Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a TIG welder today, it is an AC/DC machine with squarewave, which means I can weld aluminum too. What should I build?, what does the mk3 comumity need?.

I am currently working on a custom tubular manifold to mount my TO4E, I already have all the flanges made, and I am just waiting for the U bends to come in. And I am making a Stainless steel version of my downpipe for a friend.

Feel free to say any ides you might have.

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
yah jz style manifold

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Front-Face intake manifold, exh manifold(s) for ct26 and maybe others, dp/w elbow .. again, full exh(?), IC pipes for stock intercooler/and others ... all in SS . Do whatever you want. Best regards. Cool purchase.

Multi-point strut-bars. <---Thank you Schmleff.:D

Maybe all inds of other bars to like sway/various brace like Targa/rear-cross etc too.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will build a JZ style intake manifold next spring.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Where do you reccomend getting a welder from for someone just wanting a home/hobby unit? 220V would be great.. and the ability to do aluminum would be a bonus. Would a MIG probly be my best option? Ive done lots of gas and arc welding, not much with wire feed though. I dont want to spend too much, maybe even go with a good used unit. Any suggestions?

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stonedworm- For most jobs a 110 volt wire feed welder will work great, it can weld up to 3/16"-1/4" in one pass. You can find them at Lodco and weld shops for around $400-600.
I also have a Miller 180 amp, 220 v wire feed that I have done all my welding with. The miller 180 was about $1000 cad, and the spool gun to weld aluminum is about $1000 on top of the welder. If you want to do aluminum it is very expensive. I know they make mig welders that can do aluminum but they are around $3000, and a good TIG is about the same.

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
Build a truckasaurus type thing like they have at monster truck shows, but out of a mkiii! :D Full exhausts, ic pipes, jz style intake mani, and tubular exhaust mani would be my choices.

·
Akai Suisei - &#36196;&#12356;&#24407;&#26143;
10,377 Posts
Build me a free downpipe. HA HA HA. Ignore my post, i'm high on permanent marker

·
Registered
961 Posts
becauseican said:
stonedworm- For most jobs a 110 volt wire feed welder will work great, it can weld up to 3/16"-1/4" in one pass. You can find them at Lodco and weld shops for around $400-600.
I also have a Miller 180 amp, 220 v wire feed that I have done all my welding with. The miller 180 was about $1000 cad, and the spool gun to weld aluminum is about $1000 on top of the welder. If you want to do aluminum it is very expensive. I know they make mig welders that can do aluminum but they are around $3000, and a good TIG is about the same.
Cool thanks for the advice. Maybe a 110 will work for my needs.. I didnt know they could do up to 1/4". I think ill pick one up next time they go on sale.

G

·
i have a tig w/ square wave as well i have only made 3in exhaust so far... but if you get any ideas out of the ordanary let me know about them.

p.s. isnt it fun?

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Hardpipes, hardpipes, hardpipes, hardpipes!

oh, and I forgot to mention......hardpipes!:D

Keep up the great work Randy! Your downpipe was awsome!

Jason

G

·
i think a jz style manifold with hardpipes, so it will bolt right up

but you should make 2 different for the intercooler outlet, so if you sold them, you could have 1 pipe for the people that have an intercooler that has the inlet and outlet on oposite sides, and a different pipe for people who are using a stock or similar intercooler that has the inlet and outlet on the same side

1 - 20 of 28 Posts