Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I have fixed everything on my supra except one thing before I can go to inspection and get this baby back on the road.

I have discovered something while checking out this code and that is :

If I reset the codes, I start the car and hold down the clutch, then there is no engine light. If I release the clutch while in neutral, the engine ligh comes on. This is a code 13 which has to do with crank sensor, cam sensors, or ECU.

I am wondering if someone has seen this before where you release clutch and get the code to pop. If I dont release I dont have a code. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I have a feeling this has to do with crank but I am unsure.

Thank you for all input, it is highly appreciated!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check the crank sensor resistance to see if it’s within tolerance. Values are found easily on google. Thankfully, crank sensor replacement is pretty easy if you need to do it.

Seems weird though given your symptoms. Maybe the neutral start switch messed up somehow? If the crank or cam sensors are bad the engine would have trouble starting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check the crank sensor resistance to see if it’s within tolerance. Values are found easily on google. Thankfully, crank sensor replacement is pretty easy if you need to do it.

Seems weird though given your symptoms. Maybe the neutral start switch messed up somehow? If the crank or cam sensors are bad the engine would have trouble starting.

I will check resistance on the crank sensor (thanks for insight) as soon as I have time to jack her up which should be this weekend. The symptoms are weird and specific. The car runs great. I can hold the clutch down and it wont pop up until I release it...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,341 Posts
JZA70’s (factory ones) have no switches on the clutch, so what’s likely happening when you release the clutch is that it’s loading the engine slightly and causing an issue with one of the sensor signals.

I suspect you may need a new sensor.

Jeff

·
Registered
58 Posts
JZA70’s (factory ones) have no switches on the clutch, so what’s likely happening when you release the clutch is that it’s loading the engine slightly and causing an issue with one of the sensor signals.

I suspect you may need a new sensor.

Jeff
Is neutral start switch a north american requirement then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts