Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ill be the first to admit i dont know much about 2jz's. Atleast not yet. I know rotarys. Any ways i have always been impressed by the motor and it potential for power thats why i bought this car (and i got a good deal).

Well about the IS300 now, it has an xs intercoo,l xs turbo kit with a .81 a/r, a twin turbo supra bottom end with the vvti head, a haltec ek6, msd ignition, and hks dampeners and coil overs.

My problems, well the worst problem is the tranny. It leaks really bad and it slips going into 2nd and catches hard in 3rd. when I put it in gear it makes a loud clunk noise. YES ITS GOING OUT, im trying to make it last as long as posible. Any ways i know that alot of the 2jz guys put turbo 400's behind the higher hp cars, well i have never heard of someone using a turbo 350. I was wondering why this is, and if it posible?
Second problem, my car doesnt like to start in the morning or when ever it has sat for some time. It sounds like the cold start injector to me, so my question is could that just be because of the healtec or is it kinda hard to say?
Third and last problem. The tack doesnt work I dont think the msd would affect the tack signal but like i said not sure.

I was told to post this here and that maybe you guys could help.

Any and all advise would be helpful, thanks in advance
--Arron

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

I'm not familiar with your computer setup, but if you need any help with other issues drop me a line. I'm in Springtown as well.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
hey boosted bird....the reason most people dont turbo350s cause they only have 3 gears...400 has four..so its more suited for the highway runs....n congrats on ure purchase!!

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
the cold start problem: my car usually takes two tries to start (some times....)... well, talking to a mechanic, they told me that it was do to me running a colder plug. I accept that answer, and my car still have never not start period.

Don't hold out too long on the tranny. I ended up driving mine with the clutch slipping until the clutch just stopped working... and I ended up having to replace the clutch,flywheel,pressure plate, and the transmission (well the clutch was slipping because I didn;t have 1st or second gear!! :)). Oh well... good luck to you

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
jdmuscle said:
hey boosted bird....the reason most people dont turbo350s cause they only have 3 gears...400 has four..so its more suited for the highway runs....n congrats on ure purchase!!
No, that's not correct. They are both three speed automatics. The turbo 350 came behind small block chevys (traditionally) while the 400 came behind big block chevys. The 350 can be built to be every bit as stout as 400. Why not use the 350? I have no idea....perhaps the logic is a TH400 *sounds better* than "just a turbo 350". The 400 will definately sap more power than a 350 does. Strength? There are a few 8 sec TH350 Supra running around.

Ryan

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
Incidentally, I know Boost Logic installed a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit into a Supra recently. That would give you that 4th gear for highway cruising with the TH400.

Ryan

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
ohh well...thats wat i heard from a local member here...well i guess i was lied too...sorry for the miss information bossted bird...thanks for correcting me ryan!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
do a search, that car belonged to Supraforums member EMODRAGRACER (is300.net FAIRUZA11)

the car has a LONG history...

best of luck with it....

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you mean a long history? ^^
Also do you know if the tranny tunnel is too small for the turbo series trannys? i was told it was more narrow then on the mk4'. not sure if this is true or not.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
boosted-bird said:
what do you mean a long history? ^^
Also do you know if the tranny tunnel is too small for the turbo series trannys? i was told it was more narrow then on the mk4'. not sure if this is true or not.
I mean that car has gone through hell and back as far as the engine and transmission are concerned....

the engine has a Supra TT bottom end.....

the car has gone through numerious turbo set ups and even had a supercharger on it at one point....

the car was street raced and drag raced many many many times....

I bet you didnt know all that when you bought the car right.... :doh:

·
Former Moderator
3,783 Posts
You should try to contact tranny gurus such as Kean and Larry. They would be able to help you the most, as they have done a LOT of conversions.

Good luck with the car man.

-Olivier

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where do i contact them at?^ ya i know the car has been raced hard but i figured it an inline 6 2jz and a twin turbo supra bottom end with 28k miles and they are strong motors. Also i could part the car out for more then i payed for it!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I saw that car forsale on ebay i think. The problems with cold start and such are probably a tuning issue. If i were you i would either take the Haltec out and sell it and get aem or have someone who knows alot about Haltecs tune it.

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what could i get out of the haltec and how much do the aem ems's run for IS300's i havnt been able to find any good sites to look for parts.

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as far as the tranny goes how do i get ahold of Kean or Larry to see what my options are? And what do mk4 manual trannys go for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
that thunking noise i believe is the driveshaft

in my stock IS i had awhile back ago, it made the same noise

people all over is.net thought something was wrong with the tranny but i believe is300gte said that it was normal and you shouldnt worry abou tit

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do you think the u-joints could be going out in the shaft? I thought about it beeing the shaft but just dismissed it as the tranny. i read somewhere that the tranny in my car had a 3300 stall or a 3000 stall, cant remember. Does anyone know if thats a built tranny in my car if so why does it shift like sh*t? i was going to change the pan gasket because i think thats whats leaking at least from what i can see, and filter but was advised against that from my local shop. They told me that somtimes trannys that are going out work for awhile until new fluid has ben put in it then they dont work at all. somthing to do with particals (frictions as he called them) in the fluid.

I would really like to go with a chevy tranny for a few reasons, one they are strong, two they are a dime a dozen and i can afford to break them from time to time! the only thing is that some people say they will fit, some say you just have do some modification, and some say it just wont fit. WHICH IS IT?

Also im on a budget. I work at O'riellys and im a full time student. so, sorry if im going back and forth on subjects, im just trying to figue out what order to do stuff in. tunig ecu, tranny ect.

thanks in advance for any advise
--Arron

1 - 20 of 29 Posts