Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I recently bought Jbsupra89's car formerly toysup's old car and was loving it until the wastegate line burnt through on the downpipe and overboosted the engine causing some extreme yet to be seen damage but compression results are showing
6- 30psi
5- 0psi
4- 110psi
3- 135psi
2- 115psi
1- 135psi
Already have the motor partially dissasembled and getting ready to be pulled out. I am wondering if anybody knows a reputable place in the NY area that would be able to rebuild the engine in a reasonable amount of time or if anybody has a built or known good shortblock for sale. Maybe a few of you 1jz gurus can chime in if you got any input or good sources for parts for me.... It really sucks how in 1 week you can be the happiest ever and go to the extreme opposite before the weeks over :(

Looking forward to any help or recomendations you guys can give me in my shitty situation.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ouch that suks...one of the only 1js to blow??

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
There was a couple 1jz short / long blocks for sale in the 1jz fs section. That or, you can get a brand new 2JZ short block at a few dealers on here for $2000.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,952 Posts
Serzy said:
Well I recently bought Jbsupra89's car formerly toysup's old car and was loving it until the wastegate line burnt through on the downpipe and overboosted the engine causing some extreme yet to be seen damage but compression results are showing
6- 30psi
5- 0psi
4- 110psi
3- 135psi
2- 115psi
1- 135psi
Already have the motor partially dissasembled and getting ready to be pulled out. I am wondering if anybody knows a reputable place in the NY area that would be able to rebuild the engine in a reasonable amount of time or if anybody has a built or known good shortblock for sale. Maybe a few of you 1jz gurus can chime in if you got any input or good sources for parts for me.... It really sucks how in 1 week you can be the happiest ever and go to the extreme opposite before the weeks over :(

Looking forward to any help or recomendations you guys can give me in my shitty situation.

Rebuild that thing man. I know Lee at lab and a few others to help out. 646 245 5908.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
u can get a 2jz 3.0 block for $2200 + shipping from jeff watson. Thats a good price IMHO. As far as the head goes just see what shape the valves are in, if u need new ones its not the end of the world.

~scott

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
Wow. just bought the car and already had engine failure like that. That's harsh man :[ Trust me, I know. I toasted my first 1J due to similar overboosting problems. It's no fun.

I have my 2nd one now and I can tell you it would probably be cheaper to just purchase another engine by itself from somewhere, get yourself a gasket kit from champion to replace all your important seals while the engine is out, and just swap over everything you need to the new one and put it back in. This is what I did. It's pretty easy since you already have all the compatible parts you need so it doesn't even matter what car your new 1j came out of. My 2nd motor is actually a JZX83 (IIRC) engine. I just had to swap over the engine mount brackets, oil pan, oil return line from the turbos, the throttle body, and a couple other things from the 1st Supra engine. 1J engines by themselves are dirt cheap in comparison to other engines since there's not a real big market here for the engine by itself without the rest of the parts that would make a running swap.

Good luck.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
1JZ's dont die man.. I'd check your compression tester if I was you. :angel:

But if it really is true.. 1JZ shortblocks are all over the place and can be picked up for $500 or even less sometimes.

·
5,952 Posts
scottiedawg66 said:
u can get a 2jz 3.0 block for $2200 + shipping from jeff watson. Thats a good price IMHO. As far as the head goes just see what shape the valves are in, if u need new ones its not the end of the world.

~scott

He can get his rebuilt short block for that price too!

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
808mkiiisupra said:
ouch that suks...one of the only 1js to blow??
Lol, we killed like 4 + 1jz's already... they are not indestructable... aight peace :chicken:

ps- might be cheaper to just get another 1jz also... or go 2jz ;)

pss- You Got Punk'd... :wavey:

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
that sucks!

Yea 1jz blocks are around.. easay to throw in.. but might as well upgrade when you have it apart :) 1.5jz

1jzs blow just as easy and any other engine..

·
Registered
375 Posts
yea i guess they are not indestructable...get a 2jz bottom end... at least you can make more power then when it was 2.5l...you going that far already.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
That sucks, sorry about that misfortune (mi$$ing fortune), however 1JZ's are getting alot easier to come by than in the past............
BoostAddctn said:
Lol, we killed like 4 + 1jz's already... they are not indestructable... aight peace :chicken:

ps- might be cheaper to just get another 1jz also... or go 2jz ;)

pss- You Got Punk'd... :wavey:
Sounds like he punked hisself!
Serzy said:
.....................was loving it until the wastegate line burnt through on the downpipe and overboosted the engine causing some extreme yet to be seen damage .........................

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I were to do the 1.5jz conversion what exactly has to be done besides buying the 2jz block? Does it mount up identicaly or do I need to start custom fabbing some stuff?

Qwik I tried giving you a call earlier to talk with ya cause I know you know all the local places to get this stuff done at. Does lab just do machine work or will the do machine work and assembly?

And I cant believe all the replies this got so fast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I blew a 1jz as well its just cheaper and less of a hassle to get another motor and drop it in, all the trouble you have to go through for a rebuild will cost just as much and you still have to reassemble the motor when you get it back.
Imo Just get another motor swap harnesses and drop it in

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i wouldnt get a brand new 2jz from the dealer, unless you were willing to put in some extra work... the new castings need to have the oil pump gallies ported out because of excessive casting flash.

·
5,952 Posts
flubyux2 said:
i wouldnt get a brand new 2jz from the dealer, unless you were willing to put in some extra work... the new castings need to have the oil pump gallies ported out because of excessive casting flash.

Thanks for saying what I didnt feel like typing.;)

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Wow you bought JB's supra? I loved that supra, but that sucks about your misfortune, If I where you id just replace the motor like the rest of these guys have suggested good luck

Woot my 1000th post!!!

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
I have a 2jzgte short block with 2800 miles, ready to go. It was warrantied out through my dealer due to "low compression" which was due to bad valve job. Im putting rings in it for the sole purpose that I stand behind everything I sell, cleaned and ready to go $1200 shipped.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts