Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. I'm an active lurker on this forum, and others, soaking up info that has helped me tremendously on my build.
1.5JZVVTi ~650hp

But this isn't about my motor, it's about the cooling system. The fan blade and fan clutch to be exact.

I live near Willow Springs in California, and 110 degree weather is common, very dry, and lately the whole state has been on fire. That being said, a clutch fan has NEVER let me down, even with hard pulls through 5th gear. Until recently. My fan blade locked up like it's supposed to, to pull in more air and it said HELLO to my Mishimoto radiator. Destroyed 4 of the columns and coolant spewed everywhere. Had to tow the car to my shop.

I searched the threads and I came across the common 2jz water pump/2jz clutch fan and 2jz GE fan blade/trim method. I did just that, and it clears the waterneck but as you have already read, that setup destroyed my Mishimoto radiator. The next idea was the 7M fan clutch and 10 blade fan blade (trust me it fits, just need 1 washer between the fan clutch and pulley) it clears the water neck beautifully, but the distance from the radiator to the fan blade is the same as the 2jz GE fan blade setup.

So after hours of research last night I came across a solution I want this whole forum to see and read. Because either it's gonna work, or everyone is going to laugh at me. I don't care. Because I have FAITH. I'm not gonna destroy another Radiator.

Introducing the 1994-2020 2.7L Toyota Tacoma Fan blade. This fan blade fits on the 7MGTE fan clutch. Clears the water neck, and has almost an inch of clearance from the Mishimoto Radiator.
In order for the 7M fan clutch to work on a 2JZ water pump, you need to place 4 flat washers between the flange, and pulley. This is because the cone shape design on the 2JZ waterpump is slightly different and doesn't let it sit all the way flush. Luckily the center part that looks like a cylinder is the same and centers the fan clutch perfectly for you. In this photo you will see what I mean.
Pretend my dirty table is the pulley:

7M Clutch/Blade vs 2J Clutch/Blade(trim):

7M vs 2J Height difference. Basically equal:

7M vs 2J(trimmed) Water neck clearance:

Introducing the 1994-2020 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 7 fin fan blade. (Dont know if the 3.4L fan blade dimensions are different.)
7M fan clutch w/Tacoma blade vs 2J:

7M fan clutch w/Tacoma blade vs 2J (trim) waterneck clearance:

Here is a close up of the fan clutch mounted to the pulley. You will see I have the washers behind the flange, allowing for a correct and flush fitment:

Here is the waterneck clearance, a little over a quarter of an inch. About the same of the trimmed 2JGE fan blade.
7M fan cutch w/Tacoma blade:

Here is the clearance from the blade to my Mishimoto Radiator. It is a little under an inch of clearance.
7M fan clutch w/Tacoma blade radiator clearance:

I also was able to remove the fan clutch assembly with the fan blade attached with a little bit of room! So that's awesome news. No more having to dump your coolant and remove your Radiator to replace the fan blade, or fan clutch.

I will be testing this system to its fullest within the next week. So please hold any nasty comments until then, I have no problem coming back and saying I have failed and it was a mistake. I'll be boosting, in traffic, launching. Everything. I'ma try to make this bad boy over heat, and if fail, then I have won.

Thanks fellow car enthusiasts for your time.

-Julio

·
Super Moderator
11,197 Posts
Great find! Looking forward to your impressions and results!

Reactions: Wholeo1986

·
Registered
99 Posts
It looks like Toyota has had this fan on the Tacoma 2.7 since its inception in 1995
and had the same blade on the T100 2.7 in 1994-1998. Looks promising if it can pull the same amount of air to keep things cool.
I went through a couple of fans blowing up on my Koyo with my 1JZ but the issue was speed bumps and motor mounts so my fan hit the shroud about 8 years ago and everything blew apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great find! Looking forward to your impressions and results!
Thanks! I don't know how to add this to my original post, so I'll just respond to you and hopefully it stays??? Anyways...

So first impressions.

Looks normal. I mean if you aren't a Supra owner you couldn't tell the difference. This fan is a tiny bit smaller in diameter, about 1/2in. That being said, it pulls as much air as the 7M fan blade, if not more.

7M clutch fan w/Tacoma fan blade and OEM 87 shroud:

Here's a closer photo of the fan blade enclosed by the shroud. Sits about 1/2in away from the shroud, this allowed me to leave the shroud UNMODIFIED! If you were like me, with a big radiator and a 2J fan blade, you might have trimmed the shroud to prevent the fan blade from hitting. Looks like that will be a thing of the past!!

Last photo of the night, is of it running. Not much to look at but a blurry fan in motion but I will say this. It is a lot quiter than I expected. I didn't expect it to be quiter than the 2J fan and it is. Honestly I put it right next to the 7M fan in terms of sound level. And it's buttery smooth! Since the find haven't been trimmed like my other fan blade, it is not off balance, sending vibrations through my car when locked up.

ALSO!!

This shroud has one opening on the top left for the Aux/AC/Condensor fan. Whatever you want to call it. That 7 1/2in hole is what I'm talking about. I have left that empty for now. Plan is to run an electric fan there later on and wire it to my Haltech ECU. Till then the car will be ran with this hole open, and only assisted by the Clutch fan.

This is the ultimate test I believe, as I do understand that open hole portion will not be getting air pulled through by the clutch fan because of the plastic separator between these two parts.

Just sit back and enjoy, this is either gonna end up being a great thing, or me in tears. I will keep you posted with frequent and future updates.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright guys. About a week has passed and I've put it through hell. And it's made it back!

First test was highway speeds, 80mph+ and my temps never got more than 94C. Or 201F. That seemed to be the highest temp I saw.

Second test was after a few pulls on the highway, I did what nobody should ever do. I pulled into a 15 car long line in a Starbucks drive through, in 102* heat with my windows up and AC blasting.

Car got up to 92C. Or 198F. And stayed there. When the clutch fan engages, it's very quite. Honestly you don't notice it until you give it a little throttle and then you can hear a not so loud tornado from under the hood.

This was my old shroud that got destroyed when the fan got spicy with my radiator. You can see that center piece of cardboard with aluminum lining in the middle that I used to cover up the hole. That worked fine!!

With that being said, I am looking into either filling that 7 1/2in hole on the left side with a Spal fan and wire it to the existing wiring from the AUX fan that once was there, or a toggle switch, or my ECU. Or doing exactly as I did last time and fill in the hole.

Problem is if I want to add an electric fan there, I need to relocate my battery and move my intercooler piping to allow room for the fan. Seems like another project. Not too hard but, we will see. Anybody here running an aftermarket electric fan??

I might just do it, for science.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Upper location on the shroud needs to be modified a bit to fit the fan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Upper location on the shroud needs to be modified a bit to fit the fan.

Man that is awesome! Thanks for the photos, they are a huge help. Now I'm definitely gonna go ahead and buy one.
How do you have them wired up?
I'll install it later this month and keep you guys up to date!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
They're wired in just like the factory A/C condenser fans are. The 7.5" SPALs actually have a lower current draw than the OEM e-fans so you can do the swap without any wiring other than the fan connectors, provided your wiring is in good shape.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 weeks now and no issues whatsoever. The temperatures are monitored closely on my Haltech ECU and they have never gone over 94 degrees Celsius (201F).

I'm talking cruising, I'm talking highway speeds, I'm talking airstrip speeds, I'm talking in Starbucks drive through with AC blasting. I'm talking canyon driving through Angelest Crest HWY.

This of course is with the Mishimoto Radiator that is larger and takes up more space than the OEM one.

I still plan on adding an auxilary fan to fill in the hole on the left side of the Fan Shroud. I will post photos of that also when it's time. I will relocate my Battery and intercooler piping to fit the fan 'comfortably'. I think this concludes my findings for this. I think 1jz guys can benefit from this. Not just 1jz swaps in mk3. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really glad I came across this thread, 10 blade fans are nonexistent but Tacoma's are a dime a dozen. Finalizing the cooling system on my 2JZ swap and I'm down to change the meta and try something different like this on my build. How is the set up doing now that you're several months in? Planning on running the DM modified LS400 clutch with this fan (Just trying to phase out 30+ year old parts that might get discontinued in the future).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just tried this setup with my build and it doesn’t work me. My build is with a 2jzgte vvti though. So maybe it only works with the 1JZ-GTE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fan blade was hitting the upper coolant hose because of the vvti bump. I might add some washers to shim the blade a little forward. The non vvti guy said should have no problem with this setup. There is a ton of shroud and water neck clearance.
Any more info than "it doesn't work" ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Really glad I came across this thread, 10 blade fans are nonexistent but Tacoma's are a dime a dozen. Finalizing the cooling system on my 2JZ swap and I'm down to change the meta and try something different like this on my build. How is the set up doing now that you're several months in? Planning on running the DM modified LS400 clutch with this fan (Just trying to phase out 30+ year old parts that might get discontinued in the future).
Hey did you ever try this on your setup with the DM LS400 clutch? Thanks

·
Professor Dickweed
276 Posts
The fan blade was hitting the upper coolant hose because of the vvti bump. I might add some washers to shim the blade a little forward. The non vvti guy said should have no problem with this setup. There is a ton of shroud and water neck clearance.
Ah I see, thanks. Are you using the aristo OEM upper hose w/ the bend in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey did you ever try this on your setup with the DM LS400 clutch? Thanks
Hey, I didn't get to using the LS400 fan clutch for this as I had heard of them blowing up on some people. Was going to use my 7m fan clutch but noticed it doesn't have the slots for the holes to allow for a larger water pump pcd. I'm guessing this is because I have an older 6 blade 7M fan blade and clutch. This is on a 2JZ VVTI with Dustin Gurley's coolant crossover pipe.

This is me holding it against the studs, not against the pulley face. Pretty much as close to the radiator as it gets.

Still holding it against the studs, and this is the amount of clearance I still have against the radiator.

This is how the pipe looks if anyone is wondering.

Plenty of room to spare towards the rad. Which will probably be needed since if the fan were to sit flush against the pulley it'd probably a little too close to the coolant pipe for comfort. I should be able to use spacers to distance the pulley from the water neck and still run this setup. Honestly probably going to cut slots for the holes since I don't want to spend more money on another fan clutch lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah I see, thanks. Are you using the aristo OEM upper hose w/ the bend in it?
I was using the non vvti upper hose and the blade wouldn’t clear that. I then bought the aristo hose, the fan clears ever so slightly, but it’s very tight between the vvti bump and fan shroud. I just learned of the Gurley radiator hose. I might just pull the trigger on that.

·
Life is BOOST
559 Posts
I’m glad I stumbled on this thread. It does payoff to check on good ol SF at times. I’ve been running Ford contour fans for a few years now with no issues, but always wanted to go back to a fan clutch set-up to reduce the load on electrical system. Any long term updates by any chance? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts