Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just got my supra, and that's awesome, becuase I've wanted one forever. It's a 1987 Turbo, and now I'm wondering what I can do to get started? I don't have tons of money yet, and I don't know what my priorities should be. I just put the car away for the winter, and now I want to get cracking, but I need direction, if anyone can suggest a place to get started, I'd greatly appreciate it, also, What does everyone think of the HKS Sport Turbo Exhaust (D2 Tips)? I was thinking of getting one, but I want a little input. Thanks for the help guys.

Deep_Blue

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
sell it and get the hell off these forums... nah im kiddin man. 1st and most important, head gasket, you will learn more later if you already don't know...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, HG ios ort of what I was thinking would have to be the first, and it's not like it's expensive or anything. I've already been challenged to race a few times, but I will most likely turn everyone down until I get that head gasket. I'm still waffling over whther to get it machined at the same time (It hasn't blown yet, still factory machined) and also over whther to get the ARP head bolts or not. This is my first post, thanks for the welcoming committee.

Deep_Blue

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I just waited till mine blew (a whopping 2 weeks after I bought the car :rolleyes: ). But you will most likely still have to resurface the head and/or block if the head gasket didn't blow. Least it is definatley a good idea too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, might as well get the best seal, and I have a lot of good shops up here to choose from, and If I'm going to get it done, might as well get it right. I also want to shave my antenna, because whoever put in the sony deck I have did a crappy job and caused the antenna to short out, so I figure Off with it's head, and I think I'll relocate it to the A-frame to see if it works there. They take of 1mm off the head and the block when they machine, so unless I want to mess with my compression ratio (which I don't think I do) I'll get the HKS 1.2 mm gasket. Hahaha! I feel like a kid in a candy store with a new car like this!

Deep_Blue

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I'd wait till you have the head off and milled, so you know for sure what size best fits the application, you never know for sure!!

G

·
WOAH, don't listen to em man, they are just being tricksy, what you should really do it, put 5 washers in your wastegate, take your exhaust all the way off from the turbo elbow, do the sogi poor man's fipk and boost like a mofo......yeah....greatest month of my life....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Deep_Blue said:
They take of 1mm off the head and the block when they machine, so unless I want to mess with my compression ratio (which I don't think I do) I'll get the HKS 1.2 mm gasket. Hahaha! I feel like a kid in a candy store with a new car like this!

Deep_Blue
The stock head gasket size is 1.2mm iirc, so if they take off a millimeter (yikes, btw) you would need a larger gasket.

Don't even think twice about ARPs too. Just get em, they aren't expensive and are VERY important.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Even if the stock HG is 1.2 (which I think is a little off, could be wrong), the stock one will compress, whereas a metal one won't. 1.2mm MHG should do the job, but it will depend on how much they have to take off via machining. If the gasket hasn't blown yet, it shouldn't be much, but the block/head should be like mirror smooth before using an MHG.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
okay (don't mind me), lol.

well then, i'd probably go with a 1.3mm MHG. (I'd have to look at my reciept to remember what I went with, lol)

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I didn't mean he should do that first, just that it will need to be done eventually, and that it is important. Personally I would wait till it blew, but not spend that much on mods cause the MHG job takes quite a bit of cash :)

G

·
Y should take care to make sure the HG isn't already blow. If it's certainly good, then I would ensure the cooling system is in 100% working order.

After that, get a turbo back (including the elbow)exhaust, and have it wrapped to keep the tempurates underhood as reasonable as possible - a great product would be the becauseican turbo-back downpipe. Once you've got that, get a cat back and a K&N or like filter and Cold Air Intake.

At this point, you should be to get a Boost Controller, put it to 10-12PSI (just under Fuel Cut) and you're good to go for 300+RWHP.

After this, teh HG may become an issue - just ensure a fully functional cooling system, and FULL oil, and you'll be happy!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay! Finally got back on! Just wanted to say that I appreciate all the info! The one concern I had was that going with a Downpipe and cat back exhaust might lead to boost creep. Any comments?

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got my Supra! Now what?!?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start saving every spare penny that comes your way...you're gonna need it, esp if you mod.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
You can take your stock piece elbow, and have it ported out... or buy one. then get a ss downpipe, and have a modified electric cut-out installed on it...

hehehe, yes than get the washers in your actuator. :) Do some bpu mods before really getting high boost. (filter, strong bov, no-exhaust)

I think you'll be happy...

Check for symptoms of BHG before though.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
like everyone says you definately need to get a MHG otherwise youll be refixing the same problem constantly. and when you get the mhg get the ARP bolts too, they are a must have when doing this kind of work. and this should be the absolute first thing you do to the car, unless it doesnt run or something haha, like mine haha *well i have it running now, just finishing up the electrical work... who woulda thought 3 1/2 feet of water in the supra for 2 months would cause any damage?*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts