Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
king lurker
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my friend's uncle just got a 86 mk2 with a 5mge engine in it and i was wondering whats the best way to go in upgrades for it. I know the best way to gain real speed is to drop a 7mgte in it and get ta boostin but although we plan to do that what type of upgrades can i put on it now just told hold him over untill we drop the 7m in? right now i was thinking of a KN, msd ignition box, spark plugs&wires, msd ignition coils, possibly injectors and exhuast. Where can u get an exhuast kit and is there like a KN FIPK kit for mk2's? thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you're not going to keep this engine, why bother spending money on it? Apart from the exhaust, I don't think anything in your list will make much of a difference.

An "upgraded" air filter (like a K&N) will do very little apart from making a whooshing noise. The ignition stuff is a waste of time for a standard engine - the factory ignition system is more than sufficient if in good working order. I'm not sure what you mean by injectors - apart from cleaning them (if they're dirty/blocked), there's not a whole lot you can do with injectors.

In short, save your money until the 7M goes in!

·
king lurker
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also it seems that my friend is some what of a sissy and might not want to go through with the 7m drop. so what other solutions do i have to make power?

A

·
0 Posts
if he wants to keep the engine. then take good care of it... its either the 7m or the 5m... if keeping the 5m, then do the spark plug, get better header, , nice oil change, and other stuff.

·
king lurker
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much would a good header cost. and what type of hp gains are we looking at? also what other mods can i do to get the most out of the 5m before we put the 7m in b/c it'll probably be a while down the road.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Pacesetter mid 100's painted and high 200's for the coated ones. JcWhitney has about the cheapest prices on Pacesetters. Note that the Pacesetters require some mods to work correctly. Thorley header run in the low to mid 300's, they're chromed and should drop right in. They also have a CARB EO# so that they're smog legal. Check this place out for a good price on the Thorley (in the exhaust section).

http://www.pro-max.com/

Aaron I

1 - 9 of 9 Posts