Supra Forums banner

Just Dynoed T-78 Auto with stock internals and stock cams

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  DerekSupra 
#1 ·
Hey guys I finally got the car to where I want it to be for now. With stock internals and stock cams the car dynoed very well in my opinion for an auto. It got 510 at 18lbs on pump gas, 575 at 18lbs with NOS, 590 at 28lbs on race gas, 660 at 28lbs with NOS. All these numbers were corrected and with torque converter locked up under WOT. I tuned it to 11.5 on the pump gas and 11.8 on race gas. The car was very impressive it shocked me to see that my auto could make those numbers. I used a 70 shot of NOS on these runs to get the fuel curve straight. Now the uncorrected numbers are as follows. The weather was very cool yesterday in Houston and great dynoing weather. The car made 532 at 18lbs, 601 at 18lbs with NOS, 617 at 28lbs, and 690 at 28lbs with NOS. I was so amazed at the numbers. Max torque was 680lbs on the 690 run. I could not believe that the auto would put out such a number without cams or aftermarket intake manifold, which are two more things on my wish list. Well just sharing some info for you guys with autos that want to convert to six speed. It can be done with an auto. Now i am waiting to go to the track with this setup. Going to try and run low 10s since i have more power now then when i ran my 10.50 when the car only made 605 corrected. I will keep you guys up to date on the performance from the track. Thanks for your time reading this long post.

Henry Nguyen
93 Anthracite T-78 Auto
10.50 @131
690rwhp, 680 rwtq

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrat's one the #'s....Can't wait to get my auto on the dyno...

#3 ·
Thanks, hope your auto does well also especially with the bullish intake manifold. By the way I was planning on getting that manifold. How do you like it. Pros and Cons. Thanks for the info.

Henry

#4 ·
Sounds sweet Henry! Your hard work is definately paying off now. I am happy that u have reached and surpassed the goals u had set for your self, and the best part about all this is that u did it yourself. Must feel really fucking good!
yoshie
P.S- Let me go to the track with u, I could definately use some tips on launching.

#5 ·
Thanks Yoshie, hope you don't regret switching from 6-speed to Auto. Sure i will show you how to launch the RSP at the track. I will call you next time I go. Hopefully before they close for the winter.

#6 ·
WHat is the driveability like with a T78 on an automatic... what is your staul... 3800rpm, 4000?... just off the top of your head... how long does it take from a stop... just on the street.. no launching or anything to really feel the power of the turbo.. do you sit there waiting for a second.. or is it pretty quick?

Im still trying to pick out that perfect turbo kit, and the T78 is $1500 less than a Sound Performance setup.. although.. I still have my heat set on an SP kit..

#7 ·
Well realistically it probably takes the turbo about 2 to 2.5 seconds for it to spool. But when it spools that 2.5 second that it takes to get there does not matter anymore because the power curve is so steep that it pulls you like a roller coaster. It does not seem very long for it to spool because you are not actually racing anyone but if you line up against someone and just take of and not launch it, you will see the difference. I have a 4000 stall and the driveability is fine. I really don't know realize the difference. I like the kit very much. It is the best bang for the buck out there besides its bigger brother the T-88. Hope this helps in deciding on which turbo to get. I had to make the same decision. Many were telling me to get the T-66 at the time but i thought about it and decided to use the money that i saved in buying the T-78 kit and put it toward my fuel system. Everything works out well. I believe that you will be happy with any turbo kit you go with because they both will give you the power you need. I would recommend the T-78 kit of course.

#8 ·
Henry, great number. can you post the dynosheet. I want to see how the automatic t-78 compares to mine 6-speed dyno. I think I got AFC+VPC wiring correct now. I am hoping to put the car back on the dyno in a couple of weeks. I am still looking for that majic number of 650 no NOS.

#10 ·
anthraciteboy said:
Thanks, hope your auto does well also especially with the bullish intake manifold. By the way I was planning on getting that manifold. How do you like it. Pros and Cons. Thanks for the info.

Henry
I must say, I am VERY happy with the Bullish Intake Manifold, top quality polished unit...complete with 80mm throttle body! Pros: Power, top-end, really lets these big turbos breath with the big throttle body...
Cons: Price - $1500, 10-14 days to get it built. From what I gather you MUST use an aftermarket throttle body too...that's another $300-$350. You'd have to double check that last part with Ara.

I think I'm gonna have pro-tech build by tranny next week, they're only about 30 min from Bullish, so - hopefully, i'll have some big boost pulls in by xmas!...ah, what a present!

Jay

#11 ·
turbomkiv - sure i will post the dyno sheets. I scanned some last night let me try to see if i can put it on here. I am very sure that you can reach 650 with turbo alone because if i made 617 on turbo with an auto i am very sure that you can get there. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. The dyno sheet starts at 4800 or 5000 because of my auto I have to start there or else it will down shift to second so you really cannot compare spool up. I will try to hook up the shift box and dyno again to see the actual spool up for an auto in 3rd gear.

chappy - thank for the recognition. I finally got the beast where i want it, it just took time with the proper wiring and tuning. Thanks to Tommy and Kean who kept on telling me that i have the VPC and AFC hooked up wrong, that really helped the car achieve 690rwhp and 680rwtq, thanks guys.

Philly Single - Yeah i talked to Ara already and he said that it is not necessary to get an aftermarket throttle body. I already have mine bored out 4mm over stock so hopefully that is enough flow with the bullish intake manifold. It is pricy but i think it is worth it just like a set of cams. Good luck with the dyno. Did you ever think of getting your tranny built by dynamic turbo. This is the tranny i have and i have been running it for a year with no problems. Only thing is turn around time is like 2 months. Just a FYI.

I am going to try to post to the dyno sheets below in the link.

#12 ·
The scanned dyno charts were to large for me to attach. I will find a way to and post them soon.

#13 ·
Hey turbomkiv can you ask ktrends to post my dyno if i email him like he did for yours.
Thanks

#16 ·
I usually hang out on Saturday nights at the Star Bucks at Westheimer and Post Oak, next to Jamba Juice. If you want you can meet us there.

No I cannot post videos. I have some though! Any takers on posting my 10.50 video.

Thanks

G
#18 ·
henry ,good job i also have an automatic car with a to4r and made 570 hp and 564 tq on 100 octane at 27 lbs this is with a .58 ar housing it spools very fast . i have not had it to the strip but it is a blast on the street hope to see you in the spring at the meet

G
#19 ·
henry ,good job i also have an automatic car with a to4r and made 570 hp and 564 tq on 100 octane at 27 lbs this is with a .58 ar housing it spools very fast . i have not had it to the strip but it is a blast on the street hope to see you in the spring at the meet

#21 ·
Upgrade to tranny>

Hate to bother you but you said that you have no internal work done besides the T78 kit? Thats some awsome #'s ! Did you do any work to the tranny? If so, what was done? I was thinking of getting this kit but so many people are telling me its not worth it cuz of the lag and cuz I have an auto. My main concern is the transmission. Please help if you can.

#24 ·
For a list of the upgrades you can check out the Sound Performance and/or the Powerhouse Racing websites. There are also several other shops around the country that are starting to buildup the Supra tranny. The high stall converter is also a must. Precision Industries made mine and they have a great product and excellent customer service/product support.
Later, Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.