Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/R is .50. That means I'll have less lag, but less power, right ?

Any tips on the install ? What else I should do at the same time. Right now I'm at pretty much straight BPU level, with downpipe, exhaust, intake, AVC-R and BCC.

What's a typical installation cost like ? I'm in the Bay Area..

TIA! The two turbos look mean! :D

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Well, if you pull the intake mani off, do the fuel system at the same time.

I don't see the sense in running those twins if you aren't going to sport a fuel system.

Actually, that'd fucking scare me to run those turbos on stock fuel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I think my A/R is .73. The exhaust side is .73, and the intake side is .50 ( or is it 50 )

How bad the lag is going to be ?

What fuel system would you recommend ?

Thanks! Can't wait to get this kit installed.

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Are you sure that the A/R is 50? You might be referring to the compressor side, which is 52T. The A/R for the turbine should be .73.

Install isnt too bad, but a bit more involved than a single turbo kit

Lag isnt too bad as long as the tuning is done well. Full boost should be at about low to mid 4000 rpm.

Fuel wise, 680cc+ injectors, fuel rail, pump, FPR are the neccesitties

Good Luck and Have fun!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you're right. The A/R for the turbine side is .73.

I have heard that the lag is pretty bad for a turbo this size. What kind of tuning is needed to bring the lag down ?

Thanks for the help. BTW, I have tried searching for "2835", but the information are scattered all over the place, and I can't seem find a post on how to reduce the lag...

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
You can get the smaller optional turbine housings, .61. they will increase spool up -PN 1141-RA007

With HKS' new F-CON S coming out, it will be able to not only adjust fuel settingsm but also ignition timing.

Where in the Bay Area are you thinking about having do the install?

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Lurker said:
Yes, you're right. The A/R for the turbine side is .73.

I have heard that the lag is pretty bad for a turbo this size. What kind of tuning is needed to bring the lag down ?

Thanks for the help. BTW, I have tried searching for "2835", but the information are scattered all over the place, and I can't seem find a post on how to reduce the lag...
worry about the intsall first, and the lag later...once you punch it for the first time all these ideas and things you hear about lag will be forgotten, i promise.

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Very well put!

I must agree with it whole heartedly.

With my T04R on my old supra....

and with stock twins on my new 97...

I must say, the response on the stock twins is great...boost in really low rpms...

But the powerband of a single or twin kit will definately make you either forget or make the lag acceptable.

Just my $0.02

Will

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response.

I'll start by researching for the fuel system..
For FMIC, I think I'm going to get the the Greddy 3-row..

·
Registered
30 Posts
When is the F-CON S coming out? Sounds like it will be like the Greddy E-Manage, Greddy says the E-Manage might not work w/ a VPC will the F-CON be able to?

Jza8shwoff said:
You can get the smaller optional turbine housings, .61. they will increase spool up -PN 1141-RA007

With HKS' new F-CON S coming out, it will be able to not only adjust fuel settingsm but also ignition timing.

Where in the Bay Area are you thinking about having do the install?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Jza8shwoff:

I'm thinking about either Bruce Nomura or SP engineering in southern cal. Bruce Nomura would be closer.. But, I haven't asked him how much it would cost.

SP-Engineering is pretty expensive, moreover I'd have to drive down to southern Cal.. not really big deal.. will just have to take some vacation days to do that.

Please let me know if you know other good shops in Bay area for turbo install on supra.

Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lurker..
if you dont mind me asking..how much didyou pay for the kit??

and as far as fuel goes...you really need one...
Try the SP kit...or even Angel..heard he's having one soon.

you might want to give him a call.

Are you doing any other internal mods?? camshaft..cam gears??
what about electronic wise??

please tell me your setup...

TIA

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
When is the F-CON S coming out? Sounds like it will be like the Greddy E-Manage, Greddy says the E-Manage might not work w/ a VPC will the F-CON be able to?
The F-CON S is currently available via HKS Pro Dealers. Pre-programmed units will be available shortly. Heres the links to more info and a list of current HKS Pro Dealers:

http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1069

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=677

To be honest, its way more than what the Greddy E-Manage is. The F-CON S is a piggy-back system that features standalone capabilities with Fuel curves and Ignition curves. In some degree its above a VPC per say. With the optional Pressure sensor, it will do what the VPC does for fuel now, but with integrated ignition timing control. Theres a lot more to it that is on the website and more that hasnt been released yet...

Let me know if you have any questions and I will see what I can answer.

I'm thinking about either Bruce Nomura or SP engineering in southern cal. Bruce Nomura would be closer.. But, I haven't asked him how much it would cost.
I know both Bruce and SP and they are both very capable and I would not have second thoughts about there work at all. Cant go wrong either way.

SP-Engineering is pretty expensive, moreover I'd have to drive down to southern Cal.. not really big deal.. will just have to take some vacation days to do that.
SP E is a place that you get what you pay for. For things that I dont do myself or at work on my cars, I have it done at SP - Just a sign of my faith in them =) - Like I said before..cant go wrong either way, I just have more personal experience with SP since I have lived in southern ca for the past few years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lurker, have you thought of taking your car to
Motorsport Dynamics Sacramento, CA (916) 648-8000
That's where I take my car to, they're the only ones I trust with my baby. They have been around for a long time now and are very reputable company to deal with. If you want to have your turbo installed there, your going to probably have to wait awhile, because they're usually booked up. But, they also have a mobile dyno at their shop, so after you have your turbo kit installed, you can have it dynoed. Call them up, tell them Shawn Kim referred you. I'm actually going to have them install my HKS TO4R turbo kit pretty soon, in fact by the end of this month I should have it on. I'm thinking of getting Angel's fuel kit, since the price is great and I heard it's better than the Sound Performance one.

Check out their website, although it's under construction.
www.motdyn.com

-Shawn

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
I'm no pro shop, but I have built some mean Celicas and Supras if you want to work on it together. We can work out some rates. You might want to think out the whole project before you get started though. There are some installs that would be much easier and cheaper for you if you did it all at once.

You also might want to think about a new clutch as well. I'm in the North Bay. If you need parts, I have the ultimate (close to) wholesale connection.

I have heard nothing but good things about Henry at Motodyne. Unfortunately when things like that happen, it makes a long time to get in line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts