Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to go bpu, but I want to buy stuff that will be able to be used when I save another $10000 or so and go with the single turbo setup, beefed up automatic, and high stall converter. What are the first upgrade parts I should buy and what will I be able to do myself and what will require a speedshop? I am mechanically inclined to a certain degree but I am not a mechanic be any means. Also if you guys know of a good supra speedshop in FL let me know 'cause I'm still looking. Thanks,

SwamiBob

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i would go with a downpipe, and a greddy boost cut controller right off the bat. oh yeah, also a good boost gauge. if you have enough extra after those mods, ide get a exhaust, and a boost controller. 400 at the wheels should hold you off for a little bit:)

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Congratulations!

First of all congrats on the new purchase!

You can do all the BPU mods with some friends, they're easy.

Just make sure you get some good jacks (hydraulic ones) and some jack stands. You don't want your car falling on you :)

Get a GReddy BCC, Boost gauge, Downpipe ($250 from PMImporting), Exhaust, intake kit, EGR block-off kit ($10 from Mohd on the mkiv.com list), swap ALL the fluids in the car (10W30 mobil 1 for the motor, STOCK (demand the stuff that CAME with the Supra, not the stuff they put in Camrys and Celicas) Toyota fluids for the transmission and differential and radiator). You probably want a boost controller, too... everyone likes the Blitz DSBC. The HKS EVC EZ is really cheap and simple, too. Or you could be a cheapass like me and do the VSV mod and just boost 18psi all the time.

If you add in a fuel controller (probably should get a shop to tune this one...) you can probably hit over 400rwhp pretty easily.

I'd say the hardest thing to do is the downpipe, since you have to get under the car and wrench like hell at the downpipe bolts (which have probably rusted up a little bit). Nothing a little muscle and some breaker bars won't handle...

Also, get better tires (I like Bridgestone Potenzas, 255/40/17 and 285/40/17) and maybe front and rear strut tower bars. Get the TRD front bar, it's a badass unit. :)

I'm in SoCal so I can't help you with shops in Florida, but I know there are at least a few high-profile Supra shops there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand everything except the boost cut controler. What does that do exactly and what kind of exhaust gets the most power and will be good when I go single?

·
Registered
658 Posts
supposedly not that much difference btween exhasut interms of reduction in back pressure. the boost cut is because the ecu will limit boost to 13.7 so that if the waste gate craps out you don't over boost. since we are trying to overboost on purpose we don't want boost cut. Running 16 1- 18 psi is relativly safe for the stock turbos 20 and up they have a shorter life span. Inorder to get there you need to fool the ecu the greddy unit is recomended by the mkiv.com list is about a 100.00

1 - 5 of 5 Posts