281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
handy with the steel
334 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation!

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
Hey guys, my IS300 has the Subara BRZ rear end from the but the gearing totally sucks! It has 4.11 gears that run out way too soon. Can anyone assist me on figuring out what can fit in place of this and what can get me down to the mid 3s on gearing? I have looked for a ring and pinion for this rear and but NO ONE makes 3.xx for it, everyone wants more than 4.

·
Boost Junkie
12,361 Posts
Hey guys, my IS300 has the Subara BRZ rear end from the but the gearing totally sucks! It has 4.11 gears that run out way too soon. Can anyone assist me on figuring out what can fit in place of this and what can get me down to the mid 3s on gearing? I have looked for a ring and pinion for this rear and but NO ONE makes 3.xx for it, everyone wants more than 4.
Id reach out to PHR and see what they recommend.

STeve

·
Super Moderator
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
It's the same R&P as used in the MK3 Supra. So any MK3 3.73 or 3.91 R&P will drop in to the IS300 diff housing when properly adjusted. A 3.58:1 R&P set is available as well, but only as a used part.

Weir Performance is another good place to call - they deal with a lot of MK3 and other Toyota rear end parts.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,337 Posts
41201-80125 is a 3.58:1 gear set that should still be available from Toyota. It was used on European models until 2010, so you may need to bring it in from Toyota Europe or Japan.
41201-80050 is a 3.73:1 gear set
41201-80052 is a 3.91:1 gear set

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Exactly what I need for my gs6-53dz convesion. Do you have any more info about this diff? The 3.133 diff is nearly impossible to find where I live and the 3.266 is too short for this setup.
Thanks to information shared by Jeff Lange, I know that the FD21A nomenclature matches the newer designations of what we call the 200mm 'small' diff in reference to MK4 compatibility. The illustration seems to show it as being very similar if not identical to the later Lexus 200mm carriers, such as those found in the SC430.

Compatibility with a MK4 chassis is unconfirmed. Potential issues include incompatible axle stubs and an incompatible drive shaft flange. But adding a 2.917 would be exciting for the auto guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 98 supra that was originally a N/A car with an auto transmission but I went ahead and did the TT JDM non-vvti swap with the 5 speed transmission. I want to upgrade to 6 speed V160. Do I have to change my differential? If so can anyone tell me if this looks correct for a 6 speed TT differential? I am making a deal with someone but want to make sure its what's being advertised. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
I have a 98 supra that was originally a N/A car with an auto transmission but I went ahead and did the TT JDM non-vvti swap with the 5 speed transmission. I want to upgrade to 6 speed V160. Do I have to change my differential? If so can anyone tell me if this looks correct for a 6 speed TT differential? I am making a deal with someone but want to make sure its what's being advertised. Thanks in advance.
Yes you need to change your differential to match a V160. I don't mean to sound salty but that has been exhaustively covered on virtually every V160 conversion thread/faq/etc for the past 15+ years, and if you haven't established those basics I would really encourage you to dig deeper and do more research because a V160 conversion is very expensive these days, and I hate seeing fellow enthusiasts under estimate their budget and end up with a parked, half-finished project or worse, have to part things out at a loss because it ended up being too expensive to complete.

The picture is a big flange 220mm 'big diff' from a Supra, and depending on the market it will be a 3.133:1, 3.266:1 or a 3.538:1. The picture isn't quite good enough to say for certain but it looks to have the 1-pot 'NA' rear brakes which would firmly establish that rear end as the 3.266:1 from a 93 to may 96 JDM Supra RZ TT 6-spd. As such, it would be perfect for a V160 conversion and could use all the OEM TT 6-spd support parts to complete the install (drive shaft, etc). Either way it is overwhelmingly likely that it's a 3.266:1 JDM RZ subframe just because it is incredibly unusual to see a US spec rear subframe sold in that fashion, and the 3.538:1 was a Euro/Mid East market option only and profoundly rare compared to the already uncommon US spec cars.

Be mindful also about the OBD-II complications of the swap, being a '98. It will vary by county in California as I understand it but it is extremely problematic to get a JDM 2JZ-GTE swapped fully over to an full Cali-legal OBD-II compliant configuration that'll pass BAR standards.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes you need to change your differential to match a V160. I don't mean to sound salty but that has been exhaustively covered on virtually every V160 conversion thread/faq/etc for the past 15+ years, and if you haven't established those basics I would really encourage you to dig deeper and do more research because a V160 conversion is very expensive these days, and I hate seeing fellow enthusiasts under estimate their budget and end up with a parked, half-finished project or worse, have to part things out at a loss because it ended up being too expensive to complete.

The picture is a big flange 220mm 'big diff' from a Supra, and depending on the market it will be a 3.133:1, 3.266:1 or a 3.538:1. The picture isn't quite good enough to say for certain but it looks to have the 1-pot 'NA' rear brakes which would firmly establish that rear end as the 3.266:1 from a 93 to may 96 JDM Supra RZ TT 6-spd. As such, it would be perfect for a V160 conversion and could use all the OEM TT 6-spd support parts to complete the install (drive shaft, etc). Either way it is overwhelmingly likely that it's a 3.266:1 JDM RZ subframe just because it is incredibly unusual to see a US spec rear subframe sold in that fashion, and the 3.538:1 was a Euro/Mid East market option only and profoundly rare compared to the already uncommon US spec cars.

Be mindful also about the OBD-II complications of the swap, being a '98. It will vary by county in California as I understand it but it is extremely problematic to get a JDM 2JZ-GTE swapped fully over to an full Cali-legal OBD-II compliant configuration that'll pass BAR standards.
Thank you for your expertise bro.

·
DRiFTT
985 Posts
Exploded my diff yesterday at the track. 3.266, TT 6speed diff.....not sure how, but car makes only 506whp and launched at 4000 rpm....I AM seeing a blueish mark on one of the broke pieces which is leading me to believe the last owner broke something and possibly tried to weld it, and it gave up and exploded. Red silicone on back casing also, doesnt look original.

·
DRiFTT
985 Posts
Just got an open Aristo diff from a TT Auto and welded it up....When installed, i realized the flange to driveshaft and rubber is 1 inch shorter......

Any advice? Could the flange be swapped and make up that 1 inch or is it just the housing itself is shorter and i would need an adapter made?

·
Game Over
1,193 Posts
Does anyone know if the back half of a GS/SC400 Big diff driveshaft, work with a SC300's W58 front half?
I just picked up a SC300 5M/T as a new daily, and I'm thinking of swapping out the 4.083:1 small diff, for a 3:266:1 big diff

·
Super Moderator
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Does anyone know if the back half of a GS/SC400 Big diff driveshaft, work with a SC300's W58 front half?
I just picked up a SC300 5M/T as a new daily, and I'm thinking of swapping out the 4.083:1 small diff, for a 3:266:1 big diff
Hey man - been awhile!

SC400 driveshafts with a big-diff flange are hard to find but should work. Only came in 98-00 model year SC400's with the VVTi 1UZ.

Best bet is to find a GS rear half and have a driveshaft place cut/weld/balance the big flange onto your existing 5MT SC300 rear section, or rebuild the 3.266:1 diff with a new pinion seal and crush sleeve and all that jazz and simply install the small flange from your 4.082:1.

·
Game Over
1,193 Posts
Hey man - been awhile!

SC400 driveshafts with a big-diff flange are hard to find but should work. Only came in 98-00 model year SC400's with the VVTi 1UZ.

Best bet is to find a GS rear half and have a driveshaft place cut/weld/balance the big flange onto your existing 5MT SC300 rear section, or rebuild the 3.266:1 diff with a new pinion seal and crush sleeve and all that jazz and simply install the small flange from your 4.082:1.

Hey Jeff! Good to see you still on the forum even after the recent changes lol.
It sounds like those two driveshafts simply won't pair up unless there was some welding involved after all.

I ran the two final drive ratios on Tremec's gear ratio calculator with the W58 and it seems the 3:266:1 would drop the RPM each gear by approximately 500 at a given speed. Part of me is telling me it sounds great for a freeway cruiser, and another part of me feels like it might be a little too much for taking off from dead stops lol.

Then again, I get why people usually don't go through with this due to the hassle of the swap. Maybe I'm just lazy. A small diff TT auto Supra sounds great, but nowadays they are $$.

A 3.916:1 small diff SC400 sounds like another cheap option that drops right in, but the change sounds like it might be negligible. But man, the 4.082:1 feels really short behind the W58. You can literally buck the clutch from a stop without throttle input, and it won't stall the car lol.

281 - 295 of 295 Posts