Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I really would like to know this. I am in the process of purchasing a set of cams, and was thinking of going HKS 264/264 or 272/264, but if the Jun 264's give better performance compared to the HKS 264's i would give it a try. Also is it worth paying almost double the price? Can you just buy the HKS 272's instead of the Jun 264's for half the price? Just asking questions?

·
Registered
522 Posts
alpha6164 said:
I really would like to know this. I am in the process of purchasing a set of cams, and was thinking of going HKS 264/264 or 272/264, but if the Jun 264's give better performance compared to the HKS 264's i would give it a try. Also is it worth paying almost double the price? Can you just buy the HKS 272's instead of the Jun 264's for half the price? Just asking questions?
I find this discussion funny. I got some 264 JUN's for a great price a while back and was under the impression that the HKS actually had MORE lift and were better suited for our motors.

I'll have to sell them soon it sounds. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
The JUN 272 race cams for our cars (there are two versions of the 272s) has a lift of 10.8 mm versus the HKS 9.3 or 9.35, I forget which. The only MKIV owner I know running these cams is Dave Mashour and he is the current GT47-80 all-boost champion at 1160 whp, and an even more impressive 816 lb-ft from a 3L motor at that. According to Dave, this was at 38 psi, which is also less boost than any of the other 1000+ whp all-boost GT47-80 cars. I think the JUN cams have a lot to do with this....and Dana's engine building skills.

Ken.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
That's interesting Ken. Thanks for the update on Dave's dyno and engine performance. Dave's car is an impressive piece of machinery to say the least. Any updates on your car recently? :)

I think Jun is a usually pretty underrated company when it comes to Supra parts. :)

-Olivier

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My old car I had JUN 272's in it also. I am not sure whether I had the race version or street version.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
KenHenderson said:
The JUN 272 race cams for our cars (there are two versions of the 272s) has a lift of 10.8 mm versus the HKS 9.3 or 9.35, I forget which. The only MKIV owner I know running these cams is Dave Mashour and he is the current GT47-80 all-boost champion at 1160 whp, and an even more impressive 816 lb-ft from a 3L motor at that. According to Dave, this was at 38 psi, which is also less boost than any of the other 1000+ whp all-boost GT47-80 cars. I think the JUN cams have a lot to do with this....and Dana's engine building skills.

Ken.
Mashour just posted in another thread that his car has "special" compression, so it's pretty difficult to say how much is directly attributable to the JUN cams. That said, I think it's clear the race versions have the ability to develop more power than the HKS 280s.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
^^^JamesN1830, they're all custom....mostly by Crane. Of course, the HKS 280s are off-the-shelf, so really not a valid comparison, IMO.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
^^^Custom cams are just that, custom, and can be optimized to take advantage of the unique characteristics of built motors and the engine builder's engine building philosophy. Any off-the-shelf cam, no matter how good, is a one-size-fits-all proposition that has obvious and inherent limitations as to the production of maximum power and the way the power is delivered, something more important than peak power, IMO.

Ken.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
KenHenderson said:
^^^JamesN1830, they're all custom....mostly by Crane. Of course, the HKS 280s are off-the-shelf, so really not a valid comparison, IMO.

Ken.

even off the shelf cams started out as custom at one point. The only difference is market to push them to the shelves. Of course there are exceptions to this for the BIG BOYS.

So what would a good grind be for a "custom" cam that yeilds more power then a 280 but not be a balls out race motor? Would it make it an interference motor?

·
Registered
522 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
even off the shelf cams started out as custom at one point. The only difference is market to push them to the shelves. Of course there are exceptions to this for the BIG BOYS.

So what would a good grind be for a "custom" cam that yeilds more power then a 280 but not be a balls out race motor? Would it make it an interference motor?
I believe that unless your pistons are setup to deal with it, that the HKS 272s cause minor interference, since the JUNs and 280s have more lift they would also be in that boat. How often do guys lose there timing belt though? The only time I have seen someone lose it was because they had abused the car and not kept up on maintenance.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
sidoze said:
I believe that unless your pistons are setup to deal with it, that the HKS 272s cause minor interference, since the JUNs and 280s have more lift they would also be in that boat. How often do guys lose there timing belt though? The only time I have seen someone lose it was because they had abused the car and not kept up on maintenance.

hks 280 and 272 have the same lift, just different durations.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
JamesN1830 said:

HKS is a large aftermarket auto parts manufacturer. All of its cams were designed for the aftermarket public at large and none were ever custom. Custom and off-the-shelf are mutally exclusive. HKS' custom cams, if any, go into the company's many race cars, although even here, it often-times uses its off-the-shelf products to show how good they are in extreme duty situations.

If you refer to the 1000 whp thread, you'll see that the guys using custom Crane Cams are mum on the cam's specs, but they are clearly BIG cams, from both lift and duration standpoints.

Sidoze, unless your head/block have been decked, HKS 272 cams will not create an interference motor, although your point about timing belts is well taken.

Ken.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
KenHenderson said:
If you refer to the 1000 whp thread, you'll see that the guys using custom Crane Cams are mum on the cam's specs, but they are clearly BIG cams, from both lift and duration standpoints.

Ken.
That's how it has always been in my v8 days... oh well... had to try :)

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
KenHenderson said:

Sidoze, unless your head/block have been decked, HKS 272 cams will not create an interference motor, although your point about timing belts is well taken.

Ken.

Unfotunately those of us lucky enough (there are only 3 shops) to sell the Crane racing cams, (not the regular ones available to anyone) are sworn to secrecy about the specs. They were developed in conjunction with a fully ported 2J head using CAD software and a flow bench.

I can tell you that they do make about 75 more HP than the HKS 280s at the same boost.

Also, depending on which pistons you use, the HKS 272s and 280s can give you an interference motor!

Lar

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Also, depending on which pistons you use, the HKS 272s and 280s can give you an interference motor!

Lar
This is true and my earlier comment to Sidoze's post was in error, as my frame of reference was the typical 8.5:1 piston. With more 2JZ engine builders going to higher compression pistons, as Larry and Sidoze both noted, an interference motor can be the result.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts