvers for sale in my area. I happen to have a nice CorkSport exhaust and some mint condition red seats he was looking for and set up the trade. He came over and we swapped!

They are in pretty good shape. Now I have two sets. I can run one on the GTUs and one on the Savanna. One RHD and one LHD... Problem I face now is I also have a shine roof spoiler and was thinking about running it on the GTUs. So now I have decisions to make.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Power By Max solid bushings and Derlin poly bushings came in for the GTUs.
:)
I just bought the solid bushings to replace the Derlin ones though, so they will be going in the miata or rhd rx7.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts