Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me introduce myself,

My name is Josh, I have been working full time the last 9 months to get a car I really want. For a while I was into modding rx7's then I moved onto hondas ( NOT RICEY! ) and now I can finally afford my dream car that ever since I was 11 I have wanted. I am turning 19 in july, I started working on hondas and rx7's (mainly my friends) out of my garage at 13 years old. I know its sounds hard to beleive but if you came by my garage you would beleive it. I do work at a shop now that does mainly Honda/Acura/Nissan. Now onto the supra

OK well im pretty much picking up a supra this saturday ( 94 blk TT 6spd ), but im stilling thinking about the compression numbers. I took them when the motor was cold and my numbers were from front to back

The 168 number is buggin me, I know this well within normal variance on cars but, I'm just concerned if this will be having problems in the future. Could the motor already be having problems? The car has 95k miles and but this owner it has been nothing but babied - 4600 miles in 28 months. But i am unsure of the other 2 owners, but the guy im buying from a 35 yr/old doctor and only did 2 mods to it; intake and downpipe. But on the upside it had the valve stems seals replaced and pretty much every thing at 90k too. (clutch / flywheel / timing belt / valve stems seals/ pcv valve/ :blah: :blah: and a bunch of other stuff that i cant remember) Also another thing, the clips for the coil packs were really beat up, like someone broke them when they removed the coil packs for spark plug changes...... is there anywhere I can pick up the connectors and solder the new ones on? thanks alot guys

PS- Im glad i can finally say that i own a supra that i got with all my own hard work..... no payments from mom and dad. This is my car! AND I NEED TO CHANGE MY NAME! thanks guys

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is it 168 on #2 or #5? I wouldn't be worried thats not very far off.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Numbers are actually a little higher than normal. I suppose the down side to this is knock sensitivity, but the motor should last a long time.

Hard to believe you got those when it was cold. They usually go up significantly when the car is at operating temp.

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup the numbers where when It was cold, he drove the car from his garage to the curb and i checked the compression about 2 hours after that. I see most guys get around 155-170, When I got 180 on the first cylinder after 6 cranks I assumed 180 was perfect

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW the number listing is from front to back, if you where stand in front of the car

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
As others said you probably have some carbon build up inflating the numbers. 156 psi or greater is the spec so you shouldn't be too concerned. The variation looks fine. It would be great if it was a little tighter on that one cylinder but no big deal. Enjoy the car.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Try to get a compression check with the engine warm, it does matter.

Curt Aigner can hook you up with new coil packs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
wow.....all of mine shot lower then that and mine only has 50,000 KM on it....

dry test everything was 135-145, Toyota supra tech manual said anything within 14 psi was normal

wet test, 140 for all 6. with the car only running when it got driven into the dealership also right before spring, snow was just melting.

94' blk, tt, 6spd.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine were
? - couldn't get a reading, couldn't get the gauge tightened in there good
done while hot

93, tt, auto 260,000 miles and still running
last one is low so i am currently on the hunt for a new long block. let me know if you got one

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
The numbers look good. All cylinders are over 152 and the max variance isnt over 15psi.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Mine

I guess I got carbon build up.. how to clean it up is the real question.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
G said:
A compression check is useless.

No it isn't, it just tells you what is sort of happening with your engine. It doesn't diagnose exactly whats wrong, but its not completely useless either. A leakdown test is much better, but for the ease of doing a compression check, why not :dunno:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
When mine tested cold I got around the 130s, I had to do the test myself and then got 165-170 all around. Did you do the tests yourself or were you present for them. Something seems fishy. Even with carbon buildup those seem very high for a cold engine.

Yuri

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
Evolutionist said:
Mine

I guess I got carbon build up.. how to clean it up is the real question.

:run: :run: :run: :run: :run:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ascari_2 said:
When mine tested cold I got around the 130s, I had to do the test myself and then got 165-170 ass around. Did you do the tests yourself or were you present for them. Something seems fishy. Even with carbon buildup those seem very high for a cold engine.

Yuri

Im with this guy.....thats way to high for a cold engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts