Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, they are very nice. (Thanks Jeff)

One observation I have is that people always wonder wether or not they will pick up better times at the track by removing the passenger side headlight. With the Euros, I think you definitely will. (Because they weigh 1000lbs.) :p

But really, I noticed that they have an electronic leveling thing. I know I've read about this in the past, but can someone explain to me about hooking this up and if it is worthwhile to do so.

And second, has anyone ever been stupid/smart enough to try and open the Euro lights in an oven like you can on the US Spec one? They look to be of the same construction, I'd just be worried about the glass cracking, if the plastic can take it, then I'm sure the glass can.

Thanks for any input.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
i remember someone did a write-up for installing the wiring and control for the electronic leveler on the euro-spec headlamps. i read it on www.mkiv.com. hopefully, it'll be up soon so you can check it out.

got a couple a questions for you ryan. approximately how much do they weigh? if you installed them already, how is the lighting with your HIDs?

thanks.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I remember that there was a tech article there, but obviously I can't access it right now.

The package weighed 26lbs. so I'd guess they each weigh around 10lbs. :eek: I still have them in my entryway, but will likely install them this weekend. Judging from the color/opacity of the projector lense, I think that the HID's will look much better through these.

Anyone else with experience, please give your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ryan, check you email. I just sent you a huge email with some pics describing all of the euro headlight wiring.

Have fun,

Chad H.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Dimitri K. is in process of putting together a plug and play kit for the auto leveler function... I've been in contact with him and he can be contacted at www.directedengineering.com about the kit.. He knows all the connectors and everything for a neat OEM install.... Hope this helps...

Z

·
0 Posts
wwhen my friend hooked up the Euro light in his 94, we noticed the head light are dimmer....then we realize there was this piece of metal that's blocking half of the light beam. anyway, he took that plate out and now its bright as hell. what electronic level thing?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Zerosoul said:
wwhen my friend hooked up the Euro light in his 94, we noticed the head light are dimmer....then we realize there was this piece of metal that's blocking half of the light beam. anyway, he took that plate out and now its bright as hell. what electronic level thing?
That metal piece is there to aim the beam. By taking it out, you've created the equivalent of a high beam because the light doesn't cutoff below eye level of oncoming drivers. I'm guessing your friend gets flashed a lot by oncoming traffic. Mine were aimed pretty low out of the box. You can raise or lower the light cutoff by rotating the white plastic screw with an 8 mm wrench, or wire up the motor and do it electronically. I had almost forgotten how good e-code lights are after not having them for many years.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chad,

Thanks a bunch. As I replied in my email, I'll mess with this at a later date, but Jeff Watson is trying to get his hands on the OEM switches, so I'm going to wait a while.

Jay,

Legality in Cali? Modifying your headlights one bit is illegal. But these are not "Aftermarket" headlights, they are OEM from Toyota for the European market, they just haven't been tested for DOT approval. No cop is going to be able to tell that anything is not kosher with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RSA Supra said:
Chad,

Thanks a bunch. As I replied in my email, I'll mess with this at a later date, but Jeff Watson is trying to get his hands on the OEM switches, so I'm going to wait a while.
Ryan, no problem, glad I could help. Hey, let me know if Jeff comes up with the OEM switch, Like I told you in the email, I have all of the parts to do the install I just haven't done it yet. I'd much rather use the OEM switch if possible.

Thanks man,

Chad H.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
nope:(
3RDCHIRP said:
Do they make a '98 style Euro Glass Headlight?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts