Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I developed a little vibration that is RPM related. It starts at 2300 and is gone by 2900. If I give some throttle while in that 600 RPM window I can hear what sounds like a stack of quarters or washers being jingled. I'll be getting under the car this weekend to see what I can see. Anyone had a similar problem? driveshaft? loose tranny linkages? I'll update after I find the problem. thanks

·
11,217 Posts
I had the same shit when my driveshaft bolts were loose. It'd go away in the higher RPMs because the ds is spinning so fast the noise gets diluted.

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
michaelvanle said:
I had the same shit when my driveshaft bolts were loose. It'd go away in the higher RPMs because the ds is spinning so fast the noise gets diluted.

Loose bolts would expain the jingle...thanks.

It's not there at all in idle which made me think tranny or the drive system in some way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Could be 2 other things as well. Check your wheel bearings, when they start to go they make a jingling sound which will eventually turn into a nasty grind.

Or what happened to me was:
I had a jingle coming from the rear of the car, thought it was the wheel bearings, went to change them and after I took off the wheel, I saw a "cover" nut that fits over the wheel hub nut in the center. It is made out of a light grey sheet metal and is stamped in the shape of a star nut. I think a cotter key also goes thru it. Anyway, mine was actually what was jingling. If I put the car on a jack and spun the wheel the cover would move just enough to jingle. I put a dab of silicone on it and it's never made a noise since.

So try looking at that as well.

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well so far all bolts I can find are tight. Driveshaft is fine, wheel bearings have no play at all. Exhaust is hanging free of obstructions. I/C piping is not touching the metal body anywhere. I'm going to change out the spark plugs and give things just a once over the entire engine bay. I sure don't feel like taking my tranny out again... oh well I'll update when I find the pesky problem.

·
11,217 Posts
Oh yea just to add, as this happened to me before. I had a loose fw bolt once. The rattle was RPM dependent too. Car drove fine and everything, except it was rather noisy around 10-20mph. But of course it made a noise like crazy at idle too (which is not apparent with yours).

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
MattKIV said:
Could be 2 other things as well. Check your wheel bearings, when they start to go they make a jingling sound which will eventually turn into a nasty grind.

Or what happened to me was:
I had a jingle coming from the rear of the car, thought it was the wheel bearings, went to change them and after I took off the wheel, I saw a "cover" nut that fits over the wheel hub nut in the center. It is made out of a light grey sheet metal and is stamped in the shape of a star nut. I think a cotter key also goes thru it. Anyway, mine was actually what was jingling. If I put the car on a jack and spun the wheel the cover would move just enough to jingle. I put a dab of silicone on it and it's never made a noise since.

So try looking at that as well.
I was getting more and more scared that my car needed a new wheel bearing but I found exactly what you found...the other wheel looked brand new but the drivers side one is weird as hell...is there any other way to fix that?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can you describe what the drivers side looks like?
If it jus the cap jingling like mine was you just need to find a way to keep the cap from moving. The silicone worked perfect for me and is removable if I need to do work on the car. If the jingle IS coming from inside the wheel you will have to have the bearings looked at.

Try to describe the problem you have the best you can and I'll see if I can come up with a way to fix it.

As for the drivers side bieng wierd, what does wierd mean?
It you mean more degraded, since you are in MN chances are you see salt on the roads in the winter. Even if you don't drive your car in winter, there is still salt throughout most of the year. The drivers side faces most of the oncoming traffic, so you get splashed by more stuff on that side so the components on the drivers side will show slightly more wear (corrosion) then the passengers side. Just an observation I've made over the years living in PA.

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
Well, I just got the car from arizona in April so it really hasn't seen Minnesota salt yet...I have silicone laying around so I will just put a little bit on that piece...seems easy enough..

honestly I don't really know what I meant about the "weird as hell" thing...I think i was over tired or somethin lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts