Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup guys, this has been a long time coming. If you seen my first build thread of when I had my full Na to TT conversion done you'll see I went through so much crap over the years and different setups. Some would think my car was going to end up a 8 second 6spd monster, which a year or 2 ago that was the plan. I had a VVTI 3.4 stroker plus some other goodies waiting to go in it. But after my second MKIV came along and after many countless nights of thinking of my plans and what's best for me I decided to take this car down a notch from my previous 900rwhp stock block 9 sec 6spd build to more of an era correct reliable weekend cruiser. Hence why I call it the 2001 project. I believe that was the time Supras were king and on the rise of greatness. Also it was a time Supras were built with pride and dedication of the name. All the builds I grew up reading about were from that time. So I wanted to make this build catering to those times. I want to make this car as perfect as I can without giving up any relibalilty and changing too much of stock components. I didnt want two headaches with both my Supras. The other Supra in time will be my future drag car If I ever get to it. I started tinkering with it but nothing worthy to post. This car that deserves all my attention. My first MKIV.

The time came I decide to rebuild my car. Luckly I have my own shop to do it now. It started out with only me wanting to refresh my motor, get a smaller turbo for better street ability, single disc clutch to get rid of any clutch noises, and getting the engine bay painted. Not much to some but of course you'll see it doesnt turn out that way. Hahaha

Took the motor out and you'll see I was on the verge of failure. Crank damper had a spilt in it, keyway on the crank wore out the seat and rod was slightly bent. Granted the only issue I had with the car before I pulled the motor was the crank dampner making a noise but I thought it was the accessory belt tensioner. So it was a blessing I took this motor out when I did.

Overall I am very happy with the way the motors condition looked after 8 years of hard beating on the stock block with 700 to 900+ rwhp. Bearings looks like new, pistons didnt look bad at all, and the head was clean. Just the one rod was slightly bent. I wonder how long it was like that. Hahaha Figured I'd replace it and be done.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It was time to strip everything outta the bay and get it ready for paint. I decided to take it upon myself to weld all the holes I wanted gone to give it that much more of a clean look.
20181016_221625.jpg

20181110_144123.jpg

On my downtime I decided to clean and shine up some parts that barely get noticed. Just wanted to add alittle more OCD to the build.

Took my car all the way to Maryland from Jersey to Mike at Impression Collision Werks. Seen his work done a fellow Supra owners car and was blown away by how well he made the factory Pearl white match on his car so I figured he could do the same for me. After talking to him on the phone for hours I knew his standards were above mine. So the bay got primed and paint and that's where the tables turned.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So the painter wasnt happy about the color since it wasnt matching my paint on the car. Come to find out whoever painted it before me happened to paint it Super White with pearl on top of it. Not Diamond White Pearl. So that didnt sit well with me. I now thought of my car as a frankenstein and I didnt want it coming back all different shades of Pearl. This was the time to do everything once and for all so I bit the bullet and said do the whole car in the Factory OEM Diamond White Pearl.

At this point in time I started to think well I crossed this line, I need to have the car changed overall. It's been the same for over 8 years. I need an entire new look. So I decided to buy my parts and sold alot of my old ones.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New crank damper was in order so I got the Fluidampr. Fits great, and uses the stock size belt not like ATI.

I traded my OSG quad for a Stage 3 Endurance from Southbend. This should handle my goals no problems.

I figured this time I wanted to do a harness cause mine was old and modified to hell. I did away with my old LQ9 coils, crank and cam hall sensors. So I called tweak cause I wanted to start with a fresh harness made for 1NZ denso smart coils and FIC 1600s. Picked Auto Engineering coil brackets so they dont flop around in the spark plug valley.

I got very lucky and happen to snag this rare piece of history pretty local to me....the Greddy Pe exhaust. Sat around in a garage so I wanted to give a little restoration to my likings. I got rid of the old coating it had on it and put on new black ceramic paint. I then had it polished by Nick's Blasting and Polishing in Staten Island NY. This thing came out looking better then new! All the scuffs and scratches are gone. I still have my HKS TI Racing exhuast but I figured I'd pick this up for it as well to switch back and forth when I want a more subtle sound.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Before I dropped of my exhuast I had him do my new T72 dbb .81 Turbo that was modified with OCD Works t51r mod. OCD usually sends him their work come to find out but I wanted the red letters gone. He also did my intake manifold setup with a shaved throttle body. Results are amazing.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dropped some of the engine bay components to get powdercoated by my good friend Rob at KBmotorsports in Paterson NJ. Killed it with the gloss black. Theres alot more that was done. Just wanted to show it when it was in the car next.

I wanted almost everything gloss black in the bay so I had my painter do my fuse box cover, fan shroud, and brake booster.

20190210_140327.jpg

I picked up a PHR ABS delete kit to give the a nice compliment over my hard lines I had done. I also did Goodridge brake lines since I never got around to replace the factory rubber lines all around.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is one of my favorite parts of my car. Managed to snag this original RPS turbo kit from Matt Fast Turbo on here I believe. I had every hot part chrome xed by GSD Coatings in Keyport NJ including the Turbonetics Racegate housing. Beyond happy with the way this turned out. This kit with my Turbonetics T72 .81 ar will hopefully get me to my 750 800rwhp goal. Just like SW had back when he first ran 9s back in 2001. That car looked and sounded AMAZING and that's exactly what I plan to have. The t51r mod will be the cherry on top of the cake. Cannot wait to hear this combo.

And here is my other favorite part about my car. Something I truly never would of imagined to own. But like I said before since I was getting a new paintjob I might as well sell my told beloved TE37s and get something I always wanted. 19" HRE C103 speced out by Tommy Banh of Autobanh Motorsports. I knew he was the right guy to contact to get the right spec. He guided me on the whole process. Even told me what size tires works with the setup.

The setup is 19x9.5 up front with Toyo 265/30 and 19x11 with Toyo R888Rs 305/30s. Center finish is brushed clear with polished outer lips.

One word I use when going through this build/process was never settle. And that's just it. I couldnt settle with having ccw, welds, or bc forged like everyone else nowadays. I wanted to stand out but also keep the goal of era correct in place. These wheels put you in the same league of the old big dawgs of the community. And that's exactly where I wanted my car to be even if I'm 10 to 15 years late to the party.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Car finally got some new paint on it as the months went by. This is how the car sits till this day so dont have much more to post. Hoping I'll have some updates soon.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So after months of waiting for the motor to be done along the car I finally got my motor back from the machine shop. I took it to Performance Machine Services in Sayerville NJ. Bud called me and told me I'm on the edge of being our of factory specs so I told him I'm ordering piston and rods for it. So I ended up going with Wiseco stand compression pistons and eagle rods. Also ended up going with a Supra sport girdle for extra cheap insurance.

Started to put back the motor together cause I couldnt wait to see my early vision of eveything come to life. I gotta say I'm proud of myself for doing eveything myself so far. I soaked every nut and bolt with simple green before I assembled it back on the motor. I cleaned everything I could as best as possible but sometimes age gets the best of it. You'll see the lower parts of the motor weren't refinished cause I know you dont see them when everything is in the car. Plus they are the original parts and I planned on replacing them in the future.

And here were have the final results. The moment Iv been waiting for. Pictures dont do the engine justice. Now I just need my car back from paint to drop it in.

·
Registered
740 Posts
OMG Joe you have been BUSY!!!!! That RPS manifold and all the other coatings are looking incredible! This is going to be one clean and badass Supra!

Still not sure what coating my RPS manifold is going to get but man this is tempting to follow :) (I cant find my beer drinking emoji now wtf)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG Joe you have been BUSY!!!!! That RPS manifold and all the other coatings are looking incredible! This is going to be one clean and badass Supra!

Still not sure what coating my RPS manifold is going to get but man this is tempting to follow :) (I cant find my beer drinking emoji now wtf)
Haha Thanks alot man. That's what I'm going for simple and clean. I like this coating cause it pops and goes well with the other polished components. I can also maintain it to my likings so it keeps the shine.

·
Supraddict
1,150 Posts
This is an awesome build! I love the golden-era theme you're going for, with the RPS hardware and old school Turbonetics unit. I'm going to be really curious to hear your comparisons with having a "modern" build prior - I often wonder if having the latest greatest everything is really the way to go with these cars. 700whp is p-l-e-n-t-y, people were doing 9's with your setup like you said waaayy back, a little lag is fun and the sound can't be beat.

Really excited to follow your progress with this one - I think by going back to '01 you're going to end up having the best build of '19 (y)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
super clean, awesome throwback build. wish you the best, will be following intently.
I appreciate it big time! Thank you!

This is an awesome build! I love the golden-era theme you're going for, with the RPS hardware and old school Turbonetics unit. I'm going to be really curious to hear your comparisons with having a "modern" build prior - I often wonder if having the latest greatest everything is really the way to go with these cars. 700whp is p-l-e-n-t-y, people were doing 9's with your setup like you said waaayy back, a little lag is fun and the sound can't be beat.

Really excited to follow your progress with this one - I think by going back to '01 you're going to end up having the best build of '19 (y)
Wow those words make all this all worth it. I know real OGs would appreciate what I'm trying to do. So thanks alot man. I hope it lives up to the hype. I know one thing for sure is I'm building a better 2020 Supra then Toyota. Lmao

My goal is 700 to 800rwhp. Kinda low but realistic with the motor having a 100% stock head now. But I'm not so much after a number these days. Atleast not with this car. One day if I ever get back to the track and it goes 9s still I'll be more then happy. I know it can be done but idk if I want to risk it. I have nothing to prove anymore. That's what the other car will be for. Got bigger plans for it with all modern tech and parts.

I think me going back to this simpler old school setup might be the best thing I did for the car. I'm going to appreciate it much more then trying to keep up with the horsepower game that takes away alot from enjoying these cars. Someone is always going to be faster.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts