Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wtf: I just got my mk4 n/a wheels on, and I'm very disappointed. The rear wheels are 16x9 with a measely 245/45/16's on them. Now, when you calculate tire size, the 245/45/15 is almost as big as the stock 225/50/16's (on the front 16x8's). However, once it's stretched over the 9 inch rim, the diameter is MUCH smaller. It makes the rear wheels look like 15". Not to mention they're all stretched, and it looks like some retarded "dorifto" car. So now it looks fugly and my gas mileage is gonna go to shit (it's my daily) I figured I could put some 265/45/16's, and it would even it out, but the only tires available are competition tires. Anyone got any ideas for tire sizes. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to trade these for some 16x8's.

Christian

·
7M Love
735 Posts
kinda odd..
My friend with a 91 mr2 was talking about getting NA mkIV rims and small tires so that the rolling diameter would be the same. Do you have any pics of them?

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the crappy night shots:

Heres the car. You can tell the rears look really funny. Look small and like the rim is doubling over the tire:

Here's a shot of the fronts. Looks normal, you can see sidewall on the bottom:

Here's the rear. You can see the sidewall on top is skinny, and on the bottom all you see is rim protector:

Does anyone else think it looks funny?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
HOLY 4X4, + NA's look funny to begin with, but if done right they look HOT :) aight peace :chicken:

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
a lot of it depends on the tire itself. diff brands have diff shaped side walls. here is a pic of dave's mk3 w/ na wheels.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,463 Posts
maybe i SHOULD have sold you my TT rims :lol: ..

but yeah, just get some new tires and drop the car...

-mike

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MaliCali said:
maybe i SHOULD have sold you my TT rims :lol: ..
You don't say.... :fawk: :p

SlimFastSupra said:
245 on X9 rims is yucky

at least 255 if not 265s...

quit screwing around and buy my rims....
Thats the problem, anything wider is either too tall (50 series plus, and rare at that) or just non existent in 16". I don't want to "experiment" with the 245/45 tires to find one that has a sidewall design that would work, as that gets expensive. Not to mention I won't sacrifice mileage for it. Looks like it's off to the norcal section to see if anyone wants to trade.....

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dbsupra said:
a lot of it depends on the tire itself. diff brands have diff shaped side walls. here is a pic of dave's mk3 w/ na wheels.

Hmm....that rear tire looks to be WAY different than mine. I don't think just the sidewall design would make such an extreme difference. You sure those are 16x9 rims back there with 245/45 tires??

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Racefiend said:
Sorry for the crappy night shots:

Heres the car. You can tell the rears look really funny. Look small and like the rim is doubling over the tire:

Does anyone else think it looks funny?
:lol: holy shit that does look funny!!! hahha it looks like a radio flyer wheel on a big rig hahahahahaha :lol: sorry for ur bad luck man..thanks for the comic relief.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Racefiend said:
Thats the problem, anything wider is either too tall (50 series plus, and rare at that) or just non existent in 16".
Yeah I have the same problem with my RX-7 wheels. Not any choices after 245/45.

However on your car I think the stock N/A MKIV had 245/50 rears. That may be your problem.

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MattOneDime said:

Its all in DA TYRES!

Aight peace :)
Please elaborate.... :)

SupraKirk said:
However on your car I think the stock N/A MKIV had 245/50 rears. That may be your problem.
You know what, you're right! I wonder why the PO put 45 series on? So is that what you ran in that pic Matt?? 245/50's?

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so say I got some 245/50's, in the same tire as whats on there right now (BFG KDW's). Since the tread is the same width, will it still look stretched, just with a little taller sidewall?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol why does everyone with mkiv n/a rims not have centercaps on. and yeah your car does look kinda funny. I would have saved up for mkiv tt rims instead. But i have seen some mkiv n/a rims that look very good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts