Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 6 speed and though this doesn't seem too serious, I want to make sure that i'm not damaging the car:

when i shift gears (especially into second), i feel a noticeable jolt and noise. it feels as if the tranny is just getting into place...but in a ungraceful way. a mechanic suggested that my tranny mounts were soft. he said that the tranny seal leak (which everyone seems to have) has softened the mounts. does this sound right? anyone else run into this?

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
If the sound is a "klunk" like sound, it is completely normal for the getrag tranny. The sound is more pronounced on the 1-2 shift.

J

·
0 Posts
I'm not the expert, but I think the sound may be a characteristic of limited slip differentials. My previous car was a Taurus SHO, which never made any tranny sounds until I installed a Quaife LSD, then started clunking when first shifting into a gear. I've come to know and appreciate that sound. My Mkiv sounds exactly like the Quaife. Jeff B.

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem. My 6 speed 94 tt supra most always made a klunk noise. i took it to the dealer and they drained the differential and said it was fine. i got the tranny checked out and they said it was fine too. But a few days ago when i put the car on a rack i found out that the drive shaft was very loose and jumped when beginning to move, thus maing the klunk noise. Maybe you should check out your drive shaft, it fixed my problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same problem. I get a jolt/clunk when shifting into 1st and 2nd. I think it may be the trans mount going, since my car has 85K. I am going to replace it with a stiffer TRD trans mount to see if that helps. But it sounds like this a normal thing for the Supra since many owners report it.

M

·
0 Posts
Mine does that too, its a 95 TT 6speed and if I am at a stop sign and like shift into 1st gear it will make a clunk sound... almost as if the driveshaft is loose.. I thought it was a bad tranny, but like you said I guess its normal if everyones is doing it.. Ill put it up in the air at my dads shop and see whats up with it tommorow

J

·
0 Posts
Is this a normal problem? is there anyway you can tighten up anything or add new mounts to cure this... that would get kind of annoying

S

·
0 Posts
I was worried too when i first bought my car but this seems to be completely normal for all Supra 6 speeds. Actually, I don't even notice it any more even though i'm sure it still does it.
Zach

C

·
0 Posts
yup

My 98 TT 6 speed also clunks when going from 1st to 2nd and I only have 23K on her... I hope this is a normal problem! :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts