Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Me
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I've been on these forums for a while but just picked up a 5 speed 87 turbo supra yesterday. I have a few questions.The guy before me replaced the head gasket with a toyota replacement one and got the head remilled. I was wondering if I switched to a MHG, will I have to get the head milled again? And also, How hard is it to replace the intercooler? Will I have to take off the whole front end?

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
1: You will need to check the head and see if its warped, if it hasnt overheated and it is fresh it should be fine.
2: The intercooler is easy few screws holding it on, you will need to take off the front bumper and i find it easy to take off the nose also... again just a few screws. I could do an intercooler swap in less than an hour.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
selz202 said:
1: You will need to check the head and see if its warped, if it hasnt overheated and it is fresh it should be fine.
2: The intercooler is easy few screws holding it on, you will need to take off the front bumper and i find it easy to take off the nose also... again just a few screws. I could do an intercooler swap in less than an hour.

I was actually able to remove my old i/c and install the horsepower freaks kit without removal of the front bumper... i did remove the passanger side inner fender liner to snake the i/c pipe up though

·
Me
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, just started to try and take off the front bumper and it is becoming a pain in the ass. am I overcomplicating this? I'm used to honda bumpers that come off in 3 seconds.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Yah it could be done that way... im just going by the first time i did it, i couldnt see shit and couldnt jack the car up high enough.

Btw if you need anything new toyota, the absolute best guys to deal with and best prices will be our two toyota sponsors here. I swear half you guys arent aware of how much cheaper they are and how knowledgable about supras too.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
There are screws all along the top part of it, screws from the wheel well, and there should be two braces on the bottom, one on each side. Then the fog lights obviously, if i remember right that should be all.

·
Me
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I think im not gonna bother taking the bumper off. Ill take out the wheel well to get to the pipes though. thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts