Supra Forums banner

261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Did some searching couldn't find a positive answer. In need of a diff rebuilt on my tt 6sp, hoping I don't need to do the ring and pinion. Is there any other option besides factory for the ring and pinion? Thought I saw something I could use the ls400 one??
If you have some feedback on how I could make the first post any more easily understood, please let me know. I'm flabbergasted that you can't read the first few posts in this thread and not have a clear answer.

The 220mm vs 200mm is the ring gear diameter. No Lexus model used a 220mm so there's no cheap Lexus replacement for a big diff ring & pinion.
So only a 220mm ring gear will work with its matched ratio pinion in a 220mm casing. You'll need to find a specific TT 6-spd new or used ring and pinion set to repair your diff, if your ring gear or pinion are damaged. The ratios available are 3.13 (factory US spec) 3.26 (93 to 95 JDM TT 6-spd) and 3.54 for some European/GCC market configurations.

If your car is TT and/or 6-spd swapped and doesn't have a big diff, then yes, any of the small diff ratios listed can be used in your diff casing so long as you install the needed new parts (seals, crush sleeve, etc) and of course the ring & pinion are matched to each other for the specific ratio. You can't mix a 3.92 pinion with a 4.27 ring gear, for example.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the most part, the research will answer most of the questions regarding diff. I have found my answers here. This has been helpful actually cause most of the info have been posted in the beginning. Brando x. Parts from lexus will not fit your 6 speed diff. Ring and pinion set is still available at la grange for a good price, $1060.00 I believe. Some guys have LSD for sale for a good price if you need it. Save your casing, or sell it to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota Supra Ring Gear

I have a 1988 Toyota Supra turbo manual 7mgte r154. Wondering if I have a 200mm ring gear? Anyone know, and can tell me?

·
SUPRAFICIAL
1,518 Posts
Okay so i came on here to try and get some information on my cars diff because im trying to plan on which lsd would fit in the pumpkin.

So my car is a 1994 toyota supra na w58. from looking at this i would be lead to assume that my diff would be this ( NA 93.5-96 US spec---- 4.272:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange* Code A05A )

But my cars sticker says " A02A/w58 " so does that make the diff a part of this category ? TT Auto 97-98 US spec---- 3.769:1, LSD optional but usually installed, small diff, big flange, Code A02A(non LSD) A02D (LSD)

I mean i know my car wasnt originally a TT and its obviously not anything other than a 94.

Just trying to find out what im going to need when i go lsd is either buying an entire pumpkin and diff or what diff is going to fit in the pumpkin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone knows if is possible replace the final gear of a SUPRA MK4 A01B Torsen 8'' 200mm ratio 4.083 ( PN 41201-80027 ) with a final gear of a A03B 8'' 200mm ratio 3.266 ( PN : 41201-19645 ) ?????
Thank you all very much!

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Okay so i came on here to try and get some information on my cars diff because im trying to plan on which lsd would fit in the pumpkin.

So my car is a 1994 toyota supra na w58. from looking at this i would be lead to assume that my diff would be this ( NA 93.5-96 US spec---- 4.272:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange* Code A05A )

But my cars sticker says " A02A/w58 " so does that make the diff a part of this category ? TT Auto 97-98 US spec---- 3.769:1, LSD optional but usually installed, small diff, big flange, Code A02A(non LSD) A02D (LSD)

I mean i know my car wasnt originally a TT and its obviously not anything other than a 94.

Just trying to find out what im going to need when i go lsd is either buying an entire pumpkin and diff or what diff is going to fit in the pumpkin.
Anything that fits the small pumpkin will fit in your first one.

Honestly, the A0xx codes are very inconsistent across all of these models. I don't have any rhyme or reason for it, and despite trying to get a good sample size, there's still inconsistencies. Almost every Supra will show A01x or A02x even if the ratios are different. The size designator (A-series vs B-series) and the final digit of "A" always means open diff and "B" or "D" always means LSD.

Any diff that fits the TT auto or NA Supra will fit in your rear end, same for the various R&P combinations available in the Lexus models, etc that are listed in this thread as a 'small diff'

Someone knows if is possible replace the final gear of a SUPRA MK4 A01B Torsen 8'' 200mm ratio 4.083 ( PN 41201-80027 ) with a final gear of a A03B 8'' 200mm ratio 3.266 ( PN : 41201-19645 ) ?????
Thank you all very much!
Yes, but you will need the Ring and pinion gears to come as a matched set, and installing the new pinion will require a new crush sleeve, as well as the various seals, bearings, etc for the whole differential assembly. Since you're replacing the Pinion, you can also choose to use either the large or small companion flange that bolts to the drive shaft.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quick question :
Just installed/swapped a gs400 3.26 rear into my 94 NA. Bolted right up with the NA axles.
Is this all it needs ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, but you will need the Ring and pinion gears to come as a matched set, and installing the new pinion will require a new crush sleeve, as well as the various seals, bearings, etc for the whole differential assembly. Since you're replacing the Pinion, you can also choose to use either the large or small companion flange that bolts to the drive shaft.
Thank you very much, Wreckless I ordered all parts from Japan.
Another info, exists a work manual with all info to replace the pinion and gear ring and others parts? ... for my LSD A01B

Thanks

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Can Somebody tell me if a USDM LSD TT6spd diff will work with a JDM TT6spd Supra??
They are externally identical to the 93- April 95 JDM TT 6 speed Supra diff. The May 95 onwards JDM TT 6 speed Supra diff has the small diff, but the driveshaft can be modified to work with the big diff if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Wreckless,
I finished the work on the differential, the new final ratio work very well!
Now I have the last problem, the speedometer sign 120km/h but the real speed is 135km/h... I remember you that I have a R154 gearbox. There is a way to change the speedometer signal in order to have the right speed? (i.e. with an ohm trimmer or something similar )

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Hi Wreckless,
Now I have the last problem, the speedometer sign 120km/h but the real speed is 135km/h... I remember you that I have a R154 gearbox. There is a way to change the speedometer signal in order to have the right speed? (i.e. with an ohm trimmer or something similar )
Glad to hear you've got it together! 135km/h is barely moving for a Supra, though! :)
I've used a Dakota Digital SGI-5 speed signal converter on several Chevy/Dodge/Ford builds with similar issues and/or trans swaps, I believe it would work just fine on our Toyotas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Wreckless,
Glad to hear you've got it together! 135km/h is barely moving for a Supra, though!

I've used a Dakota Digital SGI-5 speed signal converter on several Chevy/Dodge/Ford builds with similar issues and/or trans swaps, I believe it would work just fine on our Toyotas.
Thank you very much for the suggestion, I ordered the SGI-5.
135km/h is the 2th gear top speed, after there is the 3th, 4th...😂

·
Registered
339 Posts
@Wreckless

From the sticky;

"Notes:
Any LSD for a 'small diff' application will install into any other 'small diff'. A TT auto or NA Supra's factory option LSD or aftermarket LSD intended for a TT auto or NA will install flawlessly into any other 'small diff' whether it came from a MK4, SC, or GS. "

Answered my question; thanks so much, boss!

·
handy with the steel
331 Posts
If I'm reading correctly, I should be able to install a 4.08 ring and pinion set from a mid 90's SC300 onto my Auto-TT diff?

More specifically, I'd like to upgrade the differential to an OS Giken unit, and I'd like to go to a 4.10-ish ratio...the stock 3.76 is a bit tall coupled with my T56M....4.10 would bring it right about in line with stock V160 gearing.

If this is the case, all I'd need would be the new diff plus Lexus p/n 41201-80027, and the various seals, bolts, etc....

Lots of good info in this thread! Thanks for all who have contributed.

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
If I'm reading correctly, I should be able to install a 4.08 ring and pinion set from a mid 90's SC300 onto my Auto-TT diff?

More specifically, I'd like to upgrade the differential to an OS Giken unit, and I'd like to go to a 4.10-ish ratio...the stock 3.76 is a bit tall coupled with my T56M....4.10 would bring it right about in line with stock V160 gearing.

If this is the case, all I'd need would be the new diff plus Lexus p/n 41201-80027, and the various seals, bolts, etc....

Lots of good info in this thread! Thanks for all who have contributed.
Yes. The 4.082:1 R&P from a Lexus SC or GS so equipped will bolt right in to a 200mm TT auto diff, and it will work perfectly with the OS Giken Super Lock for a TT auto or NA MK4.

261 - 280 of 292 Posts
About this Discussion
291 Replies
117 Participants
1JZ_Cressida
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing