Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i was cruising in Merrit Island like an hour ago and some guy flags me down in his truck and asks if he can give me a flyer or some shit. So i slow down to see if its a wacko and he turns out to be pretty cool- so i stop and he gives me his flyer. The guy owns a performance shop and he tells me he does work on these kinds of cars. I went by the shop and it looks legit. Well we started talking about the future of my car- and he tells me he can get me a JDM(jspec) supra TT engine(40,000miles) for around 4500$. He also told me he can install it for around 1500$. So i ask him if this can actually be done because i havnt heard of it on any N/As...well he told me he did a swap with the same engine on a 3000gt. Is it me or does this sound like a really really good deal? Or is it just Bullshit. Because if its the real deal then its wayyyyy better than spending 5k on a single turbo kit. I asked him about the transmission (i have an auto) - and i wanted to know if it would be fine with this this engine- and he says it should be fine , either that or i can get a tranny build. Or a six speed, but thats more $$$....IS this engine swap even possible and what kind of pricing is this? I hope this isnt too good to be true. I need some good advice here. thanks guys!

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
I think jelliman did it with a J-spec engine, 6 speed swap, brakes, differential & God knows what elese. Oh yeah, I think axles too! Look him up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1500 for the install!! thats almost an unbelievably low price for such a project...

the price for the engine sounds about right, if it is indeed a low mileage engine..but the price for the install sounds a bit funny
the swap can be done, by a competant professional. It is defineately not a job for a novice

but if he did it with a 3kgt then a supra swap should'nt be any problem...

would you mind sending me this guys name and number?

I would like to look into this further.

thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The address is 1789 E. Merrit Island Cswy
Merrit Island, FL 32952

The phone number is 321-459-2096

If you get any more info Let me know! i am very interested!
Email me at [email protected]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S_Flex said:
1500 for the install!! thats almost an unbelievably low price for such a project...
Hmm.. I had my old 200k mile/11 year old 7M-GE exchanged for a Japanese imported 7M-GE for only a $450 installation fee. But hell, the NA-T probably needs a hell of a lot of custom fabbing, but still I'd have them just bolt up the engine, then drag the car back to my house and I'll do the rest. But to each his own.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Fitting a J-Spec engine in a 3000GT would be hard as hell considering that it is either a front wheel drive or all wheel drive car. I dont know that the engine would fit in the bay properly at all the 3000GT dont have a huge amount of room in that engine bay. Also considering the stock engine is a V-6 and the J-Spec engine is a Inline 6 thus making it longer then the other engine and then rigging it for RWD its VERY tough. What im saying is double check and make sure he is being legit about all of this it seems like that is an excellent price to do all of that if he is. See if you can talk to some past customers or anything about him or his work.

Later

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raynum2000 said:

Hmm.. I had my old 200k mile/11 year old 7M-GE exchanged for a Japanese imported 7M-GE for only a $450 installation fee. But hell, the NA-T probably needs a hell of a lot of custom fabbing, but still I'd have them just bolt up the engine, then drag the car back to my house and I'll do the rest. But to each his own.
450 ...thats for dropping the same engine in...

the GE and the GTE are completely different engines..not only do you have to do custom fabrication but you also have to rewire just about everything,

but if you've got the free time, you can save yourself a buck.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PHR offers the NA to TT conversion for the MKIV. They charge $10,500 for all parts and labor with an additional $5,000 if you want the six-speed tranny. They claim that it is a very complex conversion. Ask the guy if a/c, c/c, p/s, p/w, etc. will still be functional after installation is complete.

You should definitely get as much info as possible before considering handing over your car to this guy. Find out if he has done it before, and if so, try to track down anyone he's done it for and ask that person 102 questions.

Good luck!

·
Internet Addict
89 Posts
DanSupraMan said:
Ok, i was cruising in Merrit Island like an hour ago and some guy flags me down in his truck and asks if he can give me a flyer or some shit. So i slow down to see if its a wacko and he turns out to be pretty cool- so i stop and he gives me his flyer. The guy owns a performance shop and he tells me he does work on these kinds of cars. I went by the shop and it looks legit. Well we started talking about the future of my car- and he tells me he can get me a JDM(jspec) supra TT engine(40,000miles) for around 4500$. He also told me he can install it for around 1500$. So i ask him if this can actually be done because i havnt heard of it on any N/As...well he told me he did a swap with the same engine on a 3000gt. Is it me or does this sound like a really really good deal? Or is it just Bullshit. Because if its the real deal then its wayyyyy better than spending 5k on a single turbo kit. I asked him about the transmission (i have an auto) - and i wanted to know if it would be fine with this this engine- and he says it should be fine , either that or i can get a tranny build. Or a six speed, but thats more $$$....IS this engine swap even possible and what kind of pricing is this? I hope this isnt too good to be true. I need some good advice here. thanks guys!
All this means is that they guy has never done it. All those new people who want to do it and don't too enough reading automaticly assume JDM is better. Well, first off, 2JZ-GTE has smaller injectors and is actually slower than the US spec. You will spend money for JDM engine and then find out you need to do some more on it to make it faster. Forget it, just used the US spec 2JZ-GTE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts