Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Helicopter Pilot
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my wife just got us orders here to Hawaii. Will be bringing my MKIV here next year as we get established here. I'm waiting to being it here until later so that way I can attend supra nationals 2020 and then drop it off to be shipped here. Are there things I need to know about having a modded supra here?

·
Helicopter Pilot
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is my car in its hibernation state back in South Dakota. Its surrounded by a lot of beautiful cars. And a recent pic at my last car show

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice soup! As far as I know, there are around 10 Supras on the island. You will have to do a Recon inspection. I'm not fully aware of how Recon works since my Supra is completely stock with no need for Recon. However, I heard of other guys modifying some parts such as exhaust, window tints, and suspension to make it compliant. Since you'll be arriving before the Supra, I can get you in contact with the other Supra (modified) owners and they can give you all the ins and outs of the Recon process. Also, join the Cars and Coffee Hawaii on Facebook.

See you later and enjoy your time in Hawaii!
Cheers,
Eric

·
Helicopter Pilot
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. I know my 5% window tint wont fly. And I wonder what modifications to the exhaust and suspension you mentioned might entail. I'll have to get my wife to join the group as I dont have any social media account active anymore since 2015.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,159 Posts
What’s up dude?! Miss you! Enjoy your time in Hawaii!

·
Helicopter Pilot
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Pat. When I did log on here. I looked you up and noticed your still active. We will be in hawaii for the next 4 years. But the plan is to fly back to the main land in October 2020 to pick up the supra. Drive it down to SIV and then afterwards drop it off at the port in LA and fly home. So I'll either see you there or I'll drive through and stop by to see you.

·
Helicopter Pilot
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will not having front plate mounting holes prevent me from getting a recon sticker?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll be shipping mine back to the island in a few months (also on orders). As I recall there is a permit sticker you can get that allows you to keep your out of state plates, thus making the front plate not necessary if you're from somewhere like FL with just rears. I'm not familiar with that process since I bought mine the 1st time I was in HI, so it was already plated for HI.

Basic process as I remember it: pay for recon, fail, fix whatever, pay for recon again, fix something else because it's a different inspector, eventually pass and get the R sticker, pay for safety inspection (at whatever shop you like), fail because no registration, pay for registration and get plates (or Out of State Sticker), then go back to your safety shop to get your safety sticker. Typically the safety shop won't charge you again if you come back within 30 days. There are a few shops that will look the other way on recon stuff, but any further discussion on that isn't allowed here.

Also if you don't want to put the stickers on your rear bumper, get some brackets off Amazon to put the stickers on.

Out of State Permits (about halfway down):

Recon Info:

·
Helicopter Pilot
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm trying figure out what they would find wrong on a recon inspection if it came to my car. Nothing was half assed or rigged up to work. But a lot of work has been done of the car for instance suspension. Do they care about height due to coilovers or if you cut your Springs to lower it like that stuff? I mean I have a bit until I bring the car here so I have other visits with them when I bring my truck in to get a recon done as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts