Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i replaced the clutch etc..flywheel and bolted everything up and got everything ready...oil reconnected battery...and my car won't start....Just makes a click

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Push start it! It is good exercise anyway, I don't know why the hell they put electric starters on cars with manual transmissions.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
make sure you reattached the ground wire from the trans bellhousing to the chassis. Also make sure the brown connector is plugged into the starter

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Did you disconnect the starter wire? I don't mean to offend, but you've asked an incredibly vague question. Nobody here is going to be able to help you without some more information. Do the accessories turn on and it just doesn't turn over or what? See if you can't locate a supraforums member in your areas who can come by and help you out.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, yeah, we grounded that wire coming from the chassis to the bellhousing....pretty sure it's properly grounded etc...also there was a little brown wire that wasn't connected to anything so there was a spot for it on the starter so we plugged it in. Also on one of the wires there is a connector that we couldn't find any loose wire to connect into it...I'll have to take pics....someone just tell me what i should check over...All the accesories etc....turn on and all the stuff works it's just it won't crank, it just clicks

·
I'm rich bitch.
653 Posts
Sounds like the starter was not hooked back up correctly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
man, i would seriously try push starting it. maybe something is stuck and your starter is trying to crank the engine but can't. try dumping the clutch from a quick roll and see what happens, see if anything loosens up. it happened on my clutch install, except it wouldn't disengage from the tranny so it wouldn't go into gear. i just needed to put some muscle into it and give it a good power shift and it jumped into place and worked perfectly. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, sweet...i didn't know what he meant...lol....thought u meant press the ~invisible~ start button lol. Yeah, ill have to bleed out my brakes and then get the wheels back on...Thanks...:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
1. Try moving the engine by hand (just turn the pulley a bit) to ensure nothing got stuck.
2. Check the battery! Mine didn't start one time, just clicked, and it was a dry battery!
3. Check the wires on the starter and tranny.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many wires total are there that i need to check? There was 1 ground on the back of the tranny that i didn't know where to ground it so i just put under one of the cross member bolts... Ill go take some pics....im gonna get it to start....i don't want to take it off the jack stands and figure out it's one of the grounds or something...lol

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
there are 2 grounds on the tranny, one at the rear of it that DOES ground to the chassis via the cross member bolts. the other is the one at the bellhousing which grounds near the clutch line bracket.

you also have a rear speed sensor wish is a square 4-pin plug, on the driverside rear of the tranny.

there is also a backup light switch, which comes from the passengerside of teh tranny, up and over to the driverside of the trannya nd forward to the engine.

then, the starter; a single-wire/brown plug for the solenoid. then the battery cable.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, i checked the wires...looks ok i guess...But i turned the crank by hand and it turned just fine....Will that mess anything up??? take it out of timing or something??? but i took some pics....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
that brown one looks like the starter signal wire... but 89+ connectors may be a little different. there should be one thick wire coming from your starter and one small one. that's about all i can say without being there.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so i charged the battery and the car wouldn't start. So i poped the clutch and drove it until it warmed up. Oh, and before i replaced the clutch i put in a new o2 sensor. Ok, so the things i noticed. I smelt like the clutch burning while i was driving it. I drove it very easy. Nothing over 2000 rpm, the car used to idle at 700rpm. I noticed even after it warmed up the revs were idling at 1200 rpm and my speedometer didn't work. And The car still won't start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
are you sure the clutch is in right you didn't put the clutch in right way and also im not sure but ck your cps sensor i had the same thing happen but it was on a m3

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here are a bunch of new pics so you can guy's can verify everything...

I had the brown wire plugged in but it doesn't go in all the way...I'll have to figure something out...Oh and when i try to start the car i hear a click coming from the glove compartment...maybe ecu?

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Sounds like you're not getting a good connection on the brown plug (that's your starter signal) The click you're hearing is the relay for the starter. There need to be two wires hooked up to the starter for it to work. One is that brown plug. The other is a thick cable from the positive terminal on the battery to the stud/nut on the starter. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, i cleaned the female and male connection on the brown wire...now the car starts...before all this i was gettin' code 42- vehicle speed sensor, and code 43-starter signal. Now i have no codes....My speedometer still doesn't work..it's up on jack stands and i just tested to see if it would work...it didn't ....only revs.....should that make a difference ? on jack stands or on the ground?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts