Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Supra people,
I just bought a 86 N/A automatic Supra (7M) with 85k miles on it. This is my first time ever owning a Supra, and I was wondering what things I should do to the car to make it reliable and look good. The previous owner took good care of the car, and apparently "resealed the head gasket". (I checked the oil and it is not frothy). Car costed me $2300, but it needs a cat for Smog. Thank you!

Registered
Nice car! Shame it didn't come with a spoiler. I'd recommend going over your vacuum lines very carefully. The 7M-GE is a very reliable engine but can be VERY temperamental if it has any vacuum leaks. Looks like yours was a little more well taken care of than mine though 馃槄

Registered
Paint looks beautiful, looks like you got a good car for a really good price. First things I would do would be flush out all those fluids. Brake fluid looks like mud in the pic, should be near transparent. Flush the trans fluid, do an engine oil system cleaning(clean out all the oil passage ways that could have potential sludge deposits due to the engine being old). Probably swap out the rear diff oil and flush the power steering fluid as they are very likely to be the original toyota fluid...old as dirt. Then I'd run a throttle body and injector cleaner through the engine (the DIY version is basically using seafoam, but a local shop can do a professional version)to clean off all the carbon deposits off the intake valves, injector nozzles, pistons, blah blah blah. After that, replace the spark plugs, wires, those leaking valve cover gaskets, dizzy cap and rotor. Would also be a good idea to smoke test the intake to see if you have any vacuum leaks caused by old brittle hoses that would cause engine performance issues.
I'm sorry to see you live in California. Here in Nebraska, everyone just runs straight pipes and laugh when someone mentions emissions testing.

Registered
Lucky you! I think you're referring to "re-torqued the head gasket". Factory spec is 54 foot-pounds but we know that it should be higher at 72 foot-pounds.The radiator overflow hose needs to be secured. It looks like it's rubbing the alternator pulley. The alternator output connection is exposed. You may want to put black tape over it until you can find the plastic cap that covers it. Be careful not to use any alcohol containing cleaners or any cleaners at all for that matter on the white decals around the gauge cluster, turn signal stalk, windshield wipers, or adjusting buttons for the seat and mirrors. They will come off easily similar to what looks like happened to your TEMS decal. It night be good to know how much brake pad is remaining front and back.. Change them at or before 2 mm. Try and get a 86 or 87 Toyota factory repair manual if you plan on doing any work. They surface on eBay from time to time. There is an online reference manual from a 90 Supra. Click here for the manual. You could also pick up a mirror adjusting insert if not having the cover bothers you. You rarely see these in parts yards these days but if you do make a list of the things you're looking for. If you have the original timing belt at 85K miles it's time to change it. Toyota says 60K or 10 years. I usually change mine around 80K. Only use a Toyota made timing belt. The idler pulley probably still good. Mine had 238K on it before I finally switched for safety's sake. Here's a photo of the routing for the radiator overflow line to the tank In front of the radiator. Trying find some of that corrugated split tubing for your wiring harness going over the tops of the valve covers to protect it from heat. The back wiring harness could use some as well since it's deteriorating.

Registered
Nice find, my 88 was an NA auto that I picked up for cheap as well. Yours appears to be in really good condition overall, I'm impressed, not even the nose panel or bumper have fading paint. :)

Like others have mentioned, fluid changes are a good idea unless the previous owner kept a good log informing you of when the last time fluids were changed or other maintenance has been done. Also, Bruder's point about having a TSRM? Spot on, get yourself one, it absolutely will come in handy for when you work on the car. I've had mine nearly 15 years now and I STILL learn things about these cars.

My personal recommendation to keep things nice? Tint and a sun shade for the windshield. If you're not big on dark windows, consider 3M uh... uh... hmm. I seem to have forgotten the model line of 3M tint that I'm thinking of. It's optically clear, but blocks all the UV that destroys interiors over time.

Anyway, what are your intentions with the car? Absolutely not a thing in the world wrong with keeping it how it is and enjoying it. Mine made a fantastic commuter and was minimally modified while I owned it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts