Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very angry.

I found a nice 1991 Turbo. I want it. I go to test drive it. first thing I notice is the bumper. It's a pre-89 style. I ask about this and find out that the previous owner had rear-ended someone, and appeared as though something like a trailerhitch had pierced the bumper, hood, and gone a short ways into the engine bay. Okay. I thoroughly check the bumper, reinforcements, all the coolers, everything I could think of. No problems.

I drive the car. Drives straight...slight vibration, but the tires have obviously been on it for a while and were worn a little. Turns and handles fine. Tranny shifted fine. No heating problems. There was a slight boost spike but the lower IC hose was kinna brittle.Everything inside and out of the car looked fine.

I tell him I'll let him know something today. I went ahead and got a loan, aranged insurance, and various other things, and call the guy to tell him I'll be there tomorrow. I got the Carfax about 30 minutes ago. Junk Title.

It says that the car was issued both a salvage title, and a junk title. On the list of registrations, it goes straight from a clean easy title, to the current owner and it's listed as a junk title with him.

I know very little of what this means...but I'm very agrivated. Can anyone give me an idea as to what I should do from here?

He's asking $4500, white, targa, clean clean paint, 5 point wheels, auto, leather interior, factory CD, everything seems to work.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
$4500 USD is alot....i paid about the same for mine, but canadiian dollars, and in the same shape as the one you described...

on another note, holy shit drjones 1 more post till 5000

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am...first thing in the am. This really pisses me off. When you sell something you don't just "not mention" certain things...I can't wait to hear him try to play it off as not a big deal...

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
If it has a junk title the car shouldn't be registerable anymore, at least that is how it is in CA. Junk title here means the car is to be destroyed. More than likely it was bought at a salvage auction, hence the salvage title, and he got a junk title on the car himself. Not sure why you would do this and try to sell the car. Sounds like a flakey deal to me.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
If it has a junk title the car shouldn't be registerable anymore, at least that is how it is in CA. Junk title here means the car is to be destroyed. More than likely it was bought at a salvage auction, hence the salvage title, and he got a junk title on the car himself. Not sure why you would do this and try to sell the car. Sounds like a flakey deal to me.
If it was only salvaged ( bought back from the insurance ususally) and fixed by getting brake and lamp inspection certification , then DMV would check the vin number and the Brake and Lamp and smog cert. Once its all code 4, they let you register it, but it only says Salvaged on the title.

As for junk, it means the car was non repairable, like in burnt or crazily wrecked etc.......

That is what happens in Cali...but im sure that would at least be similar in your area.

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
Yeah are you sure it's a junked title, junked means it would cost more than the car is worth to repair, salvaged just means sombody wrecked it (the rear ending thing) the damage was worth over 50% of the cost of the vehicle (labor paint and OEM parts can get expensive) but there is usually no frame damage. Plus I think it's illegal to sell a junked car as a car and it's illegal to drive a car with a junked title on the streets (you need to get it changed to salvaged) Anyways in no way is it worth 4.5k though, did you check the whole car to make sure it was a real 91 not a 88 with a 91 vin (which would be a good reason why its a junked title not salvage)

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked over the whole car...it's definitely a 91. Plus the firewall and frame vin stamps matched...also had round motor mounts...and none of the fender bolts and such had been turned. It was given a salvage title after an accident. According to Carfax it is now registered with a junk title/cirtificate.

I'm saying to hell with this. I'm going 1jz...it's cheaper...and my car has a spotless title...

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
hell yeah, invest your loan into your car.... I think the rewards will be higher :)

G

·
Dude, kick that mother fucker in the balls. He'd KNOW if it was a junk title when he tried to get insurance. Most states will only allow liability on a salvage title, and some states like CA won't even let a junk car on the road. (frame, or vital car damage). There are ways you can get it back to a salvage title I have 'heard', but its $$ if it broken. Don't waste your money dude. Seriously.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
In NY, you can get it back to a clean title, you just need to have proof all the parts that don't match the VIN # aren't stolen. If you know someone with a salvage yard, this is usually really easy. Verify what it takes to do this in Texas, and if it's possible you can probably pick a nice 91 up for really cheap.

G

·
If it has a salvage title it simply means that a certain percentage of the car was damaged. Salvaged title cars CAN be just fine. My daily driver is a salvaged nissan and it has been going strong for 8 years.

Perhaps the car just had body damage.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's the junk title that the car currently has that bothers me.

I have a relationship with my bank where I can go to him and ask for any amount for anything and he'll get me setup...so long as if he has a suggestion I consider it. He suggested that I not buy the car...so I'm not. I'm investing in my 89. 1jz...

G

·
i would still go see what that guy has to say abotu the tittle

and if you could get him down to like 1000, you might want to buy it and part it out

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hell yeah if he'd go that low...

I talked to him and he says it's no big deal...right. He says that the car currently has a refurbished title and that everything would be perfectly fine...unless I try to insure it or get a lease on it or try to get it registered or anything.

He tried to play it off as a minor thing because the damage wasn't that bad, said that the car didn't deserve a title like that, and that the car is in prime mechanical condition...none of that matters, though, when there's that little piece of paper floating around that says that the car was totaled. I told him that if he ever gets desperate to sell it I'll buy it for $1500...title or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts