Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to tuning so bear with me. I just bought a built 2jzgte from some guy who pieced it together paycheck to paycheck but never tried to start it because he lost interest and never knew how to tune. Anyways after checking everything over and double checking his build everything seems in order. Is a basemap something that I can get from someone on the forums or is that something I'm better off buying? What would someone need to do that other than specs? I'm pretty well versed in engines and understand the basic concept of tuning but am worried about actually doing it myself. Here are the specs if this helps any.
Aem infinity 508
Boomslang harness
6262 precision journal bearing turbo
Precision 46mm wastegate
Tial 50mm bov
Cxracing manifold
3in exhaust
1000cc fic injectors
Aeromotive fpr
Aem 320lph fuel pump
Innovative wideband
Mac boost solenoid
Aem 5bar map
Radium fuel rail
Mishimoto intercooler
Dbw delete
Carbon fiber hood
Altezza rep grill/front lip
Yonaka radiator/shroud fans
Battery relocated to trunk
Thank you in advance. If I'm better off paying someone to do it let me know because I definitely don't want to screw it up but I want to learn and do it myself if possible.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would look for a decent base map and modify it with your specifics. Try to get the car to start and idle, then work on drivability with light loads, tip-in, etc.

Keep the timing conservative and fuel on the rich side in the high load areas.

Once you get the drivability down, slowly increase load and boost while watching your knock sensors. Try and get your fuel dialed in at 11:1 (conservative, high loads) and start adding timing slowly.

Lastly, read, read, read..... Always log everything and review. Try to get as much data as you can.

I have always tuned all of my cars and can't imagine paying anyone to do it as I'm constantly changing parts, boost levels, etc.... There is nothing more rewarding than squeezing more speed out of your car with just a laptop.....

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,404 Posts
^Agreed! I learned how to tune myself utilizing a Aem Infinity and did exactly as above poster stated.

Baby steps and data logging, then you have the knowledge on every aspect of your vehicle and if something every goes wrong you know exactly where to look for answers. Versus having to pray your tuner is available and willing to assist you, but on their schedule first.

Not to mention drivability. I have never had any of my vehicles drive like oem with paying a tuner. Most worry about dyno numbers and spend 20 mins cruising around for a “street” tune.

Self tuning I would data log everytime I drove and would make small adjustments to improve the quality of the drive. That and its very rewarding knowing you tuned it.

If you’re not comfortable then definitely find a reputable tuner that more than one customer can vouch for on their work and support.

Sounds like you have a very nice setup!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would look for a decent base map and modify it with your specifics. Try to get the car to start and idle, then work on drivability with light loads, tip-in, etc.

Keep the timing conservative and fuel on the rich side in the high load areas.

Once you get the drivability down, slowly increase load and boost while watching your knock sensors. Try and get your fuel dialed in at 11:1 (conservative, high loads) and start adding timing slowly.

Lastly, read, read, read..... Always log everything and review. Try to get as much data as you can.

I have always tuned all of my cars and can't imagine paying anyone to do it as I'm constantly changing parts, boost levels, etc.... There is nothing more rewarding than squeezing more speed out of your car with just a laptop.....
Do you know of any good places to look?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Try AEM website first I would think.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,404 Posts
Yes, the Aem Infinity software should have a base map to start. Just change the items that pertain to your modifications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts