Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 297 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was wondering if anyone figured out if the Euro spec 3.53 Auto R&P will fit on a US Spec 6 speed differential? If so I can get all of these ring and pinion kits tax free. You will have to pay the US dollar to the Euro rate for that particular day. Just thought that I could help out as well. I can also get the external pump etc. whatever anybody needs I can get tax free.

Gery great information!
Yes, they are the same ring & pinion size and by everything I can find, it would be a direct swap for the US spec 3.133:1 ring & pinion, or the whole differential would swap if that's what you wanted to do.

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
Interesting thread .. Thanks a lot Jeff for sharing those info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
US spec vehicles:

92-97 Lexus SC400 (auto)---- 3.916:1, LSD optional but rare* small diff, big flange

98-00 Lexus SC400 (auto)---- 3.266:1, LSD optional but rare* small diff, big flange

I need verification on the 00-up Lexus models, anyone with a source of this info PLEASE let me know!

*I've personally found an SC400 in the junkyard with a 3.916:1 rear diff with an OEM LSD installed. The car was 100% stock, so I assumed this to be an OEM option, not parts-swapping from a MK4.
Other sources indicate that no Lexus model was offered with an LSD until the IS300 debuted in 2001. I'll update this list as soon as I can confirm it one way or another.
That is VERY interesting/strange. What year SC400? 1992-1997 had the 3.916 ratio so that is my guess. Possibly a factory magazine or pre-production car that was so fitted?

I have always believe your quote "no Lexus model was offered with an LSD until the IS300 debuted in 2001"

Any known 1998-2000 SC400s with confirmed LSD factory installed per above?

It is very normal for the open diffs to develop enough internal friction to function as an LSD (both tires spin burnouts).

The 1998-2000 LS400s with 3.266 open diffs should also be a bolt in with the possibility of swapping the diff cover for bolt placement.

Here is my 1999 LS400 with an open diff that has gone LSD.

·
Blood for Blood
8,323 Posts
1994 USDM TT Auto MKIV Supra

Rear end is an “A01D” Torsen Limited Slip Differential or LSD:
• A- 8inch crown, 200mm ring gear size
• 01- 4.083:1 ratio
• D- Torsen LSD 4 pinion

Differential ratio: 3.769

Ok so how does that all look? Correct....

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's the much older series of Toyota diffs, of which the MK3 had the G-series. These diffs used a letter plus a 3 digit number to follow, such as G285.

Here's the breakdown on Toysport's website:
http://www.toysport.com/technical information/toyota differentials identifications.htm

With the Mk4, SC300, and similar vehicles introduced in the 90's and later, The engine bay/door tags list the differential in 4 characters with a letter at the beginning and the end, such as A01A.

Here's the breakdown for the JDM options: (From http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm )

Crown Wheel Sizes
A (8'' - 200mm), B (8.7'' - 220mm)
Differential Ratios
01 (4.083:1), 02 (3.769:1), 03 (3.267:1), 04 (3.538:1), 05 (4.083:1)
Differential Types
A (Standard open differential), B (Torsen LSD), D (Torsen LSD)

Thus, a JDM TT Auto with LSD would show an A02B - A for the 200mm ring gear, 02 for the 3.769:1 ratio, and 'B' for the Type 1 Torsen LSD.

I'd love to find out the diff code for the USDM 3.133:1 ring gear, that's really the only missing puzzle piece from the JDM list. This JDM list is consistent with the diff codes provided by Gery for the European, Middle Eastern, and World models for which he listed information.

Of further note, this diff code listing is consistent even with my own '01 V6 Tundra beater truck, as it lists an A01A diff on the door tag and it is a factory open 4.083:1 diff - but I haven't measured the crown wheel yet, I will when I install the TRD LSD for it :)

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding!

Jeff
My axle code on my 93.5 6/speed is "B07D" and what does 07 stands for?

·
Registered
566 Posts
1996-7 JDM SZ-R 5 Speed (W58) also had a rare factory LSD. It came on mine. I don't know all the info on it. I have it in my garage but I will update this thread when I get back home.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
1996-7 JDM SZ-R 5 Speed (W58) also had a rare factory LSD. It came on mine. I don't know all the info on it. I have it in my garage but I will update this thread when I get back home.
I don't think model year 1996 - 1997 SZ-R's came with a 5-speed, I think the 6-speed was standard on all SZ-R's (except the earlier models 93 - 95).

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
from feb 97 on the v161 was in all jdm sz-r's along with the torsen but as for the usdm dunno
I think production began sometime in 96, so therefore it's 97+ model year. For the USDM, we were cheated and left with the 5-Speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think production began sometime in 96, so therefore it's 97+ model year. For the USDM, we were cheated and left with the 5-Speed.
man that sucks we got it pretty sweet over here in nz NO emission laws just noise and you can import and drive pretty much anything (so much for our 'clean and green' impression that we try to give off lol)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think model year 1996 - 1997 SZ-R's came with a 5-speed, I think the 6-speed was standard on all SZ-R's (except the earlier models 93 - 95).
? Um yes they do... I live in Japan....

from feb 97 on the v161 was in all jdm sz-r's along with the torsen but as for the usdm dunno
Not 100% positive on production month but it happened somewhere in there when mid year.

The thing I have learned is that the JDM supra's were very personalized depending on owner. Meaning All options were on the table when you brought it from the dealer. The biggests thing I see is the brakes, transmission & lsd's.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
? Um yes they do... I live in Japan....
What is the model number of your SZR:

E-JZA80-ALMSF (5MT)

E-JZA80-ALFSF (6MT)

I have the production date of the 6MT at April of 96 (which is probably the 97 model year).

I'm curious how accurate my production number are.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What is the model number of your SZR:

E-JZA80-ALMSF (5MT)

E-JZA80-ALFSF (6MT)

I have the production date of the 6MT at April of 96 (which is probably the 97 model year).

I'm curious how accurate my production number are.
Sorry I wont be able to check until next year.... Im not in Japan right now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I believe the SZ-R was only available from 96 onwards, prior to that the model was just an SZ.
Negative... I am sure it was available in Japan prior to 96. Im pretty sure you are refering o the RZ and The RZ-S

21 - 40 of 297 Posts