Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://ndra.nopi.com/ndra_2k4/kd_dsp_art_detail.cfm?vaid=310

The recent announcement that John Shepard will join fellow AWD competitors in the Pro 4 Cylinder class for the 2005 season has created quite a buzz. Sean Glazar raced his Talon to an event win and a top 5 finish in points for the 2004 season, while Darryl Hudson in his 91 Eclipse GSX went about breaking personal best e.t.’s in route to a top 10 finish in points. Now,throw Marco Passante and his Canadian based Magnus Motorsports AWD into the mix. Marco and team had a tough season in 2004 going through several motors, transmissions, and rear end housings, but has spent the winter months working on chassis mods and a new motor program so that he can position himself for a class win south of his border in 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All wheel drive cars have been out powered by the six cylinder models in the BF Goodrich Tire P/ST class which has been dominated by RWD six cylinder models the past couple of years. John Shepard was the event winner in the 2004 season opener at Virginia Motorsports Park last April but was out powered through the balance of the season. It seems that the BF Goodrich Tires T/A Drag Radials hooked up so well that the AWD competitor were plagued with driveline breakage when they stepped up their tune ups to run with the sixes. In Pro 4 they will be allowed to run slicks that allow some spin before driveline breakage and will be competing only with four cylinder power plants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently pictures of a radical new rear suspension set up was unveiled that could possibly allow these competitors to actually back half an AWD car in 2005. This will allow the AWD cars to put the power where it is needed the most, and secure a weak differential mount. In a class of tough competitors and great race minds like Seitsinger, Gardella, Demaree, Tran, Bermea, Olsen, Leone and Callos you could put Shepard, Glazar, Hudson and Passante as every bit as capable, talented with just as much desire to win. Just with 2 additional drive wheels.

With Gardella runing low 8's and lummus running 7.9's i dont think Shep will fair any better than he did in pro street tire.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xsentrixsupra said:
so maybe my reading comprehension just sucks.............what is he planning on doing?
Sorry he has moved down to pro 4 cylinder class where the entire field has to run 4 cylinder engines. However the top half of the field is running numbers pretty close to what the pro street tire cars are running. Gardella and Lummus are both running 8.2s and in the season opener in phoenix lummas clicked off a 7.9 and the event win.

Results from phoenix.

Elimination Results for Pro 4 Cylinder
Name Car RT ET MPH Results
Results after Round 1
Eric Del Rosario Acura Integra .137 9.547 155.63 Winner
Kevin Bonds Honda Civic .195 10.882 147.46

Gary Gardella Chevrolet Cobalt .162 8.260 171.73 Winner
Joe Demaree Honda Civic .110 9.760 163.89

Ron Lummus Pontiac Sunfire .113 8.215 147.12 Winner
Tony Garcia Honda CRX .024 11.291 98.66

Ricky Dela Cruz Honda CRX .164 10.041 144.80 Winner
Chuck Seitsinger Honda Civic .289 19.149 39.77

Results after Round 2
Gary Gardella Chevrolet Cobalt .146 8.236 176.97 Winner
Ricky Dela Cruz Honda CRX .236 10.108 139.40

Ron Lummus Pontiac Sunfire .108 7.951 186.92 Winner
Eric Del Rosario Acura Integra .110 9.811 146.69

Results after Round 3
Ron Lummus Pontiac Sunfire .080 7.950 186.56 Winner
Gary Gardella Chevrolet Cobalt .252 8.379 173.47

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I thought John wasn't "ALL IN" last year, therefore leaving more room to go faster/quicker this year? :dunno: In any case good luck to him in the new class. :)

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
It is definately going to be a fun season..

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: Re: John Shepard throws in the towel

rdrkt said:
There is a lot more money in Pro4
Wasn't this the typical dsm fanboy argument used to explain why it was difficult for him to be competitive in pro-street tire? I guess the dsm camp(s) didn't expect Gardella to pick up a GM ride and also GM too field two 8 flat cars in the very first event of the season. Im pretty sure the top two spots are locked up. However watching Jesus and Shep going head to head will be worth the price of admission.

see you at MIR:)

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Re: Re: Re: John Shepard throws in the towel

Ball Bearing Talon said:
Wasn't this the typical dsm fanboy argument used to explain why it was difficult for him to be competitive in pro-street tire? I guess the dsm camp(s) didn't expect Gardella to pick up a GM ride and also GM too field two 8 flat cars in the very first event of the season. Im pretty sure the top two spots are locked up. However watching Jesus and Shep going head to head will be worth the price of admission.

What's the date/time for the MIR even? :)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
so maybe my reading comprehension just sucks.............what is he planning on doing?
:stupid:

Yeah, what is the tread title "throwing in the towel" referring to? Just trying to start a thread to get guys arguing again?

The announcement about the DSM guys switching classes is so "two months ago"!

Al

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T6Rocket said:

Yeah, what is the tread title "throwing in the towel" referring to? Just trying to start a thread to get guys arguing again?

Al
Yeah, what is the tread title "throwing in the towel" referring to?
Was that not covered in my second post?

Just trying to start a thread to get guys arguing again
I dont see any arguing.

So this is a repost?

J

·
0 Posts
T6Rocket said:

Al
It seemed pretty obvious that it was referring to the Pro-Street class in Nopi.

Jason.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Re: Re: John Shepard throws in the towel

Ball Bearing Talon said:
Wasn't this the typical dsm fanboy argument used to explain why it was difficult for him to be competitive in pro-street tire?
Im not sure I understand what you are saying/asking. From my understanding the payout is higher in Pro4 even for the lower placing spots than it is for the upper spots in the street tire class.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Re: Re: John Shepard throws in the towel

rdrkt said:
Im not sure I understand what you are saying/asking. From my understanding the payout is higher in Pro4 even for the lower placing spots than it is for the upper spots in the street tire class.
Win, non full, semi, semi, semi
Pro Street Tire** $3000*** $1750 $750 $200 $200
Pro 4Cyl** $3500*** $2000 $1000 $300 $300

If john wins every event this year, he would make a difference of $500 anything below second and he makes a difference of $100

Im not sure i understand what you're saying? are you suggesting John has moved down to pro 4 cylinder for the possiblity of making an additional $100 per evert?

Or are you suggesting he will be running faster than Gardells 8.2's or Lummus'es 7.9?I doubt his reasoning for moving to pro 4 cylinder has anything to do with class payout.

·
www.aapmotorsports.com
140 Posts
You also must remember the guys in pro4 are running times close to us but on very diffrent set of rules, shep can also radically change the car to run with them so his times should go quite a bit lower. You can not go by what his setup was in PST because the cars in pro4 should go quite a bit quicker.

he can now run meth, wheelie bars although on AWD thats not a issue, different tires, lighter weights etc etc....

I for one am sorry to see shep go he was a good racer and nice guy, good luck to him in pro4.

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
Ball Bearing Talon said:
However watching Jesus and Shep going head to head will be worth the price of admission.
I agree, Im going to stay in the same class, hopefully the car is going to be ready sometime late next month. It would have been nice a head to head run with Shep. :)

Definately these Supras though..are hauling some serious [email protected]#[email protected]#@

·
Registered
612 Posts
Put a 6 Speed or factory auto in all the "suprats" in the street tire class and then see who's the best driver in the class! Oh I forgot Supras can't run low 8's with a factory 6 speed. I guess scrap that idea, I guess they well just have to keep racing with 50% more displacement and a domestic tranny! Thats almost like competing in the special olymipcs when your not disabled. Actually thats exactly what its like. Food for thought.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Shepard throws in the towel

Ball Bearing Talon said:
Win, non full, semi, semi, semi
Pro Street Tire** $3000*** $1750 $750 $200 $200
Pro 4Cyl** $3500*** $2000 $1000 $300 $300

If john wins every event this year, he would make a difference of $500 anything below second and he makes a difference of $100

Im not sure i understand what you're saying? are you suggesting John has moved down to pro 4 cylinder for the possiblity of making an additional $100 per evert?

Or are you suggesting he will be running faster than Gardells 8.2's or Lummus'es 7.9?I doubt his reasoning for moving to pro 4 cylinder has anything to do with class payout.
This must be a hard concept for you guys to understand. In Pro 4 there is more of a chance of other missing shifts, or breaking dirvetrain components. Steet tire class is a bunch of auto Supras which can be way more consitent then a 5 speed DSM tranny.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TALONGT66 said:
Put a 6 Speed or factory auto in all the "suprats" in the street tire class and then see who's the best driver in the class! Oh I forgot Supras can't run low 8's with a factory 6 speed. I guess scrap that idea, I guess they well just have to keep racing with 50% more displacement and a domestic tranny! Thats almost like competing in the special olymipcs when your not disabled. Actually thats exactly what its like. Food for thought.
Thats the spirit.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.