Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone clarify for me? I was reading somewhere that you cannot tune a 2021 Supra (yet at least).

Can someone explain why that is, and if it's true? I get my 2021 on Sunday and just curious where to start.

Thanks guys, first post!

·
Super Moderator
2,327 Posts
I would recommend talking to the tuning shops. Unless things are changed the '21 ECU's are locked and have not been cracked yet. We have a few vendors here who can better explain it to you what is the current state of '21 tuning.

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
All of them made after about June of 2020 have a locked DME (ECU in BMW-speak) that is encrypted beyond any known cracks at this point.
It might be a matter of time before someone cracks them, might not. There's that glorious few months of '21 model production in early 2020 that had the updated cylinder head and specs but also a tuneable DME, but those command a premium price at this point.

This forum is mostly focused on the JZA80 / MKIV Supra and earlier models. There's a specific MKV forum site you can find on google that may be better able to help on specifics.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have seen a buncha videos the last 60 days with 2021 models tuned. I believe they cracked it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen a buncha videos the last 60 days with 2021 models tuned. I believe they cracked it.
Great to hear!

Also - So basically I am on the wrong forums? There are forums more centered around the newer models that would be able to better assist me? Just wanting to confirm.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful assistance. Great community here!

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
There's a group of Russian tuners that have supposedly figured it out. It requires physically sending your DME to Russia to bench flash it first, and since that's basically irreplaceable since it's coded to the specific car - I wouldn't risk it personally. I've also seen prices in the $2500-3k range just for the tuning service. But once unlocked it can be reflashed through the OBD-II port.
Also, a dealer that re-flashes the DME with updated software also re-locks it, and requires you to send the DME back to Russia or wherever to get bench-unlocked again.

Bench flashing/bench cracking isn't an unheard of requirement - I've had to deal with it professionally on many domestics, like Dodges starting in 2015, etc.

But sending that crucial and irreplaceable of a piece to somewhere like Russia in the current-world shipping situation, spending that much money, etc just isn't what I'd call a viable option.

I'd imagine there's a few US based tuners hot on the same trail, but none that I've seen deliver repeated results just yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
Great to hear!

Also - So basically I am on the wrong forums? There are forums more centered around the newer models that would be able to better assist me? Just wanting to confirm.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful assistance. Great community here!
For those of us that have been carrying the Supra torch for over 20 years, the MKV's nature as a 100% BMW product wasn't just received poorly - it was felt as a straight up betrayal with a middle-finger 'fuck you' to all of us. If a BMW product could replace the Supra, we'd have all bought 335's and shit like that 15+ years ago.

I'm not exaggerating about the 100% BMW nature, either. Toyota literally picked all their favorite bits out of the BMW parts bin and built it into a car after slapping Toyota badges and body parts on a Z4 chassis. Having worked lots of turbo BMW models, I have to grudgingly admit they generally chose well in their parts selection, but it's emphatically not a Toyota, but a Toyota-curated BMW product. So one should expect a BMW-like ownership experience when it comes to maintenance and downtime and random weird problems, especially as the years drag on. These cars are not expected to age well.

It's a good car, impressive, even, if it were simply a BMW Z4 performance package. But it simply doesn't live up to the name it wears IMHO. That opinion is shared by a lot of us. It's easily dismissed by many MKV owners as being bitter or 'being a hater' or whatever, but that's how it's felt and there's a very real rift between MKV owners and older Supra owners because of it.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the car. I can't post the link to those other forums because it gets filtered here, but if you google 'Supra MKV forum' you'll find it.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
884 Posts
Well said @Wreckless. I come from both camps. I have a 2002 4Runner, a 2004 330cic, a 2013 X5, and my 87T MK3.

Both my Toyotas are Toyota, and both my BMWs are BMW.

What I would have LOVED to have seen with a Supra MK5 would have been closer to Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet producing updated versions of their classic designs. I have driven a Dodge Challenger rental with the Hemi and I didn't want to give it back at the end of the week! (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well said @Wreckless. I come from both camps. I have a 2002 4Runner, a 2004 330cic, a 2013 X5, and my 87T MK3.

Both my Toyotas are Toyota, and both my BMWs are BMW.

What I would have LOVED to have seen with a Supra MK5 would have been closer to Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet producing updated versions of their classic designs. I have driven a Dodge Challenger rental with the Hemi and I didn't want to give it back at the end of the week! (y)

It was this or a Hellcat (test drove a 2016 white hellcat), and I went with this over the Hellcat as the amount of issues I've had with Dodges has been kinda crazy.

·
Registered
921 Posts
While at SIV, a few BMW MKV members flaunted how their supra was worth more because of the tunable ECU. sheeesh. There was a Gentleman there with a MKV with a 2J swap.
My idea was to swap ECU's but it has to be more complex with softawate/coding/chip ect.
I am a Basic Bee.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For those of us that have been carrying the Supra torch for over 20 years, the MKV's nature as a 100% BMW product wasn't just received poorly - it was felt as a straight up betrayal with a middle-finger 'fuck you' to all of us. If a BMW product could replace the Supra, we'd have all bought 335's and shit like that 15+ years ago.

I'm not exaggerating about the 100% BMW nature, either. Toyota literally picked all their favorite bits out of the BMW parts bin and built it into a car after slapping Toyota badges and body parts on a Z4 chassis. Having worked lots of turbo BMW models, I have to grudgingly admit they generally chose well in their parts selection, but it's emphatically not a Toyota, but a Toyota-curated BMW product. So one should expect a BMW-like ownership experience when it comes to maintenance and downtime and random weird problems, especially as the years drag on. These cars are not expected to age well.

It's a good car, impressive, even, if it were simply a BMW Z4 performance package. But it simply doesn't live up to the name it wears IMHO. That opinion is shared by a lot of us. It's easily dismissed by many MKV owners as being bitter or 'being a hater' or whatever, but that's how it's felt and there's a very real rift between MKV owners and older Supra owners because of it.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the car. I can't post the link to those other forums because it gets filtered here, but if you google 'Supra MKV forum' you'll find it.
100% agree! My MKIV is a far superior vehicle than the BMW 3 Series I owned. Hated working on the BMW and had to do it far more often than with the MKIV.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,759 Posts
Agreed, the last real Supra for this country was built in the late 90s.

My friends wondered why I was not excited when Toyota abused the name by calling a BMW a Supra.

Very weak on Toyota's part, though I do remember an article from a Toyota engineer a few years back saying "wait for the 4 cylinder, it will be great for 2JZ swap" I hope he did not get into trouble.

Hope you enjoy your Beemer, it sounds like a great car, but a true Supra it is not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts