Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just got my car home last Saturday, and I have a few questions.

The car has 87K on it. The only mods it has is a HKS filter, Cat-back exhaust, and it is running non-sequential. It runs very strong, and has had the timming belt replaced. It has a small oil leak either at the rear main seal, or the oil pan. I am getting a compression test done very soon. Is there anything I need to pay any attention to or replace before it is too late?
Also, I was told you can take out the clock, and put a gauge in place. If so does any special prep/modding have to be done to allow it to accept a standard 60mm(?) gauge? Also where is the best spot/ line to tap for a boost gauge? I have a MBC I want to install also. I was told that you can only boost to 14psi w/ out a fuel-cut defenser, and once I get one of those, I can run 20psi safley. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
-Steve

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
honestly go to mkiv.com they have all the info you really want !

also to put a 60mm boost guage you will need to cut the opening from the clock bigger i think it takes a 52mm !

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so does any special prep/modding have to be done to allow it to accept a standard 60mm(?) gauge?

You would have to bore the hole out more to accept the 60mm otherwise the 52mm fits perfect. That is what i have.

. I was told that you can only boost to 14psi w/ out a fuel-cut defenser, and once I get one of those, I can run 20psi safley.
I wouldnt say safely. Its going to reduce the life of the turbos running at that high of boost.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"52mm" That's what I meant. Sorry. I was too lazy too check ;)

So is it true that 14psi is the limit before fuel-cut? I'm a bit confused about this here... My old car (vr-4) "fuel-cut". Does the Supra "fuel-cut" or "boost-cut", or is it the same thing?
I think I just figured it out. The boost-cut defenser (or whatever it is) is another way to eliminate fuel-cut, instead of a fuel-cut defenser.

How high of boost do you think I should run???

thanks again
-Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
18# is enuff boost, most ppl will agree that this is the amount of boost that is most efficient, not only that, its usually enuff to take out most cars on the road. u will definitely need some sort of boost cut eliminator, go with the greddy bcc, as it is the one 9 outta 10 ppl use, the other 1/10 use a hks fcd. later
kevin

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
ditto this reply!
aznsupra said:
18# is enuff boost, most ppl will agree that this is the amount of boost that is most efficient, not only that, its usually enuff to take out most cars on the road. u will definitely need some sort of boost cut eliminator, go with the greddy bcc, as it is the one 9 outta 10 ppl use, the other 1/10 use a hks fcd. later
kevin

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I put the boost gauge in, and I'm now running 14psi :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much did you pay for it if you dont mind i ask? I am also looking at a 94 supra tt 6speed with 38000 miles. The guy is asking 26g. I think its kinda too much for a 94. what do you guys think? It also comes with a 2 year warranty from lexus.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid $20,000.00 for my 94' 6spd. with 29,000 miles on it.;)

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
It has a small oil leak either at the rear main seal, or the oil pan.
-if the bottom of the oil pan is just wet, and it's anything harder to replace than the lower oil pan seal, I wouldnt worry about it. I would be far more concerned about the oil level. Usually when I buy a new car, do major work, or change my oil, I monitor it closely for a few days (to monitor it closely I use the same conditions, ie, in the morning when the car is ice cold, on the same parking spot)

Is there anything I need to pay any attention to or replace before it is too late?
-I'm a big believer in, you buy a car, you do *ALL* fluids on it. "Expired" fluids is a great way to "expire" expensive mechanical parts. Even old PS fluid can damage parts. If you want to save money, get cheap, name brand fluids. I would recommend using synthetics. Also, in say, 3 years from now, I know that on X date, at X mileage, ALL my fluids were fresh.

Also, I was told you can take out the clock, and put a gauge in place. If so does any special prep/modding have to be done to allow it to accept a standard 60mm(?) gauge?
-It easily fits a 52mm. If the gauge you buy is a bit loose, try using a couple of layers of regular electrical tape.

Good luck with the new car.
-Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts