Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the HKS SQV BOV mounted in the stock bov location and i already ran the car for about 15 miles. No stalling issues what so ever. Idle is the same just as if the stock bov was not removed. It was a simple installation and took about 20 minutes. Car is BPU running without a VPC or AFC.
I installed the BOV exactly as the instructions stated. I noticed the bov does not vent out the air until i have atleast boosted up to 7-10psi. Is this normal? I remember on my friends mkiii, it would vent out between shifts.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Do you mean if you let off the throttle you dont hear anything until above 7-10psi??? Hell for me I can hear it even in slight vaccum when i let off. Is your car a 6speed, auto? That doesnt seem right, or maybe you are hard of hearing. :p

Alex

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
The spring shouldnt be too tight. You arent even supposed to touch that thing.

Is it a brand new one or did you buy it off someone? If its used then it could be too tight.

·
Registered
952 Posts
yeah is it new or old...the new one won't have the adjusting screw in the back., I installed a univeral HKS SSQ to the intercooler pipe and it didn't have the screw in the back to adjust it.

My friend who has the same setup as me, he has the old one with the screw adjustment and his bov is really damn loud whereas my it isn't as loud as his. I'm thinking its cause he messed around with the screw. We both have it in the same location. Take some picture of it if you can.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have some pics up by tomorrow, The BOV is new, i had to unwrap the whole thing and cut the bag open in order to get to the hoses moutns and the bov. THere is an adjustment screw in the back, i dunno if its on too tight or not but i have had many members tell me not to mess with the screw. My car is a 6speed and it will only go off when i boost hard. If im driving regularly and shifting between 3-4k rpms, then it doesnt vent out air, even if i let off the gas. I dunno if it makes sense that its not venting out considering at these rpms, the boost is not even at 0 psi. It's when i step on it and boost between 7-10psi thats when you can hear the boost building up and venting out.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
hrmm thats odd. yeah you shouldnt mess with that screw though. mine is loud as shit, and i hear it ALL the time. I also assume you have all the hoses connected properly cause you cant really install it wrong easily. I know that if i remove that small line I only hear a whoosh of air at moderate boost, and not much else any other time.

Alex

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can hear my BOV its defiitely loud, my problem is that im not sure if its normal for it only to release air when i boost up to 7-10psi. When i am driving normally shifting at 3-4k, the bov will not release and air even when i let off the gas. It only works and it is pretty loud when i boost up to 7-10psi.

·
Registered
382 Posts
yup i'm in the same boat...i have to boosting a lot to hear it but when i do, its loud. Maybe it has to do with the vacumm line...not big or too small...not sure.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
The HKS SSQV is a pull type so you need a strong vacuum source. I had the same problem... and also the 'fluttering' sound... I found a stronger vacuum source and that fixed it.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
You do need to adjust that screw... And can.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that the screw will litterally let a portion of the valve come apart.. And its sopposed to do that.

So HKS says, you might have to adjust that. Loosening it will NOT cause it to leak, well unless you turn it too far out and it comes apart. :]

don't be afriad to loosen it, thats why its there.

On a clients GTP, the prototype turbo kit, at first the BOV was very loud, but as we added things, it would flutter, even connected to the same source as our Boost/vac gauge, and with the stock cam, letting off of throttle we would get about 21-22 inches of vacuum. That would still cause it to flutter.

so we loosened it a bit, back to normal.

It didn't take much!

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
crazysupratt said:
what vacuum source did you use? picture would help :)
I never got pictures of the setup before I took it off my car. I used the nipple off of the intake manifold (2JZGE NA-T)... used the shortest hose I could. Worked out great. :)

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Yeah Intake manifold would be the best source. Once that TP closes, you will have about .1 seconds worth of useable pressurized air in the manifold. Well actually less for you guys, the stock intake manifold is only like 1.8 liters right?
So more like .05 seconds or so...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to plug the stock return port in the intake? I had a SSQV on my R/T TT and had to use a D battery until I could have a aluminum disc fabbed up. lol Total ghetto, but it worked. Just wondering what I should use once I finally get another one since I'm not crazy about the Blitz mine came with.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
LOL Was it an Ever ready? If its not the cat with the lightning bolt then take it out, it will harm your car.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
No kidding, where do you guys keep hearing that you shouldn't adjust the SSQ's bolt? That only adjusts the spring tension. If HKS didn't want you to mess with it, it wouldn't be adjustable. I adjusted mine after installing it on my Shelby CSX. I actually tightened it up to keep it better closed when first spooling the turbo.

On my car, it will vent, but only when the boost gauge swings positive, and it needs about 5 psi to be heard semi-loudly. I can boost up to 5 psi and shift without it venting too. If you level out the engine RPMs before shifting, the turbo will slow it's spool and there won't be enough pressure to vent. A sudden throttle close will do it though. It depends on your foot.

·
Registered
952 Posts
dusty at mvpmotorsport told me that HKS is going away with the screw adjustment hence the reason my HKS bov doesn't have a adjustment anymore. HKS told dusty that its because its prone to leak at the screw area from people adjusting it too often or something like that. The box that the HKS came in say something about automatic idle control...kinda weird. I'll take a look at the box later on tonight and post up the exact reading on the box.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts